Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm conflicted with a rather "first world" problem. My Aunt & Uncle have invited us (family of 5) to cruise with them in December (like grandparents to the kids) In our world, it is a once in a lifetime experience... we are roadtrip/camping kind of vacationers, and going almost anywhere as 5 is too pricey for our usual budget. This is a chance where kids cruise free, and we can stay in one room (having a child bunk with aunt & uncle)

Of course, cruises this cheap don't happen on school holidays, and my Aunt & Uncle can't afford the high seasons either (retired farmers)

We have booked for Dec 4-11, KISD lets out of school Dec 16. The kids will be in grade 2, 4, & 6. (6th grade Junior High, I don't know what to expect) The thought behind this date was that the kids would have the next week of school (Dec 12-16) to make up missed work.

But as school winds down for the summer, I am remembering more and more, how that last week of the semester is always "light" (at least in elem) The last day is a half day with parties (nothing gets done) I seem to remember that math, spelling, reading homework slowed or stopped.

So I am tempted to switch the date to Dec 11-18. The kids wouldn't be able to make anything up, but maybe they aren't missing much that week?

My biggest concern is the one that will be in 6th grade, Junior High. Do they do finals, and if so, is it that last week? Also all 3 kids are A-B students, but 6th grader will be taking Pre-AP in 3 subjects, which may be harder than she's used to.

We NEVER pull our kids out of school. Seriously. Even doc & dentist appointments on school holidays. They are rarely sick, and usually get perfect attendance. This is majorly out of my comfort zone, but it means a lot to my aunt & uncle to provide a 3 generation vacation, and they are sooo looking forward to it.

Also note, I (we) would accept the consequences of this choice. I'm not about to beg a teacher to make a special exception for my vacationing children. If it means zeros, etc... we will just have to face that reality and not gripe later when the report card comes. And no, lying (calling in sick) is not an option. Even if I weren't opposed to lying, the kids can't keep a secret!

I guess I am looking for input... Which week is better? Dec 4-11... with a week to make up the work? Dec 11-18 with (maybe) less happening academically at school, but no time for making up work?
How will either of these affect the middle schooler?

My aunt says not to worry so much, people do it all the time. But I gotta tell you, that KISD handbook has me worried!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:04 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,241 times
Your best bet is to call the schools themselves and ask them abt it. They can tell you when finals and what not are so you can better plan. We have friends who pull their kids out all the time but they are 1st and below. Not as big of a deal for the younger ones.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM

488 posts, read 1,382,925 times
My son is just finishing 6th Grade. He was telling me that one of the girls in his class will be out of school this week for a vacation but will be back next week for the last 2 1/2 days. He told me because on Friday she had been given all her work for this week to do while she was on vacation (which he said was a lot). She will miss a maths test on Friday which was for a major grade. I asked him what would happen he said she would score a 0%.

If it makes you feel any better ask yourself - would your life be any different if you had missed a week of school in 6th Grade or would you rather have memories of spending a once in a lifetime holiday with your grandparents, who won't be around forever. Both my husband and I lost of grandmothers within the last year and I know how I would answer.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM

687 posts, read 2,127,745 times
Even if your kids are not allowed to make up work, and get zeros for uncompleted assignments during the missed time, I'd still advocate for taking the vacation with family. As you said, you don't take missing school lightly, and I'm sure your kids get that message. Also, as ChocolateBabz said, who knows how much time we have with loved ones? Also, if they are good students, one bad grade in middle school won't affect their records. And finally, grades in middle school don't count towards your child's rankings in high school. The clock starts ticking on the first day of high school. That's when every single grade counts. Maybe the school will accomodate you all, and I hope they do. But if they don't, go anyway, and enjoy the time with your aunt and uncle!

Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Public schools should accomodate you. This IS a learning experience.

Offer to have the 6th grader take the semester exams before he goes. Most schools should work with you on that. I know many junior athletes that have to miss exams and tests. Offering to take them before hand makes the school and teachers happy.

Heck I know one girl that was never in school during finals, 9th-12th.Her annual regional competitions where during that week. She always took them the week before she left.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM

469 posts, read 1,100,548 times
I though Fort Bend County has truancy laws where you can't take you kids out of school for more than two days? I have heard several of our friends with school aged children talk about it.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Actually I found an article. From that Article:

"According to the Texas Education Code, a student (or, if the student is in an elementary school, that student’s parent) commits the offense of truancy if he or she is absent “10 or more days or parts of days within a six-month period in the same school year or on three or more days or parts of days within a four-week period.” Truancy is a Class C misdemeanor under the law."

"Rodriguez said he believes the problem many parents have is not with the way the truancy policy itself is carried out, but with the fact the district will not consider a family vacation as an excused absence."

A Tougher Fort Bend ISD Truancy Policy Bears Fruit, But Not All Of It As Expected | FortBendNow.com (http://www.fortbendnow.com/2009/03/16/36417 - broken link)

Old 05-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Normally the truency laws apply to "UNAPPROVED" absences. 10 or more unapproved absences require action.

There's HUGE list of approved. Many districts do approved foriegn travel, and even some domestic, as it's educational. Maybe FBISD is different. But I think that a week seeing different cultures is far more educational than some of the stuff the kids are "taught."

Old 05-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Normally the truency laws apply to "UNAPPROVED" absences. 10 or more unapproved absences require action.

There's HUGE list of approved.
The OP is going on a family vacation with 5 school days missed. Texas state law says that 3 or more days in a 4 week span is considered truancy and Fort Bend does not consider a family vacation as an approved absence. Others have suggested that the OP should go to the school to ask but that would get a big NO in Fort Bend.

I feel it should be excused for a family vacation but thats not how Fort Bend ISD sees it. The OP is worried about the assignments that will be missed but I wanted to point out that they may have a court date and a fine waiting for them when they come back.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM

<never mind you went back and edited your post>

Thankfully the OP in is in KISD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: