Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 AM

174 posts, read 666,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
Pepole on the florida board don't like florida either LOL!
Probably.....they act like the people who move here just blindly throw a dart on a map and when it hits Florida they pack that day and hit the road for Florida. People want to move to Florida to thrive and be happy, some aren't but should not be insulted because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
I personally love Florida, but I think I love the Florida that is disappearing, the old Florida I spent summers and Christmases in...Naples, Ft Myers, in the 70s and 80s...sure do miss those days.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 AM

66 posts, read 449,484 times
Default we did it

We just took that drive from the Tampa area to Houston and no tolls but for the most part very boring . 10 all the way except i think we had gone on 12 for a little bit.. I am dreading the drive again when we move in the next couple of months.. but got to get the cars there and my hubby wont ship them soooooo we are doing it again.. I will say Louisana has the most horrible roads thru the trip... and when you 1st get into Texas its not a pretty site. But once you got past that it was fine. We cant wait to get out of Florida!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysammy View Post
We just took that drive from the Tampa area to Houston and no tolls but for the most part very boring . 10 all the way except i think we had gone on 12 for a little bit.. I am dreading the drive again when we move in the next couple of months.. but got to get the cars there and my hubby wont ship them soooooo we are doing it again.. I will say Louisana has the most horrible roads thru the trip... and when you 1st get into Texas its not a pretty site. But once you got past that it was fine. We cant wait to get out of Florida!!!
How long did the drive take you? I am about 2 hours south of Tampa. Any great suggestions, good places to eat, etc?

My hubby used to work on oil rigs when he was much younger before he got into the IT field and I know he didn't have the best things to say about driving through Louisianna and Alabama. I don't remember where the helipad was though that he had to get to. He did mention he never wanted to drive through those places again, but well now he is going to.....oooops.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:19 AM

88 posts, read 301,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Nice, glad I asked.....can't wait, really can't. The people on the Florida boards keep trashing Houston and Texas.

You all are the nicest, most helpful, genuine people. You all ROCK
All of that is exactly why I came back here and will never leave. I had spent considerable time in Texas (and many other places) before living in Florida. Every now and then I found myself in geographical conversations in each place that I have lived. A pattern almost always emerged over the common misconception that people think Houston and Texas are not anything special and were not desirable. Which led me to revelatory pattern of defending this area that I at one point did not really have any ties to.

These arguments always led to me listing the main pros that really mattered to me when it came to living in a place: the people, business environment, vegetation, and available cuisines. When I laid these points down orally (none of this slow back and forth forum stuff) with circumstantial evidence and pitted them against whatever place I was currently living in or visiting I ALWAYS shut them down. Some Floridians were amongst the worst people I had ever encountered IN THE WORLD. Seriously, no kidding.

That state, fairly recently speaking, was not the way it is now at all. It was the changed people and attitudes that really drove me away (hardly any polite Southern charm left at all in a matter of 15 years!). The fact that most of the people I debated with could not understand this was one of the main reasons I left. Even the ones that had 'supposedly lived in or visited' Houston/Texas had such skewed views on life it was as if they were brainwashed or something. Some I could never stress enough at the amount of experience I had in living and visiting places all over the world. It was as if my experience didn't count at all, but sorry, it did and still does, A LOT.

This city and state are amongst the greatest places to 'live' in the world in my experienced opinion. For me it always boiled down to my short list of pros. Florida is a great place, but it failed my short list like a champ. I felt suffocated there and when I finally landed back in Texas, for the last move ever, the weight was lifted from shoulders (and it felt incredibly good!). You 'mustgetintotexas' as soon as you can, forget all those terrible human encounters, and live the life you and everyone 'should' live... if they can see what is really being offered. Welcome to Houston, sweetheart, "an American city, a place of dreams." Cheers!

Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian/Traveler View Post
All of that is exactly why I came back here and will never leave. I had spent considerable time in Texas (and many other places) before living in Florida. Every now and then I found myself in geographical conversations in each place that I have lived. A pattern almost always emerged over the common misconception that people think Houston and Texas are not anything special and were not desirable. Which led me to revelatory pattern of defending this area that I at one point did not really have any ties to.

These arguments always led to me listing the main pros that really mattered to me when it came to living in a place: the people, business environment, vegetation, and available cuisines. When I laid these points down orally (none of this slow back and forth forum stuff) with circumstantial evidence and pitted them against whatever place I was currently living in or visiting I ALWAYS shut them down. Some Floridians were amongst the worst people I had ever encountered IN THE WORLD. Seriously, no kidding.

That state, fairly recently speaking, was not the way it is now at all. It was the changed people and attitudes that really drove me away (hardly any polite Southern charm left at all in a matter of 15 years!). The fact that most of the people I debated with could not understand this was one of the main reasons I left. Even the ones that had 'supposedly lived in or visited' Houston/Texas had such skewed views on life it was as if they were brainwashed or something. Some I could never stress enough at the amount of experience I had in living and visiting places all over the world. It was as if my experience didn't count at all, but sorry, it did and still does, A LOT.

This city and state are amongst the greatest places to 'live' in the world in my experienced opinion. For me it always boiled down to my short list of pros. Florida is a great place, but it failed my short list like a champ. I felt suffocated there and when I finally landed back in Texas, for the last move ever, the weight was lifted from shoulders (and it felt incredibly good!). You 'mustgetintotexas' as soon as you can, forget all those terrible human encounters, and live the life you and everyone 'should' live... if they can see what is really being offered. Welcome to Houston, sweetheart, "an American city, a place of dreams." Cheers!
My thoughts, so elequently stated. Thank you.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:22 PM

320 posts, read 297,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustgetoutofflorida View Post
Hi all, hope you are doing well regarding Erin and possibly Dean. I empathize experiencing hurricanes in MA and FL.

Ok as for my post those who have driven from Florida, especially Rt. 75 to Houston....are there any toll roads, if you can remember where are they and approximately how much?

I am trying to spreadsheet all my expected moving costs, all help and comments are greatly appreciated.
What is Route 75? When I visit family in Miami I generally stick to I-10 most of the time... that's the most straight-forward, fluid route and quickest, if you ask me.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
75 is an interstate that runs N-S predominantly down the gulf side of FL. You catch it right off of I-10 in Tallahassee.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDBreaux View Post
What is Route 75? When I visit family in Miami I generally stick to I-10 most of the time... that's the most straight-forward, fluid route and quickest, if you ask me.
Route 75 goes from Miami then N then west across the everglades and then hits Naples and goes up north from there.

I have never been on Rt. 10 but I think it goes across Tallahassee then south to Miami. I know I will have to drive Rt. 10 but have to go 75 first (I am on the gulf coast).

Old 08-17-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
75 is an interstate that runs N-S predominantly down the gulf side of FL. You catch it right off of I-10 in Tallahassee.
Yep except for that awesome ride across Alligator Alley from Naples to Ft. Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston