Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 08:24 AM

11 posts, read 19,978 times

Advertisements

I am a moving to Houston in a month for law school and to become a Texas lawyer. I recently realized that I am moving into the heart of hurricane country and people keep talking about hurricane kits so I thought I would ask the experts what I would need for a hurricane kit? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,679,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHJDMBALLM View Post
I am a moving to Houston in a month for law school and to become a Texas lawyer. I recently realized that I am moving into the heart of hurricane country and people keep talking about hurricane kits so I thought I would ask the experts what I would need for a hurricane kit? Thanks in advance.
Ready.gov: Get A Kit (http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html - broken link)

Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Add Pepto tablets to that list; living off of canned food can rip you up.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,275,785 times
Invest in a good gps or a smart phone with internet connection to help you navigate Dallas or San Antonio when you flee. Leave a roll of toilet paper in your car, too.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:11 AM

834 posts, read 2,685,697 times
Houston itself is not exactly right on the coast (East Houston may have more issues b/c is near lake water). We spent hurricane Ike and stayed home. Yes, there were issues, but it was mostly fallen trees and fences down. Yes the trees sometimes caused power lines and people not having electricity for 5-10 days. Galveston had a different story.

Besides the things listed on the readiness link posted above. I would add that if a storm is coming, put a few gallons of water in the freezer. These can be used for cold water/ice if the power goes out. Fill your car's gas tank and if you can get a extra gas container and keep extra (long lines at the pump). If you live in a property that has lots of trees/plants..go around the property and inspect for dry/dead branches that can be easily knocked down by high winds.
Check of any lose items that may become projectile against people or homes.
Have a landline cord phone.
Canned/dry food, can opener.
If you have kids keep a bag of their "essentials" toys/snacks etc
Keep important papers in a zip lock bag (home insurance/flood, etc)
Back up your computers and keep backup in a water proof safe (or take with you if you leave town)

Old 06-03-2011, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 19,978 times
Thanks for the quick and informative answers. I'm looking forward to becoming a Texan.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:44 PM

24,014 posts, read 15,110,703 times
Photograph all you own. Keep in a safe place. Or copies two places.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,918,081 times
Cash. No electricity = No ATM, no credit card processing.

A trip to Spec's is in order (Spec's is a big liquor store).

I have several Coleman Lanterns and fuel. Better than candles, better than flashlights.

Stock up on reading materials. Once you get done with all you have to do (cleaning up, helping neighbors clean up), there's not much to do until the power comes back. You get more bored than you think you will. You can't really roam around in the car, either, because the streets are either blocked or needed for police/fire/emergency vehicles. So you're stuck at home in the heat with nothing to do...

A grill is a good accessory to have. That way you can cook all the stuff in the freezer/fridge. Also, if you're a coffee addict like me, you can get one of those old coffee pots that sits on top of the grill (or like a camp coffeepot) so you don't have to go without.

Don't forget toilet paper.

Don't forget (as the guide said) pet food if you have pets.

Oh, and don't put the insurance policies in the bank vault. People always do this. If the bank is closed and the vault sealed (which it will be), how will you have a copy of your policy? Remember, even though the insurance company has a copy of your policy, you want your OWN copy IN HAND. Put it in a baggie sealed in a baggie and keep it with you.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:04 PM

913 posts, read 4,346,535 times
Things that will help you prepare for hurricane season

Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,582,574 times
Power inverter + old TV on the driveway = I'm king of my hill. hmm maybe I need to buy a digital antenna thinger now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston