Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 03:32 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,797 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am looking for an used car lot in the Houston area with decent cars. I am looking for something inexpensive (about $3000). I've been down Shepard but looking for suggestions of other places to look.

I have an SUV now but is using waaaaayyyyy too much gas. Because of my new job my daily commute in total is about 50 miles so I am also looking for something that is pretty good on gas. This would basically be an everyday/run around vehicle.

Any suggestions of any older cars I should look into and where to look in the area? (4 doors and legroom, I am tall so this is important. I don't need a huge amount of legroom but must have enough room to drive without my knee in my chest )

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,580,682 times
Check out

New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com

houston cars & trucks - all classifieds - craigslist

Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,328,701 times
I think DJboutit gave you the best answers. You're best bet, in my opinion, is going to be craigslist. Spend $50 and buy the Carfax reports (I think you can get 5 reports for $50, or something like that) and make sure you run it on any car you're serious about.

Also (and this isn't meant to sound racist, but my wife and I went through this about 2 weeks ago getting our minivan) if the seller is Indian chances are he's reselling a car he bought from someone else. My experience with this group has been that they lie through their teeth about the cars -- I can't tell you how many times Carfax saved me from buying a piece of crap that was advertised as being from the first owner, never in an accident etc etc.

Just my two-cents.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:56 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I think DJboutit gave you the best answers. You're best bet, in my opinion, is going to be craigslist. Spend $50 and buy the Carfax reports (I think you can get 5 reports for $50, or something like that) and make sure you run it on any car you're serious about.

Also (and this isn't meant to sound racist, but my wife and I went through this about 2 weeks ago getting our minivan) if the seller is Indian chances are he's reselling a car he bought from someone else. My experience with this group has been that they lie through their teeth about the cars -- I can't tell you how many times Carfax saved me from buying a piece of crap that was advertised as being from the first owner, never in an accident etc etc.

Just my two-cents.
CARFAX misses lots of stuff... definitely not a totally reliable source. Get a good independent mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. carfax.com | Rip-off Report: 246523

Old 05-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
CARFAX misses lots of stuff... definitely not a totally reliable source. Get a good independent mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. carfax.com | Rip-off Report: 246523
That's true -- Carfax isn't completely reliable, but it's definitely $10 well spent. I'd second taking it to a mechanic for a check-out.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM

29 posts, read 89,956 times
Default worse than used car dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
.....................CUT.......................... ............

Just my two-cents.
I am second to that, also be aware the Russian sellers too. They buy total salvage vehicles than repair the body parts and trying to re-sell them as one-owner vehicles. Try Carfax first as primary test, then the body shop then the computerized analysis. I am sorry for my English.
Hope it helps,

Old 05-28-2011, 06:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Hi,

I am looking for an used car lot in the Houston area with decent cars. I am looking for something inexpensive (about $3000). I've been down Shepard but looking for suggestions of other places to look.

I have an SUV now but is using waaaaayyyyy too much gas. Because of my new job my daily commute in total is about 50 miles so I am also looking for something that is pretty good on gas. This would basically be an everyday/run around vehicle.

Any suggestions of any older cars I should look into and where to look in the area? (4 doors and legroom, I am tall so this is important. I don't need a huge amount of legroom but must have enough room to drive without my knee in my chest )

Thanks!
Yeah I'm currently in the process of getting a new car and I'm using craiglist.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:01 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

I think you're confusing reliable source to not always being completely accurate. And awesome website. Do you know that in 8yrs there's only 5 reports on Carfax on that site? Sounds like a real problem to me. rollseyes.jpg

Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 AM

410 posts, read 1,495,797 times
Thanks for the info.

Any other suggestions?????

Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
Thanks for the info.

Any other suggestions?????
Aside from autotrader / newspaper / craigslist, you'll just have to check all the hundreds of dealers in the city. I'm not aware of one over the other than has a reputation for 'great deals on used cars'. As a general rule, I'd imagine the bigger the dealership, the better the cars / warranty and the higher the price.

For a few thousand bucks you'll probably have to just pull over on the side of the road at one of the "No credit, No problem" type of places and roll the dice.

Remember though, a dealership makes their money selling new cars, so they will probably be pretty receptive to making a good deal on a used car that's been sitting in their lot for a while. From what I've heard, they usually hold a used car for just a month or two before sending it to an auction to get it out. The only reason they typically buy them is to facilitate the purchase of a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston