Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM

149 posts, read 290,092 times

Advertisements

Colts W
Dolphins W
Saints L
Steelers L
Raiders W
Ravens L
Titans W
Jaguars W
Browns W
Buccs W
BYE
Jaguars W
Falcons L
Bengals W
Panthers W
Colts L
Titans W

11-5 Win AFC South and loose in first round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 06:57 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Without steroids Cushing is just a average player at best.
It's hard to say and difficult to judge after last season. If he'd had a full camp, played sixteen games, Ryans stayed healthy and he still looked like that I would agree - but I just can't totally commit to that opinion as things were.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Wow, so the Texans signed Johnathan Joseph AND Danieal Manning? They really are serious and finally made some big moves in free agency.

Owner Bobby Mac has graduated.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:58 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,932,502 times
Signings look good on paper...now if Cushing can play like the PED guy he was and Schaub stays healthy weve got a shot.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Wow, so the Texans signed Johnathan Joseph AND Danieal Manning? They really are serious and finally made some big moves in free agency.

Owner Bobby Mac has graduated.
Let's see them do it on the field before we start throwing them a parade.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Let's see them do it on the field before we start throwing them a parade.
I don't think anyone wants to throw the Texans a parade, but these were some great signings and something the Texans have never done before. They are usually the ones used and abused for leverage purposes. It was happening again with Aso, and they said "screw it" and got the second best corner on the market and a top five corner in this league (who is three years younger and millions cheaper than Aso). Then they went out and got Danieal Manning, who is the best safety the Texans have ever had already. He has the speed the team needs to help out the young corners and is real good in coverage. Not to mention he has KR capabilities, so no more Slaton or Jacoby back there. You know you got two great players when you visit their former team's forum (Bengals for Joseph and Bears for Manning) and the fans are upset that they lost them and pissed that their owners didn't keep them.

And the Texans are still in the hunt for Nnamdi, apparently.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:31 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I don't think anyone wants to throw the Texans a parade, but these were some great signings and something the Texans have never done before. They are usually the ones used and abused for leverage purposes. It was happening again with Aso, and they said "screw it" and got the second best corner on the market and a top five corner in this league (who is three years younger and millions cheaper than Aso). Then they went out and got Danieal Manning, who is the best safety the Texans have ever had already. He has the speed the team needs to help out the young corners and is real good in coverage. Not to mention he has KR capabilities, so no more Slaton or Jacoby back there. You know you got two great players when you visit their former team's forum (Bengals for Joseph and Bears for Manning) and the fans are upset that they lost them and pissed that their owners didn't keep them.

And the Texans are still in the hunt for Nnamdi, apparently.
I doubt their still in the running for Nnamdi, he was never going to come here. He was just using the Texans to drive up the price on his contract with the other teams. I agree there good moves, but people are acting like now its a lock for the playoffs. And I'm not so sure that the signings will fix all of our problems. I mean when the Texans did have a good corner in Duanta Robinson, they still didn't go to the playoffs. I'm still concered about their pass rush. Beside Mario(who only shows up half the time) who is do they got?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I doubt their still in the running for Nnamdi, he was never going to come here. He was just using the Texans to drive up the price on his contract with the other teams. I agree there good moves, but people are acting like now its a lock for the playoffs. And I'm not so sure that the signings will fix all of our problems. I mean when the Texans did have a good corner in Duanta Robinson, they still didn't go to the playoffs. I'm still concered about their pass rush. Beside Mario(who only shows up half the time) who is do they got?
I partially agree with your first sentence. Like I said in my post, it was looking like Nnamdi was just using the Texans for leverage purposes with the Jets, but when the Texans signed Joseph and Manning, maybe that made the team more attractive to him (one of his best friends is on the team...best WR in the league hands down). The Texans have $9-12M in cap left to use. It's not a lock for the playoffs until we actually clinch, but it's as close to a lock as you can get. When we had Dunta had his best (2007), the Texans just got a new QB, had no running game (remember Ahman Green), etc. The next year when he came back, he clearly wasn't the same and he started to believe he was bigger than what he really is. Remember when he knocked the mess out of Joseph Addai (but Addai didn't fumble) and Dunta started running around acting like he done something. Then Manning did a quick snap and threw it for a 30-yard completion on Dunta's side of the field. Stuff like that. The closest we got to the playoffs with Dunta was in 2009, when we started having a running game towards the end of the season and our defense was the middle of the pack.

The signings were pretty good though. We got a top five CB and the best safety available this FA (and top safety in the league...he's got some good stats on his side). With the new additions (FA, draft, and new DC that isn't a "yes man"), the Texans D should at least be middle of the pack, and that's all the team really needs with this offense, who can score on absolutely any defense in the league.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:59 AM

12,671 posts, read 23,813,243 times
Texans will finish about 6-10.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:22 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,492 times
I am a native Chicagoan and a die hard Bears fan. I have seen every Bears game during the time that Manning was with the team. Hate to break it to everyone, but the Texans are not picking up a fabulous safety in Manning. He is a very good kick returner, he is athletic, but he is poor to respond in coverage, is not a threat for turnovers (case in point, 1 interception in 16 starts last season - a guy with his speed should be in position to have more INTs) and he is generally a poor tackler.

He was a frequent starter with the Bears only because of a lack of better options. The Bears tried to replace him every season he was there, but did a pretty poor job of selecting personnel. Draft picks and free agents never panned out. They appear to have finally gotten a safety in Major Wright which was why no attempt to re-sign Manning was made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston