Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM
NTT NTT started this thread

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Even off air - don't you need an outside antenna?
Yes, we do but we wouldn't have monthly bill. It is the same as in the time of prior to cable networks. Except that now it's digital signals and we get more channels over the air (OTA).

I got this antenna (below) on sale for $64 at Fry's awhile back. Even with its regular price, it sells quickly.
FRYS.com*|*PCT

Currently, it is sitting on the floor in my living room, hooked up to the HDTV. Yet, it's picking up 61 channels as is! The HD channels are very clear, better than channels from cables and dish networks. It's because OTA channels come in uncompressed.

I'm waiting for my brother to come over and help me to put the antenna up in the attic. Sigh... I'm still waiting .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Wow!!! I am going to check on that!!!!
Thank you

"Also, if you'd like to pull in signals from different areas, consider a rotor to aim your antenna in the right direction."
Are you going to go up and down to adjust the picture??? Maybe living room is a better place for it?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:53 PM

If you're getting that same antenna that I have, you don't need a rotor. I believe it's a multi-directional antenna. I haven't had the need to rotate it so far, and I live almost 35 miles from the Antenna Farm.

What you'd need to remember when installing it is to point the antenna toward the Antenna Farm down in Missouri City (South of Stafford). Here's a map of where it is: Missouri City "Antenna Farm"

Next, what you'd need to know is, if you're installing the antenna on the roof, you'd need to ground it. There's a Ground post on our residential homes. You'd need to find where it is located on your roof and mount the antenna near it for easy ground connection. I'm bypassing all this by trying to place the antenna in the attic. That is if my brother ever get the time to help me with it. My attic does not have any radiant barrier or anything that will block its signals.

If you have an HDTV, most likely the digital tuner is built in. If you have one of those old analog TV, you'd need to have a digital converter box. The antenna cable is hooked up into the box and another cable is hooked up from the box to the old TV.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,297 times
My $10 antenna from Walmart feeds about the same number of OTA channels to my LG TV. I just placed it behind my TV and the ears are just above the height of TV.

Channels are crisp are clear. For example, watch COPA America Soccer on Channel 45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Yes, we do but we wouldn't have monthly bill. It is the same as in the time of prior to cable networks. Except that now it's digital signals and we get more channels over the air (OTA).

I got this antenna (below) on sale for $64 at Fry's awhile back. Even with its regular price, it sells quickly.
FRYS.com*|*PCT

Currently, it is sitting on the floor in my living room, hooked up to the HDTV. Yet, it's picking up 61 channels as is! The HD channels are very clear, better than channels from cables and dish networks. It's because OTA channels come in uncompressed.

I'm waiting for my brother to come over and help me to put the antenna up in the attic. Sigh... I'm still waiting .

Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
My $10 antenna from Walmart feeds about the same number of OTA channels to my LG TV. I just placed it behind my TV and the ears are just above the height of TV.

Channels are crisp are clear. For example, watch COPA America Soccer on Channel 45.
Yes, I have those too but a roof type antenna does it much better and will work for all the TVs in my home. I have 2 rabbit ears and 2 of those amplified digital antennas. All did not compared to the Channel Master 4228HD. It's not the clarity of the picture but how strong the signal is picking up and how many channels it's picking.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:17 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
No need for fancy antennas.
One of my TVs is using a metal hanger and it picks up all the channels just fine.

One thing that helped me when I lived in San Antonio was an amplifier that came with an antenna that bought.
The antenna didn't do much (ended up not using it) but the amplifier allowed me to get more channels.

BTW,
channel 39-3 is Universal Sports and they show a lot of rugby (for the rugby fans)

Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
No need for fancy antennas.
One of my TVs is using a metal hanger and it picks up all the channels just fine.

One thing that helped me when I lived in San Antonio was an amplifier that came with an antenna that bought.
The antenna didn't do much (ended up not using it) but the amplifier allowed me to get more channels.

BTW,
channel 39-3 is Universal Sports and they show a lot of rugby (for the rugby fans)
How many channels are picking up with your metal hanger? Do you need to rotate it when you're changing channels? How far do you live from the Missouri City Antenna Farm?

All these questions need to be taken into consideration in making the decisions when obtaining an antenna. What you have may works great for you but may not to someone else.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:56 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
All these questions need to be taken into consideration in making the decisions when obtaining an antenna. What you have may works great for you but may not to someone else.
You don't have to go to the mall to buy a metal hanger,
the point is that anybody can grab a metal hanger hang it on the wall and see how many channels they can get, saving them a trip to the store and 50-80 dollars.

I did that in San Antonio, and I lived in Cibolo and the antennae farm is in Elmerdorf (25 miles away) and I could get all the channels except for one.
Actually, I wasn't using a hanger, I was using a 14 gauge metal wire that I used to make an antenna

Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 PM

75 posts, read 164,723 times
TV Fool and AntennaWeb both have tools to show which direction to point your antenna to get the most channels. It also lets you know what type of antenna will work best given its location and elevation above ground level. Outdoor antennas will work best, but if you're close enough to the Missouri City antenna farm, they may not be necessary.

And if you're really into geek projects, just search for "coat hanger antenna" on Youtube.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikh.yerbouti View Post
TV Fool and AntennaWeb both have tools to show which direction to point your antenna to get the most channels. It also lets you know what type of antenna will work best given its location and elevation above ground level. Outdoor antennas will work best, but if you're close enough to the Missouri City antenna farm, they may not be necessary.

And if you're really into geek projects, just search for "coat hanger antenna" on Youtube.
In other words, when it comes to antennas, we're pretty much going back to the old time prior to cable era.

At beginning of the year, Antenna TV (39.2) channel was borned. I was hooked to it. Didn't realized that at the same time, another Chicago channel, MeTV (57.5), became available nationally. These 2 channels are available OTA, and they keep this lil' retired lady entertain all day long . They have the old time sitcoms, dramas and classical movies. Remember shows like Quincy ME, Bonanza, Sanford and Sons, I Love Lucy, George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, Gidget, The Flying Nun, Denise the Menace, Father Knows Best, Hawaii 5O, Here Comes the Brides, and Gunsmoke? Those were good family programs and still are IMHO. I'm so glad that these channels are bringing these great shows back!

I know that Antenna TV was available on Comcast and not through sattelite networks at the beginning. I'm not sure about now. I'm wondering if MeTV is available through cables and satellite networks or not. If not, some folks out there are sure missing something here.

If one is a sport freak, paying for cable and satellite networks makes sense. If not, there are so many OTA channels now in Houston that paying extra to watch TV sure does not make much sense. Now, if you have the money, sure, enjoy it. If money is tight, OTA channels deliver good entertainment and will save you at least $500 a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston