Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM

59 posts, read 258,981 times

Advertisements

I'm an Automotive Engineer from Detroit Metro (What else could I be?) I can see that I will have to make a career change before long. Japanese are out-marketing US automakers. I assumed that Houston is where the Oil Corporations "live". Maybe I'm wrong. Where is the best source for Oil Industry type positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:59 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,577 times
it's not just a marketing thing...

Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 AM

88 posts, read 301,050 times
Houston is home to the largest petrochemical complex in the U.S. (trailing only Rotterdam, The Netherlands) followed by Newark, NJ. Moving to Newark may not be as big of a change climate and culture wise compared to Houston, which is nearly tropical (surprisingly the mosquitos are bigger and nastier in places like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Washington, so do not let that deter you; A/C takes the heat of the equation for most). Occupationally speaking, Houston is on fire with no sign of stopping anywhere in the near future.

It depends on a whole lot of variables in your decision to come here or not. Unbelievably nice people, diversity, and food (from literally every region of the U.S. and world; including Cubano, NewMex-Mex, and Creole/Cajun) are present here, but beyond these you should do some soul searching to figure out the other variables in order to help yourself decide what it is that you really want in your present and future life.

Hopefully you will decide on Houston. I have lived in more cities than most and I have chosen it over all of the other places in the U.S. and world that I have lived in (transient due to my job; petrochemical related). Research, research, research; for you could either hate it, love it, or it might grow on you. Contrary to what people think there is always room for more people down here. The more the merrier I say!
You should at least make a visit. When here try these places out for a real feel: Hot Town, Cool City | Locations Cheers!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 PM

Thanks Historian/Traveller. Those are among my hobbies as well. I've been thinking about making an industry change and relocation for 5+ years now and think I will look around Houston. In truth, I am looking for an expat assignment so, the city is not as important. The only thing holding me back is my house that's been on the market (Its a Forclosure Market here in MI) the last 4 years. In the mean time, I wanted to get some feelers out there in the petoleum industry.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
and you know that because someone tells you...

Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 AM

Getting involved in the petrochemical business and being able to travel or live temporarily in other places in the world is about as close as you'll get to being in the military (in terms of working and seeing the sites simultaneously). Houston (as the base city for this occupational field) is truly what you are looking for. People specifically like you are in high-demand to fulfill jobs like the one you are hunting for here in Houston. It will fulfill that part wholly if you are truly ready and willing. And as a home base, it is always nice to come back to. Once you're used to it (and with the hard-earned capital you WILL make here in this field) it's no problem to afford going back home to Michigan to visit friends and family or vice versa.

The foreclosure market, although traditionally hard to deal with due to the fact that you are taking a 'bath' so to speak on your original investment, can yield some promising buyers looking to buy low in order to sell high. You should be able to play bids to a point that you're getting the most that you can get out of it. You need to realize that if you really want out of a foreclosure market for different waters you are GOING to lose some of your initial investment capital. It does depend on the degree of severity of foreclosures in your immediate area though too. Are you in the burbs or in the city?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 PM

59 posts, read 191,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post
and you know that because someone tells you...
Actually, here in Houston I see two to three domestic car company commercials for every Japanese commercial. Same with bill boards. Foreign marketing has little to do with Detroit’s problems even if that story is a feel good, albeit wrong, assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post
I'm an Automotive Engineer from Detroit Metro ..... Where is the best source for Oil Industry type positions?
As far as oil/petrochemical activity, Houston is the place to be. As an automotive engineer you will need to identify what engineering skills are applicable to the oil industry.

If you designed car interiors, then isocyanates, plastic and associated additives manufacturing is plentiful in Houston.

If you worked on paints and coatings, there is plenty of manufacturing.

There are companies that specialize in lubricants.

If you have some fuel/thermodynamics experience, a refinery may consider you.

Houston is not so big in metal working/stamping/casting/forging relative to the industries I mentioned above.

A direct path to the Houston oil/petrochem market is a Houston-focused resume on Career Builder, Monster, etc. Head hunters are plentiful and can be a short cut. Certainly they will call you if you have the right skills.

Last edited by Consider_Again; 08-08-2007 at 03:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2007, 03:44 PM

I agree with Consider_Again. The statement, "Houston is not so big in metal working/stamping/casting/forging relative to the industries I mentioned above," is true too but it is still pretty big due to pipeline engineering/construction and oil platform building (which right now is as prevalent as it has ever been because of offshore drilling and offshore windfarms). This place is actually an engineer's paradise. Engineers are brought in and hired from universities all over the world representing every type of engineering degree that's out there. Don't let this scare you at all though, YOU are still very much needed, I guarantee it!

Old 08-09-2007, 03:30 PM

My house is outside the suburbs 35 miles outside Detroit City. I'm aware that I will have to take a loss to regain my freedom. The problem is that the hit is too excessive. One offer was $35k less than I bought it for; the realtor thought I should've taken it.

Just to demonstrate the market, most homes are selling 30% less than listed. Most owners are taking loans to sell their homes. I have listed my house the last 4 summers. I'm only excepting pre-approved buyers to look at the house because many buyers are not buyers at all, either curious neighbors, selling their own homes and want to see mine, or lost their homes and want to get in to talk to me about renting. I had one viewer this summer.

One person doesn't design a section of an automobile; several Engineering teams and supplier teams design, integrate, retrofit, adapt, test, and evaluate performance, create dunnage, and establish logistcs for each part on several design levels and build levels that integrates with the whole package. An entire support team has a large focus on one small part. That way you can drive down the highway at speeds greater than 100mph, adjust your radio, talk on the phone, or any other multi-tasking activity while you act annoyed with other drivers going too slow for you. All the time taking for granted the complex miracle the auto does for you.

The best thing for me is to find recruiters in the Houston area.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:43 AM

18 posts, read 50,443 times
Just for your info I have been working in the Petrochem business for around 20 years and will be coming to Houston in the next couple of months from the Uk...why...well there is a massive shortfall in engineers at the moment, so I am in the happy position of being very much in demand, however don't be mislead into thinking it's easy, moving around and working on vessels and in other cultures isn't always a breeze, sure the money is good but expectations are also high, I don't want to put you off but you may find yourself starting low on the pole again because putting stuff in a marine environment can be a nightmare...how many cars have to work submerged in seawater for 25 years with minimal maintenence? And a service can cost upwards of a few million dollars.

Good luck though, try Oilcareers.com or similar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: