Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,706 times

Advertisements

Most people enroll their children into the Kumon program for a few months and expect great result. Certainly they will be disappointed. This is a complete math program, not just a program for arithmetic like the mental math program with the abacus. If the child follows the program diligently, he/she will achieve great result. There are so much to offer in the Kumon math program. Nowaday, all the top paying jobs are so math related? Engineering, computer science/engineering, actuary and finanace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 AM

259 posts, read 510,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
Good point. It's common knowledge that Asian communities are terrible at math and the sciences. Really.
I chuckled.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM

164 posts, read 364,496 times
I don't think Kumon is worth the money. They don't teach kids. All they do is giving you the worksheets. Math drill sheets are everywhere on the internet and they are free.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,479,395 times
My child was enrolled in Kumon for two years. Not worth it. He is still behind in his reading level and like someone mentioned, all they do is give you worksheets and you sit there in front of your "teacher" and complete them. I wasted thousands on this nonsense. My child does better now with his before and after school free tutoring.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,616 times
My daughter has been with Kumon for two years since 2011, but their strategies in assisting her improve on vocabulary and reading comprehension. Since last year, we switched over to Beestar, which was referred by another parent. My daughter did not seem to like it at first, thinking that it may have been another Kumon. After days with Beestar, she is enjoying the time and activities they offer. We are pleased to see dramatic changes with our daughter's education without having to spend lots of money on workbooks and/or do worksheets alone. Beestar is definitely a keeper!

Old 10-18-2014, 02:22 PM

109 posts, read 158,316 times
To me, kumon is just more busy work and research indicates that homework at the elementary school level does not result in better academic achievement. So yes, waste of money for elementary school age children.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:14 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,241,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Funnily enough, just yesterday I was at B&N looking at some math books for my K child (a GT kid, loves math) and the Kumon books appeared to reflect what has been posted previously in this thread. Lots of repetition, not much variety and oddly enough the grade levels seemed to teach less concepts then the other books, almost like a grade behind. The other two brands books I looked at were better with one being much better, lot's of different ways of looking at problems and nicely laid out strategies for solving more difficult problems. I.e. understanding, not repetition.

Ok, they were just books, not the actual program, but there it is.

Just a comment about the multiplication table, you don't need to know it if you understand how to solve the problem. Memorization won't get you through an engineering program of any repute, you have to understand the concepts from first principles.
I know this is an older post, but I'm most curious what the 'much better' book was.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I know this is an older post, but I'm most curious what the 'much better' book was.
Yep, two years ago now so don't recall but the kumon and the other books I looked at were all at Barnes and Noble so its easy to directly compare and pick one that work s for you.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:54 PM

38 posts, read 41,795 times
My brother sends his daughters to eye level learning center as he researched kumon and found eye level to be a better alternative. He said they have very low student:instructor ratio of 1:4 which was a huge thing for him as he said he saw 1:30 or more in different kumon centers he visited. You can check to see if they are available near you as i saw 8 or 10 in houston area. Apparently they are a big deal in dallas and growing in houston.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 387 times
I would agree that Kumon is good but it is not for my son because he did well at the beginning after take Kumon then I was looking for another option and found out Beestar Online Math Program and it is free then I let my son to give a try then I could clearly see that he is very fun to take that online math program and his progressive is improve. And there is also Online Math Competition from Beestar so my son requested me that he would like to participate on Beestar Online Math Competition which will be started on March this year and it only 10 USD for online registration so I wouldn't say no to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston