Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 AM

19 posts, read 69,151 times

Advertisements

Something seems just plain wrong with our Electric Usage. If others in Houston could please post the following info I would appreciate it:

August Bill: 6,700Kwh
Bill$: $750
House sqr': 4000sqr'
House Year Built: 1984
2 ACs set at: 80 Deg inside (yes it is too hot inside)
Pool: Yes, pump set to run 4 hours a day. 1.5HP pump

Even with it cooling down a bit, We are seeing the last 10 days on track for the same usage next month! I'm starting to think something else is pulling electricity from our circuit. We just don't have any unusual appliances. We turn lights out. We keep ac's uncomfortably hot, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avarkh View Post
Something seems just plain wrong with our Electric Usage. If others in Houston could please post the following info I would appreciate it:

August Bill: 6,700Kwh
Bill$: $750
House sqr': 4000sqr'
House Year Built: 1984
2 ACs set at: 80 Deg inside (yes it is too hot inside)
Pool: Yes, pump set to run 4 hours a day. 1.5HP pump

Even with it cooling down a bit, We are seeing the last 10 days on track for the same usage next month! I'm starting to think something else is pulling electricity from our circuit. We just don't have any unusual appliances. We turn lights out. We keep ac's uncomfortably hot, etc.
Have you had your AC units serviced recently?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:43 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,213 times
i thought you set your a/c to 78-79 according to another one of your posts...

here's my info.....
august bill: 2422kw
bill: $300
house sq: 2780 (2 story)
yr built: 2010
1 a/c unit : set at 78
pool : no

Old 09-11-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelion_ms3 View Post
i thought you set your a/c to 78-79 according to another one of your posts...

here's my info.....
august bill: 2422kw
bill: $300
house sq: 2780 (2 story)
yr built: 2010
1 a/c unit : set at 78
pool : no

We bumped it up a month ago because of the high bill so we can watch the meter. It's on track in the last 15 days to use the same or close as when set a couple degrees lower.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Have you had your AC units serviced recently?
We did have them serviced when we moved in ~4months ago. I may have them looked at again though as SOMETHING seems really out of whack for usage.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
If you have a Smart Meter, you can check your usage hourly online as early as two days later. Checking it hourly will tell you how much electricity your pool pump is using, as well as giving you a good estimate of how much electricity your a/c is using in the peak hot hours.

I check my electricity usage every day and have learned that doing a load of laundry (washing and drying) uses a lot more electricity than I thought it did. Same for the dishwasher. I noted the times that I used those appliances and then checked the usage for that timeframe two days later. What an eye-opener.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM

142 posts, read 398,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
If you have a Smart Meter, you can check your usage hourly online as early as two days later. Checking it hourly will tell you how much electricity your pool pump is using, as well as giving you a good estimate of how much electricity your a/c is using in the peak hot hours.

I check my electricity usage every day and have learned that doing a load of laundry (washing and drying) uses a lot more electricity than I thought it did. Same for the dishwasher. I noted the times that I used those appliances and then checked the usage for that timeframe two days later. What an eye-opener.
How do I check my Smart Meter online?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
6700????????? Oh my god.

2500sqft (appraisal guy said 2800) house built in 2008
Thermo set to 74 when home

Max so far this year is 1800kWh. I pay 8.x cents per kWh

I will say I was charged 1800 but the graph actually showed 3800.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAg02 View Post
How do I check my Smart Meter online?
Log into your Reliant.com account. (If you dont have an account online, set one up.) When you log in, the first page you go to will show your weekly, by day, usage in a chart form. Click on the chart for any day and the usage will show up by the hour.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

Thanks for this tip. I did not know how much valuable data you can get out their online system. We have Reliant w/ smart meter and just looked online. They have a comparison of your usage vs average neighbor and efficient neighbor. We are using 47% more than average neighbor and well over double efficient neighbors. This does confirm we have some major issue(s) going on here. Especially considering our house is the smallest around. Most neighbors are 5000-6000sqr'. Our spikes are from 9am till dark... at least a place to start trying to sort it out. I may even suffer a day without a/c to see what it does to the spikes that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: