Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 14,527 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are researching possible re-location from UK to Texas and are quite amazed at the house price levels (seems too good to be true?) Have a budget of 200k - 300k. We are looking for somewhere close to water, beach,outdoors but not too far from city centre. Enjoy sun / heat but not keen on snakes / spiders. Is it as bad as i have read?
It looks like 7 clear lake area could be good - does anybody have any comments on good / bad things (schools/crime) about the area. Or suggest other areas we could like at. We have 2 sons 17 & 15 and youngest is looking to go to university.

Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 02:25 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,743 times
Nice area, booming.

Don't be worried about snakes or spiders, but bring some Mosquito repellant.

Have a safe trip. Welcome to Houston.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,748 times
richie_griff, will you be working in the Clear Lake area, or did it just pop out at you due to proximity to the water? In your price range (and depending on the size of the home you are looking for), other parts of the city will work for you as well.

If you want to get as close to Galveston as possible, yet still be within reasonable distance of downtown (not close to downtown, but not terribly far), then neighborhoods in Friendswood (across I-45) might be another option.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:47 AM

5 posts, read 18,860 times
Bay Area/Clear Lake Area of Houston Metroplex is definitely ok. Much better than other large cities like New York, Washington, L.A., or even Dallas....

Just get here. If you have real money....more than $100K/yr., then you may consider and research the "better" areas. Otherwise, you will do very well just about anywhere, especially within the lower, southern suburbs, such as Pearland, Friendswood, Manvel, Webster, and League City.

Not that the "lower" areas are cheaper, or worse, but it all depends on what activities you want for your kids, if that be the case.

Regarding families and fun, the southern
Bay Area/Clear Lake Area of the Houston metroplex is by far the place to consider regarding when moving here.

I graduated from Clear Creek High School, and it was great. Went to Texas A&M University, and went on to get my Master's in Psychology.

The Clear Creek Schook District is very large, very good, and very complete.

I want to go drinking in a Chicago club, and hit on some chicks, but I don't want to move there....sorry, chicks.

Married a good Oklahoma girl, so all's well. Top-o-the-line-kids. Nothin' but the life, now.....and the the Clear Lake area is where it's at. No doubt about it.

I heard that the growth projections for the Bay Area are monumental for the next several years. If that's a problem for you, then don't come. Better traffic for all of us. Really, no offense, but some hate Houston. Better they don't come at all.

Here's the kicker....watch Terms of Endearment and imagine living "there". That's Houston. You can't get that kind of "luxury" everywhere, especially at a minimum.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 18,565 times
The Clear Lake area has been progressivly becoming more and more popular. I recently assisted my daughter and her husband in the purchase of a new home in the League City area which is next to Clear Lake. He works in Clear Lake and they both just love it there.We have boats and the fishing is great in the Galveston Bay/Offshore locations. There are several new housing developments to consider also(Tuscan Lakes).Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 08-23-2007 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Soliciting

Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Great fishing? I live in northern Clear Lake and I won't get too close to that water. Last time I heard, the mercury levels in Clear Lake were reaching dangerous levels.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,993,079 times
The Clear Lake area has been given a new moniker, "Bay Area Houston" by the Bay Area Economic Partnership because the area has grown so large and the name Bay Area Houston encompasses much more than just Clear Lake - includes League City, Pearland, Pasadena, LaPorte, Deer Park, Friendsweood, Nassau Bay, Kemah, Seabrook and everything to Galveston. Clear Lake is a wonderful area to live in - offers a waterfront lifestyle at your backdoor for very reasonable prices when compared to that same lifestyle in other cities/states. Clear Lake, Seabrook, Kemah, Nassau Bay & League City all offer the closest to the water living you can get in the area. Some parts of the Clear Lake community are actually in the city limits of Pasadena but seem largely disconnected. Welcome to Texas - hope you find everything you are looking for.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:46 PM

Oh, one more thing CCISD (Clear Creek Independent School District) is highly ranked. The two top public universities in the state are Texas A&M in College Station and University of Texas in Austin and there are other great ones as well. Some people opt to be very economical in their education and send their children to the local community college (2 years) in Bay Area Houston (San Jacinto Community College) and then to University of Houston - Clear Lake to finish their final two years - all while getting to live inexpensively at home with family and be only minutes from the university. Your options are limitless!!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
The Clear Lake area has been given a new moniker, "Bay Area Houston"

Yeah and many of us here have jokingly called it 'the poor man's ''bay area.'' I guess that would be compared to the real bay area of San Francisco!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yeah and many of us here have jokingly called it 'the poor man's ''bay area.'' I guess that would be compared to the real bay area of San Francisco!
Are you that unhappy of a person? I've noticed that in almost every post where people highlight the positive - you seem to only find something negative to say. It has no relationship to San Fransico nor is it trying to compare itself to San Francisco -- geez get a life. The title Bay Area Houston refers to ALL the cities on the Galveston Bay side of Houston, because although they are all suburbs of the Greater Houston Metroplex - they are on the Galveston Bay side of the city and have closes ties to one another as small cities in addition to be a suburb of Houston and makes good economic and commercial sense to group them together by name in the area they are in. Like it or not, it is a bay and then cities involved are on the bay side of Houston. Its the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston