Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 11:15 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times

Advertisements

I have searched online but can't find a farmers market in the spring area. We're not yet moved...will be there in two weeks. Anyway, I am strong supporter of local and organic foods. If there isn't a farmers market in place already, I would love to start one. Is there already a market? And if not, do you think a farmers market would do well in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 01:17 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Well, I know three customers for you now.
We have a few places to buy tomatoes. Theiss Market, on the west side of Stuebner Airline north of Louetta, behind the HEB shopping center grow peas, corn and tomatoes, okra, green beans. They are a long standing local farm family. When their stuff plays out, they get some from Tennessee. They generally have some fruit, peaches from the Hill country, strawberries, melons. They also bring in stuff from produce row. There are a few other places where you just see the sign and drive down the road to the stand.
Organic, are you a communists?
When my daughter lived in the bay area, she put a $20 bill under the doormat. Someone left a box of organic produce. It was always a surprise because you got what they had in season. Somebody over by Beltway 8 and 10 has some kind of a community garden but I do not know where. A friend rents space on some acreage up by Holzworth Road and has a big garden.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
I don't get the organic/communist comment...? At any rate, a large part of organic production is sustainability. I know not all organic farms are sustainable, but the two often go hand-in-hand. I would think that would be the opposite of communism.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times
Besides Theiss, there's also Matt Family Orchard. It's on 2920 in Tomball. They sell local veggies and fruits. You can pick seasonal fruits there too. I've been there a few times during permisson season. Here's their website: Welcome to Matt Family Orchard

Other websites that you may be interest:
Pick your own fruits & veggies around Houston & nearby Vicinity: Where to find pick your own farms and orchards in the Houston area of Texas for fruit, vegetables, pumpkins and Christmas trees.

Farmer's Market Listings:
Texas Department of Agriculture's Farmers Market Listings
Dallas, TX Farmer's Markets | Find Farmer's Markets in Dallas, TX

There's also a large one on Airline, passed 610 loop on the West side. It's Canino Produce: Canino Produce Co. Houston's Farmers Market. You need to visit this one at least once. It's a fun place to shop.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,438,293 times
Theiss Market is a very small market on Stuebner Airline near Louetta. It is, however, very good. I always like seeing a local farmer pull up to the place with a load of corn just thrown in the back of his pick up.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM

407 posts, read 1,736,482 times
Tomball has started a framer's market. It's small but growing...

Market brings fresh and local food to Tomball - Houston Community Newspapers: Living

Quote:
This year, Starnes said, the Farmer's Market will be open every Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., for a full season, kicking off April 2 and lasting until July 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston