Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,918,115 times

Advertisements

We moved to northwest Houston from Seattle seven years ago and find Houston to be very livable. Seattle is great, we go back and forth a lot (hey, I'm in Seattle now - cold rainy day in June, ahem) but Houston is indeed much easier to travel to and from due to its central location and major hub airport. We live just inside the beltway off 290 and find it to be very convenient - easy access to areas north and west via the beltway, less than half an hour to IAH. DH works downtown and his commute is usually 20-30 minutes. We find much of the congestion on 290 is outside the beltway.

The summer heat in Houston is brutal, be warned. But, the winters are temperate and bright. There is AC everywhere, just as in Seattle no home would be without a furnace. You will adapt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 PM

404 posts, read 1,031,953 times
I moved down here from Bellevue 3 years ago and will be moving up to Bellevue this August, so I guess I can provide you with some insight.

Your first summer or two will be hell. You'll think it's way too hot and you won't want to do anything. As soon as you step outside, you'll feel the humidity and your clothes sticking to your skin.

Let's move on to the people themselves. People here are a lot more laid back. This is sometimes good, but some are too laid back and do not get things done in a certain amount of time like some people from Seattle would expect. Moreover, this area is a lot more religious than Seattle. If you're religious, then it will be a great fit for you. Personally, as someone who is not of faith, I do not appreciate having people tell me I'm wrong because I don't believe in something that they do.

Another thing that's a little bit different is driving ethics. Rarely will you see most people next to you drive at/around the speed limit. When I moved here, I was told that the speed limit was a guide as to how fast I was going, not necessarily something that would be enforced if I went 10 mph over the limit.

Here's what's better than Seattle. Everything is cheaper...and I do mean everything. This is a HUGE deal. You can get a brand-new house in the suburbs for less than $200,000. Try that in Seattle or the suburbs. Gas is currently less than $3.40/gallon at most places here. Once again, you will not find gas to be that cheap anywhere in Seattle.

As for the "true" international airport, Sea-Tac is a "true" international airport. It serves around 31 million passengers per year compared to Houston Intercontinental's 40 million. The fact is that Seattle has tons of flights to Asia whereas Houston has tons of flights to Latin America.

I may sound bitter about my move. However, I can tell you that I've learned a lot about a new city/state and about myself. I hope that you choose what's best for you and that you, too, will have the chance to experience a different city!

Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM

236 posts, read 472,586 times
Thanks for the input everyone. Fortunately for me I have lived in Alabama and Georgia prior to moving to Seattle and most of my family is in SC or So FL so the heat factor wont be a big shock. My wife and I feel trapped in Seattle. Each overcast 50-60° day pushes us closer and closer to moving. But we are in the preliminary stage trying to get ideas and opinions. Make sure we calculate the cost before proceeding. Its hard to walk from good jobs a nice house and family but we are sick most of the year due to allergies and sinuses and always cold. Enough about our problems. Please keep giving insight its really helpful. Thank you

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM

149 posts, read 232,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. Fortunately for me I have lived in Alabama and Georgia prior to moving to Seattle and most of my family is in SC or So FL so the heat factor wont be a big shock. My wife and I feel trapped in Seattle. Each overcast 50-60° day pushes us closer and closer to moving. But we are in the preliminary stage trying to get ideas and opinions. Make sure we calculate the cost before proceeding. Its hard to walk from good jobs a nice house and family but we are sick most of the year due to allergies and sinuses and always cold. Enough about our problems. Please keep giving insight its really helpful. Thank you
I've been considering a move to Houston - among other cities - and I've been monitoring the heat and humidity there on a daily basis. I've lived in South Carolina my entire life, and while it is hot here, it is not something I can not deal with.

The heat and humidity in the part of SC I'm in and Houston are almost identical. Some days it's hotter here.

I've considered living in NYC, but I'm probably going to choose Houston because the COL is MUCH, MUCH lower in Houston.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Whichway,
If hot weather is a concern you could explore the Pacific Northwest. Excessive Heat and sunshine are rare hear. Bit I hear my in laws complain about the triple digit heat this past week. Was in Columbia area in June 2010. We loved the heat. Walked around and spent a fair amount of time outdoors. Plus went up to Carowinds. My opinion is far more to do in hot weather than cold weather...but it just my opinion. I love the feel of the summer nights 70ish and humid.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:56 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,643 times
after spending just about my whole life in Texas and mostly in Houston I've never had anyone complain to me about my non-religious beliefs. i've told people i am "militantly secular." most people leave you alone. if you find yourself in a neighborhood where people arent like this you most likely live in a not cool neighborhood

im not far from a hindu temple, synagogue, and a mosque that are within eyesight of each other. in other parts of the globe blood is shed over that!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Allergies and sinus will probably be worse here than in Seattle. My alllergies in the north were a summer thing. Here they go all year because there is always something blooming, so if pollen is your problem, keep that in mind.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Interesting. Ive never had allergy problems till I moved to Seattle. I think its the mold here along with the weeds and grass. But Ive read Austin is bad for allergies. My wife grew up in So Cal and had allergies from the trees so we will definitely look into that.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:49 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Allergies and sinus will probably be worse here than in Seattle. My alllergies in the north were a summer thing. Here they go all year because there is always something blooming, so if pollen is your problem, keep that in mind.
I am allergic to just about everything that grows and my allergies are no worse here in Houston than they were in Seattle and Portland. Cedar fever in Austin almost killed me but then I got shots and I was fine after that.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:36 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,680,353 times
Quote:
Interesting. Ive never had allergy problems till I moved to Seattle. I think its the mold here along with the weeds and grass. But Ive read Austin is bad for allergies. My wife grew up in So Cal and had allergies from the trees so we will definitely look into that.
Allergies are worse for me here than they were growing up in San Diego, I am also primarily allergic to trees. March is the cruelest month here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston