Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM

23 posts, read 37,321 times

Advertisements

I'm still getting familiar with how things work here ...and I'm wondering why would some say to stay away from Sugar Land or The Woodlands for specials? I was considering the Sugar Land Area.....now I'm wondering what does this mean exactly.

I found this under "Latest Reputation Received"

"Spring Branch ISD has the best special needs program for public schools in the metro. Location is anywhere from 10-25 minutes to downtown, houses run 300k-20 million. Good luck. PS, don't go to Sugar Land or The Woodlands for Specials"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,179,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenyfl View Post
I'm still getting familiar with how things work here ...and I'm wondering why would some say to stay away from Sugar Land or The Woodlands for specials? I was considering the Sugar Land Area.....now I'm wondering what does this mean exactly.

"Spring Branch ISD has the best special needs program for public schools in the metro. Location is anywhere from 10-25 minutes to downtown, houses run 300k-20 million. Good luck. PS, don't go to Sugar Land or The Woodlands for Specials"
Did you consider the source? Could be a hidden agenda.

Ronnie

Old 08-08-2011, 10:15 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
School districts are so variable for special needs that you really can't tell much from posts saying go here or stay away, imo.

The programs are not really at the district level, but at the school level. Everything depends on what your particular child needs, whether the ARD committee is decent at evaluating what he needs and what kinds of services are offered in the particular school.

For example - my grandson has autism. He is high functioning in some areas, but he was relatively non-verbal when he started PPCD. He was, however, potty trained (that makes a big difference in what classes he can be in). He was completely mainstreamed in a school in Pearland ISD last year and will be mainstreamed for 1st grade with a pullout for academic teaching. He has progressed a lot and is much more verbal now due to his private therapies and the Ipad. If they decided at some point that he could not be mainstreamed, he could not go to the same school as they don't have a life skills class. Thus he would be transferred to another nearby school. We would fight this as we think he could still be mainstreamed with an aide, but we would have a big fight on our hands as the district is financially strapped and would NOT want to pay for an aide.

Some districts might have different services and some schools might be more amenable to your needs. My advice is to visit the specific schools you are interested in, talk to teachers, talk to parents with special needs children who are similar to yours and see what they are doing.

Also, look into the private special needs schools if you can afford them. There are some really good ones in some locations (unfortunately not here where we are - there was one that closed and there is a new one opening here, but it is for older kids than my grandson).

Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,850,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evenyfl View Post

Interesting... maybe someone wanted to just pump up their area of town and put down others anonymously. Wouldn't be the first time. If there's so much truth to the above and they wanted to actually be helpful, they should post within the thread with examples or evidence instead of giving anonymous rep comments.

Work location is a big factor in deciding where to live. Among other things.

P.S. - We've lived around Sugar Land for many years now and love it.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Interesting... maybe someone wanted to just pump up their area of town and put down others anonymously. Wouldn't be the first time. If there's so much truth to the above and they wanted to actually be helpful, they should post within the thread with examples or evidence instead of giving anonymous rep comments.

Work location is a big factor in deciding where to live. Among other things.

P.S. - We've lived around Sugar Land for many years now and love it.
I agree with your assessment that work location is important, but when you have a special needs child, you truly have to look at the school because if you don't you are putting your child at risk for abuse from the school or district or educational neglect.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:16 PM

111 posts, read 392,756 times
Buckeye Partners is a terrific company and the location of their Houston office is in Greenway Plaza. You have a lot of options from there. If you want suburbs then Sugarland is a great place to look and if you want closer in I've heard really good things about Meyerland.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
Buckeye Partners is a terrific company and the location of their Houston office is in Greenway Plaza. You have a lot of options from there. If you want suburbs then Sugarland is a great place to look and if you want closer in I've heard really good things about Meyerland.

Thanks for that added comment on Sugarland, have never heard of Meyerland but it sure is something to consider!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 PM

Just wanted to add a quick update...My family and I along with some friends that are also relocating to Houston, traveled down there during this past Christmas 2011 and we have officially closed on our new Home in Katy, TX. Technically we are in Fulshear, TX but zoned to Katy ISD. Thanks everyone for your help and comments they were very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston