Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 13,841 times

Advertisements

Interested in living in Houston or close to the Woodlands where my employer is located. Looking for suggestions of a suburb or area to live in that is diverse and has affordable housing upper 100k's need at least a 3 bedroom home. Good schools, and environment for young children under 5.

Would like some positive and geniune feedback, as this is a life changing decision for my family.

Also of special interest is the job-market and companies in the area.

Thanks,

Vickie De`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 08:16 PM

14 posts, read 72,557 times
My family is moving to The Woodlands this weekend. We chose the area because of the schools, Welcome to Conroe Independent School District.. We are moving to Harper's Landing which is a nice a newer section of The Woodlands. There are not a lot of homes and they start at $130,000. There are many neighborhoods in The Woodlands.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
Spring is also an option for you, it is closer to Houston. Klein ISD is the school district. Zip codes 77388,77379 or Tomball 77375. Check har.com for neighborhoods in The Woodlands and Spring...Schools are good in The Woodlands, Conroe, Tomball and Klein ISD.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 AM

36 posts, read 214,948 times
Several friends of mine live in the woodlands. They told me not to look in the Harper landing area because it wasn't "The Woodlands."

Doing research on it I am not quite sure why they said this. It is on the other side of I45, has new homes at a good price, and you enjoy the amenities as they would.

I guess it is a snooty (sp?) thing, who knows. Good luck in Harpers landing, beautiful homes.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
It is probably considered Spring and some find living in "The Woodlands" prestigious. House prices are usually more for being able to write that on your return address. My nephew lives in "The Woodlands" but his address and mine are both Spring and I live 20 minutes or so away from The Woodlands while he lives across the street.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 PM

How diverse is the communities in the Woodlands? I like to try to live in well-rounded areas, where all likes of people live, as it is more representative of the world, then to be isolated to one specific ethnicty. Is their ample places to shop, entertainment in the area? Woodlands, of course by the name sounds very isolated.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:46 PM

Another question, I am reading other threads and there was mention of property taxes being fairly expensive, can anyone chime in on that aspect of living in Houston....

Old 08-16-2007, 05:01 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie De` View Post
How diverse is the communities in the Woodlands? I like to try to live in well-rounded areas, where all likes of people live, as it is more representative of the world, then to be isolated to one specific ethnicty. Is their ample places to shop, entertainment in the area? Woodlands, of course by the name sounds very isolated.

Median income in The Woodlands is 103k/yr and its 87.5% white. As for shopping and entertainment its pretty solid as you can imagine for an area with that type of income. The property taxes there are around 3% so like $500 per month on a 200k home.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:28 AM

67 posts, read 224,389 times
Default Good and Bad but nice

What do you consider "diverse?" All the types of high-end SUVs and whether or not they are Lexus or BMW?

It is a nice area. It is a higher-end area, which basically means that the higher your income, the more houses there are for you Buying a house here (we did) was one of those investments we knew we would get a return on-- people LIKE to buy in town.

As for Harper's Landing...I'd stay away. What people said about it not being "in" is mostly correct. It is kind of in an odd place, secluded from the main section of town. My Mom looked at a house there and it backed up to train tracks, something you'd NEVER FIND in "The Woodlands" main area.

As for shopping, there aren't many local places as in other towns I've been in. Some local high end clothing boutiques and then you just have the Linens and Things and JCrew and GAP-type places. Same with restaurants, not too many local ones.

It is a very kid-friendly area, but then again, the $$$ issue can often produce quite some little brats. I vividly remember a 10-year-old coming up to me and screaming 'DO YOU KNOW WHO MY DAD IS?"

And yes, property taxes are somewhat high, but get in the surrounding areas and they are higher.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
GPN

1 posts, read 2,625 times
Thumbs down Relocating to Houston/Woodlands Area

I would not consider The Woodlands, Appraisals from the association is increasing dramatically in order to get more taxes from home owners in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston