Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:27 AM

9 posts, read 11,835 times

Advertisements

Great stuff!!! Thanks again for those helpful responses!!!

@debzkidz: The 2k indeed included taxes but still seems very high to me. From all I've read here it seems I should buy right away, rather than temporarily renting a car. However, I will have a look if I am covered through credit cards or my home insurance (thanks, houstonfan).

@RCH99: I will keep that in mind . I have been a huge basketball fan of the Rockets since Hakeem and Clyde rocked the league (that is why I have the nick). I hope they make the playoffs, when I am over there (conference final versus the mavericks - that would be so cool!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 7,213 times
I've worked for BMW in Houston for 21 years now Chris...Your comment about leasing NEVER being a good option is just not true..It's a great way for the typical German car lover to feed their habit...Most folks trade their vehicles in around the 36 month range & the lease will offer tremendous advantages over a conventional purchase plan...I'd be happy to help you understand if you'd like to pm me...lol

Old 06-08-2011, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 11,835 times
@ vmg1962 - thanks, I'll write you a PM...

One other issue surfaced today when I looked at car insurance. Given that I never had a car insurance in the US I have no driving history, which will make the car insurance very expensive. Did somebody who relocated to Houston solve that issue somehow?

Thanks again for all your answers and valuable help and support!!!

Clyde

Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,038,136 times
Clyde, welcome to Houston and thanks for helping in paying for the Texans stadium. Those taxes are some of the highest and were jacked up for the Texans. You won't have full coverage insurance on a car through your own insurance so you'll have to get the rentals insurance which can be as much as the daily rental. I don't know if you can get insurance through say Farmers or State Farm for a rental on your own. But if you have no driving record then it may not be much if at all cheaper.

Just pay cash for one. There's tons of cars that can be had for under 2k that are good enough to get by.

Old 06-09-2011, 03:34 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,139,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde the Glide View Post
Hi everyone,
@ BDFP: Wow, it looks like you really thought this through!!! Buying with cash is an option, however I am a bit afraid of all the other upfront costs associated with the relocation (therefore I rather prefer a monthly payment as oppose to paying everything upfront). But lets see how the dealers respond, probably I end up buying a car with cash anyways.
Ok. I you do go the internet route let me know and I'll relay what I've learned. Note one of the dealers who quoted a price dropped out after I said I'd do the deal, he said we would have to wait until I was in Houston to proceed! This after about a dozen emails back and forth negotiating.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
One other issue surfaced today when I looked at car insurance. Given that I never had a car insurance in the US I have no driving history, which will make the car insurance very expensive. Did somebody who relocated to Houston solve that issue somehow?
My problem too.

I was told by my agent in Houston my previous driving record and insurance records from other countries didn't matter as they would have no way of verified them. He said I would be considered the highest (lowest?) rating to start out excepting teenagers but over three years of a clean driving record it would gradually normalize. I sensed an uphill battle and gave in.

I just got the quotes today from the agent (works for one of the big national insurers) and it came out to just under two grand per year for two cars. He quoted for the most expensive versions of cars I mentioned when I met him, a Ford Explorer Limited and a Ford Taurus Limited (we're not spending that much and the the Taurus is now a Mazda 4cyl). This is for comprehensive cover and $1M liability.

This was way better than I expected but I'm used to living in a very expensive country.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,498,739 times
Quote:
@ vmg1962 - thanks, I'll write you a PM...

Thanks again for all your answers and valuable help and support!!!

Clyde
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
My problem too.

I was told by my agent in Houston my previous driving record and insurance records from other countries didn't matter as they would have no way of verified them. He said I would be considered the highest (lowest?) rating to start out excepting teenagers but over three years of a clean driving record it would gradually normalize. I sensed an uphill battle and gave in.

I just got the quotes today from the agent (works for one of the big national insurers) and it came out to just under two grand per year for two cars. He quoted for the most expensive versions of cars I mentioned when I met him, a Ford Explorer Limited and a Ford Taurus Limited (we're not spending that much and the the Taurus is now a Mazda 4cyl). This is for comprehensive cover and $1M liability.

This was way better than I expected but I'm used to living in a very expensive country.
It's true your past driving history will not count in the US. One way you could save is to buy an old used car for a few grand just to tie you over for a few years. Get coverage for liability and all the other stuff but not for dammage to the car b/c in the rare likelihood if u totalled it, it wouldn't be a big deal for you to replace. Once u have a better driving history and rates go lower, u can buy a nicer and newer car.
-1Mill coverage? That seems really high but maybe you have a lot of people driving?
-Each insurance company has their formula for calc your cost so it pays to shop around. I think Geico used to have lower rates for people without history.
-Also, insurance rate depends on type of car you drive. Obviously it will cost more to cover a BMW than for a Mazda, more for a sports coupe than family sedan, etc.
-Also, many companies let you save significantly on your insurance if you take drivers ed class or online safe driving course.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDFP View Post
My problem too.

Just FYI the typical car insurance coverage is 60k so if the guy sold you a 1 million policy he took you for a ride. I can only imagine the kind of Hollywood type car wreck that would have to ensue for you to pay out a million bucks.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 AM

Default Ooops!

Oops! Just re-read the quote, it was for six months! That's more like what I was expecting, I should have known it was to good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
Just FYI the typical car insurance coverage is 60k so if the guy sold you a 1 million policy he took you for a ride. I can only imagine the kind of Hollywood type car wreck that would have to ensue for you to pay out a million bucks.
You're only carrying $60k in liability insurance?!

So it you hit someone, or they hit you, and they sue you for their injuries (real or imagined) do you really think $60k is protecting your finances, your home? Remember the personal injury lawyers are working on contingency, any nutjob off the street can hire them without spending a dime. Your defense lawyer will be hourly and may expect a retainer. $60k won't even get you to the trial. The insurance company won't even bother defending you for $60k. For $1M, they'll be front and center on your defense.

Old 06-10-2011, 08:54 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,498,739 times
I tend to think the lawyers won't go after you if you don't have much coverage whereas if they know you have 1mill policy, they'll likely go after you. Faulty logic? lol.
Even the pushiest of agents tried to sell me 100k/300k/100k, never been offered a 1mill policy.
Anyway, if you're worried, I 'think' you can buy an umbrella policy, which is really cheap and covers many things, not just car accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston