Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 03:57 PM

169 posts, read 679,143 times

Advertisements

Houston is one of the rudest cities around. I've been to plenty of other places in Texas that proved to have many courteous citizens but Houston isn't one of them. Maybe there are acceptions to the rule, but honestly there are alot of mean and nasty people in this area. Of course, this is my personal opinion but please don't be fooled into thinking Houston has ANY type of small town mentality. It is a big bad city and lives up to the rap that any city of its size would. Crime is horrible, as with any city. If you're looking for someplace like in the descriptions you provided, I'd actually look to a smaller town and not the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 08:30 AM

95 posts, read 434,640 times
I do agree with TXgrl about the inner city. When I "Brag" about "Houston" I guess my experiences are mostly North- Spring and The Woodlands. I rarely visit the "city". It is scares me down there- not moreso than other big cities-but nonetheless.

Old 09-10-2006, 09:03 AM

1,064 posts, read 2,254,298 times
I like the Houston metropolitan area, but not necessarily the inner city. I live in Miami Dade county and this is the way I see it. The actual city of Miami, meaning about 5 miles within downtown is more desirable than the city of Houston within 5 miles of downtown. Not that I would want to live in either cities proximity to downtown, but if given a choice based on what I've seen I'd pick Miami. Especially if you include the area East of I-45 in HOuston.

The suburbs are a different story though. I feel the Houston suburbs are much nicer and the people much friendlier than the suburbs in the Miami area.
In fact, if I ever decide to move to the Houston area I would strongly consider the areas of Katy, the Woodlands, and even the Lake Conroe area specifically the walden community; it all depends what I am looking for at the time and how much I am willing to commute to work and accessibility to shops and restaurants. I also like the area just south of 290 on HWY 6 a community named Copperfield. But the traffic there is a little more congested than I like. But in general the nicer communities in the Houston suburbs in my opinion are better and the people are more friendlier and civilized than the suburbs in the Miami area.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:18 AM

169 posts, read 679,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
The suburbs are a different story though. I feel the Houston suburbs are much nicer and the people much friendlier

Yes, I guess I could have mentioned that. Friendswood (no pun intended with the name) is actually a nice area too. However, I still don't think that even the suburbs give the same vibe as a small town.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM
TGM

100 posts, read 593,084 times
I've lived in Texas all my life, except for a few years in Maryland. I hear all the complainants about the heat here, but it just doesn't seem to bother me - and my job is about 50% outdoors, although I don't do any "labor".

The big difference in your "dry" heat and our "humid" heat is the fact that you will sweat alot more here. During the height of summer, I will have sweat on my forehead at 6am when I go from my house to my car. The humidity seems to zap your energy faster, although the heat may be the same.

I also notice that in most other areas there is a larger temp swing between day & night. If you have a high of 95, the low during the night is only going to be 85-90. I see other areas that can get to 105 during the day, but drop down to 75 at night. I won't pretend to know why that is...

Old 09-11-2006, 05:28 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,092,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocgirl View Post
We just got back to Orange County, California, fer sure, totally, and loved what we saw in Houston. We are really concerned about moving there though because we have heard the summer heat and humidity are unbearable! I grew-up in the south, Tennessee and South Carolina, so I know of humidity, but I have lived in So. Cali for 40 yrs. now. I know my first summer of living in the San Fernando Valley after moving from Columbia, S.C. I thought my parents had moved us to freakin' hell it was so hot. I don't ever remember it being 108 in Tennessee, S.C. or Miami when we visited my grandparents there. They kept saying "yeah, but it's a dry heat."
Dry heat, wet heat, I'd NEVER felt heat like some parts of California anywhere in the south, but we keep reading on all these sites where people write, "heat and humidity almost unbearable in Houston." Have these folks been to Vegas or Phoenix when it's 115 like I have. Do they know from "dry heat"....could it be worse? If any of y'all have lived in So. Calif. and moved to the Houston area please respond and give us an honest evaluation. I know what southerners are like, I am one and have been telling my kids for years and they got to see for themselves when we went to Texas. California men are RUDE and RARELY open doors for women. They will even rush up and cut you off to try to get in first. Also, anything you see on TV about Orange County such as "Laguna Beach" on MTV or "The Real Housewives Of Orange County" are extremely accurate when they show how shallow and self involved the people here are. We moved here from Ventura County (1 cty. n of L.A.) to Orange Cty (1 cty s of L.A.) and the people are much more self-centered and involved with their looks and possessions. All of So Cal is that way, but the OC is WORSE! Then Beverly Hills is just off the charts as far as that goes. I am an interior designer and have to work with these spoiled brats and I am just OVER IT! My poor kids can't even afford to look at buying a house here. A 1000 sq. ft. 2 bdrm. condo can't be touched for under $450,000.00. Home owner association dues for a condo that size are approx. $200. a mo. Property taxes are good here, about 1.4% so that helps some. I heard Texas property taxes are so high that it's ridiculous and that why houses are so inexpensive, it that true. Just curious to hear from Houston people, maybe from Cali or not. Thanks! And as they say in Cali with a fake smile on their face "Like, have a nice day."

If you live in Orange Country, you are used to the heat. Houston may be a little hotter though! Its terriably hot here in s. Florida that I prefer to stay indoors in the middle of the day and use lots of air condition! If you prefer cooler weather, perhaps north Texas? Or maybe a different state alltogether?
Sorry to hear you dont like Orange Country. Whats the pros though? I totally understand the unaffordable house/condo issue! Its bad enough here that even a dual income middle class family would be hard pressed to find something affordable! Dont the much higher salaries and lower property taxes and NO hurricane insurance help quite a bit in Cali?

I still dont know all the reasons why Houston is 1/3 the cost of south Florida and a tiny fraction of south California! Maybe excess heat is one reason but we get alot of that here too! Ive heard lots of complaints about traffic, but then most metro cities are like that! Property tax is high but wont be much on a cheap house anyway.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:12 AM

I'd still challenge anyone who says they are use to the heat somewhere else to spend a summer here and then make a decision on if they think it is comparable. I just don't think it is...........but I admit I have not been EVERYWHERE. But I have been to S. Florida and S. Cali and inbetween.

Property tax is high- and varies depending on where you live. I live North of Houston in Spring/Conroe/Woodlands area and I pay almost $600 mo to the escrow acct for taxes- on a $130K house. That doesn't cover my HOA fees.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:25 AM

This is the way I see it. If you have someone that is researching a move to either the Houston area or South Florida and they are looking for a fairly new home in a nice suburban community it may look something like this

-Houston area- Home-$150,000-property taxes- about $5,500
-A similiar home in South Florida-$400,000-property taxes-about $6,000-$6800.

The property taxes in a South Florida home may be a bit higher to that of a similiar home in the Houston area. The main reason is because the price is much higher.

*Note- The property tax rate in the Houston area is much higher than that of
South Florida. It ranges from 3.0-3.75% depending on where it is at
to 1.7-2.0% in South Florida. Florida also has favorable property tax
laws if you reside in your own home compared to Houston. But right
now taking all costs involved -price of home/property taxes, you get
much more for your money today in the Houston area compared to
South Florida.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 AM

randtbrown,

It is hot in Houston. I feel though that many people exagerate a little. It is not much different than South Florida. It is a little warmer in Houston, but less humid than South Florida.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:47 AM

Observer- I've been to South Florida many times and have family that live there and they would disagree with you. But everyone has a different internal thermestat I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston