Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM

789 posts, read 1,527,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was watching channel ... I think is 55-5 that is in Chinese and on Sunday night at midnight they started showing a program teaching people Chinese.
It was ok in my opinion, I've seen better ones.

That show actually came on channel 55-6(CCTV). I haven't seen it in a while. It used to come on before Crossover, if I'm not mistaken.

I watch a lot of shows on the Asian language channels. I was always wondering why they never showed subtitles on the Vietnamese channels. The Chinese Channel 55-5 shows some shows in English, or with subtitles. CCTV(55-6) is always in English, and always has been on cable. Basically, I really do wish they would add more subtitled shows. Maybe if they knew that they had more English watching viewers they would add them. I always wondered why they never had subtitled or English language programming for the many Asian Americans that don't speak an Asian language.

Finally, I just can no longer watch Mexican television. I say Mexican, because I will watch Spanish television haha. But after watching Soccer, Sabado Gigante(and other variety shows), and American movies I have already seen, I just can't do it. I have seen American shows that objectify women, but Mexican TV makes it seem as though that is the only thing women can do. But, that is all another subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
That show actually came on channel 55-6(CCTV). I haven't seen it in a while. It used to come on before Crossover, if I'm not mistaken.
There are actually 2 Chinese lessons program. The one on CCTV-Chinese (55-5) has cartoon characters as I remember. The one that you're referring to, on CCTV-English (55-6), is called "Growing Up With Chinese" hosts by Charlotte Mccinnis (Ai Hua). You haven't seen it in awhile because it was cancelled. However, current announcement on CCTV website is showing that the program is returning with a new season.
CCTV Learn Chinese ??? - Free Mandarin Video Lessons - CCTV-News

Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
There are actually 2 Chinese lessons program. The one on CCTV-Chinese (55-5) has cartoon characters as I remember. The one that you're referring to, on CCTV-English (55-6), is called "Growing Up With Chinese" hosts by Charlotte Mccinnis (Ai Hua). You haven't seen it in awhile because it was cancelled. However, current announcement on CCTV website is showing that the program is returning with a new season.
Ah ha, yes that is it. I just couldn't remember the name of the show. I just know that Charlotte McCinnis would show up on Crossover right after. I didn't really watch it that much, because I have plenty of other languages I am trying to learn before I get to Chinese.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:28 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Houston is a multi language city.
Always bringing new information to the board.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:49 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Ah ha, yes that is it. I just couldn't remember the name of the show. I just know that Charlotte McCinnis would show up on Crossover right after. I didn't really watch it that much, because I have plenty of other languages I am trying to learn before I get to Chinese.
Chinese is the language that I'm trying to learn.
But d..mn it feels like I'm learning 3 different languages at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Is it me, or is going to be shown at 2pm CST?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,616,148 times
Ni hao Dopo! Glad to see you're settling into Houston...are those Chinese programs being broadcast through the Dish network or what...? I remember Ai Hua (Charlotte McGinnis) through the DVD skits she performed in through my textbook series New Practical Chinese Reader.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Ni hao Dopo! Glad to see you're settling into Houston...are those Chinese programs being broadcast through the Dish network or what...? I remember Ai Hua (Charlotte McGinnis) through the DVD skits she performed in through my textbook series New Practical Chinese Reader.
Ni hao Zhugeliang... I'd write something else, but my phrasebook is at home
I love it here, I'm very happy about the move.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:18 AM

348 posts, read 638,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeSentMe View Post
I did once watch a Mexican soap with subtitles. I can't remember which channel. It wasn't one of the trashy ones. It was actually pretty good.
That's how I learned Brazilian Portuguese. By watching Brazilian soap operas.
Sounds unbelievable, but 100% truth. I read magazines, newspapers, watched more soap operas. Then I went to Brazil and my accent and vocabulary improved.
It helped that I remembered some high school Spanish when I started learning Portuguese.
Kids' shows and soap operas are the best tools for language learning.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM

I also watch many foreign language shows and movies. I know some of the Chinese(Mandarin), Korean, Japanese, and Spanish languages. Now all I need to do (and I am planning on) is concentrating on one of them. I already plan on learning over 5 languages, so I better get to it. Also, Rosetta Stone helps a heck of a lot. I love it! It should be a part of every house hold that wants to learn a foreign language. I'm thinking that I will teach my kids Chinese and Spanish (because I live in Tejas) to start off with. But I want to teach them proper Spanish, if that makes since. But that of course is when I have kids, haha.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:58 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,832,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Chinese is the language that I'm trying to learn.
But d..mn it feels like I'm learning 3 different languages at the same time.

Is it me, or is going to be shown at 2pm CST?
No, it's not just you. The show was out for awhile and not is coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Kids' shows and soap operas are the best tools for language learning.
Yep, and that's how I learned English. PBS and sitcoms are good to watch.

Can't master a language until you understand the idioms of the language. That's where sitcoms are a good learning tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston