Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:23 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,059,035 times

Advertisements

it's has been a quiet season...just want to share this link...

Track Tropical Depression Four, Track Tropical Storm Ana, Track Tropical Storm Bill / Stormpulse / Hurricanes, severe weather, tracking, mapping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:29 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,822,318 times
And so it begins...I really should be collecting supplies as I am currently woefully unprepared (again).

Old 08-16-2009, 08:30 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
shhhhhhhhh. Be very very quiet. Maybe they won't find us this year.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM

191 posts, read 772,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
shhhhhhhhh. Be very very quiet. Maybe they won't find us this year.
I agree...very, very quiet!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default AAAHAHhahhdhAHAHAH!

That was a loud scream. I say be loud, no one likes Hurricanes, but the entire Great State of Texas needs the rain, so bring it on! I think water is more precious to life and outweighs the inconveniences of a storm. You can rebuild a damaged home, but you cannot bring back to life a dead tree, or failed crops.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
^^^ This coming from a guy that lives in KATY. You know the area the hurricanes DON'T affect....

Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 AM

191 posts, read 772,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
That was a loud scream. I say be loud, no one likes Hurricanes, but the entire Great State of Texas needs the rain, so bring it on! I think water is more precious to life and outweighs the inconveniences of a storm. You can rebuild a damaged home, but you cannot bring back to life a dead tree, or failed crops.
With all due respect, this is NOT how we want rain. Yes, we need the rain but not through a hurricane!!!!!! Hurricanes are more than just "inconveniences", they DESTROY peoples' lives, kill people, destroy businesses, homes, communities....in the end we all pay for the destruction of a Hurricane, whether we were personally hit or we see it in lost utilities, higher costs of products, higher insurance premiums, etc.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 AM

Default Hurricanes are natural, 'can't be controlled anyway

I gave too much credit to people's logic ability I guess. I'm not advocating the loss of life, or wishing destruction on anyone, that is just silly, I should have been specific.

Hurricanes are natural occurences, and that is part of the life here, and what brings rains to the area, whether anyone agrees or not. I was talking about rain, not destruction.

Doesn't matter if one wishes it, or not. If it will happen, it will happen. We need the rain storms and hurricane's bring.

If I could control it, I'd be a rich man.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Read the history of Katy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
^^^ This coming from a guy that lives in KATY. You know the area the hurricanes DON'T affect....
You might be surprised to learn that Katy was wiped off the map in the hurricane of 1900. Katy can be severly affected, depending on where the storm hits, based on the dirty side of the storm.

Here is an excerpt:

Katy Overcomes Hardship Many families arrived in the late 1800s and had just started to settle in when disaster struck. On September 8, 1900 the skies grew black as the Galveston Hurricane pummeled the gulf coast with 120 mile an hour winds and 15-20 foot wave surges. The ruthless winds traveled all the way to Katy, leaving thousands dead in its path. The hurricane was deemed the worst natural disaster in U.S. history killing an estimated 6000-12,000 people. Although nobody in Katy perished, historians say the 1900 Galveston hurricane was more deadly than any storm in the U.S. before or since. Virtually every structure in Katy was completely destroyed or structurally damaged. At the time, lumber was not abundant or affordable so resourceful Katy settlers used debris to rebuild what they could. “If a building was no longer usable or needed, they stripped the usable building material from it and used it to build new homes, stores, or buildings,” says Lopez. Lopez says the 1900 hurricane is the reason there aren’t that many historical buildings left in Katy.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 08-16-2009 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Inserted excerpt

Old 08-16-2009, 11:58 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
We're definitely learning our ABC's this weekend: Ana, Bill, Claudette...
I have to agree to some extent that a nice tropical storm (that does not hang around) or weak Cat 1 cane could help with drought problem. Stronger canes are not wanted or needed, thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston