Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,332 times

Advertisements

I'm a 30 year old male and and have an opportunity to come and live/work in Houston for 12 months with my company. As I have no idea what Houston is like safety wise, i need some advice from you guys.

My work is between the Galleria and Windsor Plaza Shopping center and where I will be living is about 5 mins walk from here (apparently). Whats the general area like in regards to safety? Can you walk around after 5pm?

Where do people usually go out and socialize? Where are the best bars and clubs, are they confined to one area like an entertainment district.

Excuse my ignorance, just have no idea. Where I'm from is a pretty safe place.

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM

124 posts, read 320,317 times
First off, welcome to Houston!

The area you're moving too is pretty nice and caters to travelers and expats probably morese than any other part of town. In general, Houston is like any other international large city, just keep your wits about you and use common sense when you find yourself in a sitation that seems "sketchy".

Native Houstonians are generally known for being nice and helpful, chances are you will do well here.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM

82 posts, read 255,767 times
You will need a car to drive around most of the city and surrounding areas . It is not a walkable city and public transport is good only in certain areas. Safety wise it has its share of good and bad areas like any other city.

There are a number of websites which provide info on clubs, restaurants etc
check these out.

www.chron.com
www.houstonpress.com

Old 07-18-2011, 02:43 PM

133 posts, read 268,434 times
For a bloke from down under, every thing is within walking range. Just pretend you're out on a walk-about and you'll be fine. Now let me go throw a couple of more shrimp on the barbie and a Fosters on ice. Welcome.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
There is an Australian American Chamber of Commerce and I bet a few Aussie Expat groups in town if you seek fellow Aussie company. Galleria has alot of transplants from all over the world, a hip part of town for sure. Houston is so spread out so no one concentration of entertainment. There is also the Washington area, Mid town, Upper Kirby, City Ctr (Memorial), in addition to the galleria. You do want to own/rent a car eventhough you're only here 12 mths.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
We have Outback steakhouses. You will feel right at home with Blooming onions.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM

270 posts, read 478,161 times
You'll probably find that the typhoon seasons is the exact opposite as Australia.

Large city,diverse,many resturaunts to choose from. Perhaps you'll like our version of Football, and I must say you'll be in the best state for the sport. Make it a point to check out some games.

If anywhere else, I'd say check out a pro game. But in Hoston,make it a point to check out the high school and college kids as well. It's not rugby,but I think you'll enjoy it fully.

Oh...are you taking the SYD-DFW service on Qantas ? God bless ya man. Thats one long a$# flight.

Only SIN-EWR on singapore can rate up there at about 21 hrs flight time

Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times
You could do a walkabout on Post Oak Road, but to go inside the west loop where most of the clubs and restaurants are, you will need a car.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:19 AM

123 posts, read 318,490 times
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

This will answer some questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: