Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:07 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
Why don't you speak for yourself and don't assume "we people" and "our budgets" stance.

Thanks Elnia for the link, sounds good.
I did speak for my self as well as the many people struggling out there. Didn't mean to offend the rich folk like you who wear blinders to the beggars on the street corners that you barely notice from the tinted windows of your Mercedes.

In my defense I did misread Elnina's post to mean $34 for one meal not 2 which is certainly affordable to the working slobs out there. If you noticed I did tell her these announcements for good deals is an awesome idea but the other post for $160 something for a meal was not very proper.

My store is in the heart of the Galleria, the Beverly Hills of Texas. There are more beggars here then any other areas. I volunteer to help these people at food banks and shelters because I am able. You should try it sometime. Having a heart for poor people is a wonderful thing to posses. Enjoy your meal too...

And Elnina was kind enough to write me and her comments were very appreciated by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 PM

61,723 posts, read 87,123,005 times
The other deal, a 'Exquisite' French 3-course dinner was $65 for two, or $32.50 per person. I posted it having in mind Father's Day. They deserve a special treat

Old 06-17-2011, 04:27 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,431 times
This is a great deal for an all meat buffet! I'm not much a meat eater and would be wasted but it is still a good deal. Thanks ElNina.

Desertsun41, if you were to speak for yourself only, perhaps you should have PM personally to ElNina. The way you posted here, sure seemed like you were speaking for all of us. And may I say, I just about had enough from people that they always think they can speak for me. Sorry for being so bluntly but this is simply just rude! Not to mention, before attacking someone, you'd need to read every single word and between the lines before making such a comment. Just because you're helping those particular group of "poor" folks, it certainly doesn't make you any better than the rest of us. What makes you think that we're not helping others as well?! If you don't know, please don't be so quick to judge of others.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:47 PM

502 posts, read 934,430 times
Lol at the blinder comment. So since people that worked hard and were rewarded with being able to live a certain lifestyle should feel bad for others that are not so fortunate? Kinda twisted there huh? Sorry if I earned it I'm blowing it without a care in the world!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:07 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeptech210 View Post
Lol at the blinder comment. So since people that worked hard and were rewarded with being able to live a certain lifestyle should feel bad for others that are not so fortunate? Kinda twisted there huh? Sorry if I earned it I'm blowing it without a care in the world!
Exactly! After all, this land is known for the "Land of Opportunity".

Old 06-17-2011, 07:01 PM

561 posts, read 972,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I did speak for my self as well as the many people struggling out there. Didn't mean to offend the rich folk like you who wear blinders to the beggars on the street corners that you barely notice from the tinted windows of your Mercedes.

In my defense I did misread Elnina's post to mean $34 for one meal not 2 which is certainly affordable to the working slobs out there. If you noticed I did tell her these announcements for good deals is an awesome idea but the other post for $160 something for a meal was not very proper.

My store is in the heart of the Galleria, the Beverly Hills of Texas. There are more beggars here then any other areas. I volunteer to help these people at food banks and shelters because I am able. You should try it sometime. Having a heart for poor people is a wonderful thing to posses. Enjoy your meal too...

And Elnina was kind enough to write me and her comments were very appreciated by me.

I work in the Galleria area and I do see the po' folks out there and I help out with whatever I can. But, I'm not going to feel remorse that I'm enjoying the money I earned by getting my a$$ up at 6am, going through traffic, work work work and stress about deadlines, meetings, objectives, etc.

To say its "wrong" for someone to show you where to find a good meal to enjoy doesn't truly make sense.

But I do agree with you on one point. People need to be more humble and try to not to show off their wealth. That is what peeve's me the most about all these fancy areas, I mean its great that you were able to afford such things but honestly, what is the point of a car like a Porsche? its small and impractical. AND IF ANYTHING IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR HAVING SOME MID-LIFE CRISIS/ISSUES. And please don't think because you bought a car that is a little fancy, you are special, I would love to be there so I can put you in your place.

God gave you the opportunities and privileges to have the ability to do the things you want so Dont be arrogant and flaunt it in front of others, it can just as easily be taken away from you!

There done with my rant...

Last edited by OducksFTW!; 06-17-2011 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:34 PM

57 posts, read 143,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Wow, what an insulting post.

How do you know who is rich and who isn't? You offended me and I don't drive a Mercedes (far from it). You sound like one of those people who has a chip on your shoulder and is angry at anyone who may make more money than you.

There was a time when our family lived on a super-tight budget and McDonald's was the only thing we could afford (and only once a month at that). We are now in a place where we can spend a little more on eating out. My husband has his own business and works 60+ hours per week. The original post would definitely be something I'd look forward to, since I can't afford to pay the regular price.

You also insinuate that us 'rich folks' have no concept of community service and helping the needy. We can only 'have a heart' if we have no money? Again, you have no idea what charitable activities people on the board are involved in. You shouldn't assume things you know nothing about.

Geez.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:47 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidoremi View Post
Wow, what an insulting post.

How do you know who is rich and who isn't? You offended me and I don't drive a Mercedes (far from it). You sound like one of those people who has a chip on your shoulder and is angry at anyone who may make more money than you.

There was a time when our family lived on a super-tight budget and McDonald's was the only thing we could afford (and only once a month at that). We are now in a place where we can spend a little more on eating out. My husband has his own business and works 60+ hours per week. The original post would definitely be something I'd look forward to, since I can't afford to pay the regular price.

You also insinuate that us 'rich folks' have no concept of community service and helping the needy. We can only 'have a heart' if we have no money? Again, you have no idea what charitable activities people on the board are involved in. You shouldn't assume things you know nothing about.

Geez.
Oh give me a break. It's over. Go enjoy your money where ever your little heart desires. I insulted no one so get off the band wagon. It don't operate anymore.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I work in the Galleria area and I do see the po' folks out there and I help out with whatever I can. But, I'm not going to feel remorse that I'm enjoying the money I earned by getting my a$$ up at 6am, going through traffic, work work work and stress about deadlines, meetings, objectives, etc.

To say its "wrong" for someone to show you where to find a good meal to enjoy doesn't truly make sense.

But I do agree with you on one point. People need to be more humble and try to not to show off their wealth. That is what peeve's me the most about all these fancy areas, I mean its great that you were able to afford such things but honestly, what is the point of a car like a Porsche? its small and impractical. AND IF ANYTHING IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR HAVING SOME MID-LIFE CRISIS/ISSUES. And please don't think because you bought a car that is a little fancy, you are special, I would love to be there so I can put you in your place.

God gave you the opportunities and privileges to have the ability to do the things you want so Dont be arrogant and flaunt it in front of others, it can just as easily be taken away from you!

There done with my rant...
I don't begrudge anyone over what they might have that perhaps I can't afford. I know a lot of people who are very well off financially and I have found the majority of them to be charitable and often silently charitable (meaning they don't toot their own horns). What is the point of driving a Porsche - some people have a need for speed that only a car like that can satisfy (and they are quite beautiful machines), and drive them at race tracks around the area as a hobby - and they are still charitable people. Before anyone gets upset -- no I don't have one nor can I afford one (but I have enjoyed riding in a friends) ... I drive a Hyundai. If someone takes a vacation to Europe, I am happy they got to see more of the world and not jealous. Many people work really hard and for that hard work, like to enjoy what they have earned and everyone has a different way in which they enjoy it. Sort of the glass is half full vs. the glass is half empty philosophy I suppose.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,656 times
I like how those of us that can afford an occasional nice dinner out are automatically not helping out those that are less fortunate. Thanks for assuming!

I didn't find it insulting, just funny.

Elnina, you're always thoughtful. I don't usually partake in these deals but I do appreciate knowing about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: