Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 AM

17 posts, read 32,118 times

Advertisements

we are currently renting a 3 bed-room apartment...because we might or will get relocated by the company in the near future...but i tried to convince my husband to rent a house (since its only for a mere $12 more monthly), he didn't want to, saying that we have to buy our own appliances etc..which is utterly rubbish because i found houses for rent come fully equppied with appliances..

I just want more space for our child and a yard for him to play in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Some people are cut out to be homeowner and others are not. There is a lot of maintenance to be kept up with in a home. External appearance of home, lawn, etc. With an apt. you are on responsible for the inside - some people like that.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 AM

981 posts, read 1,621,220 times
And the fact that owning a home ties you down to that place.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:50 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,905 times
Food for thought.
why-your-home-is-not-the-investment-you-think-it-is: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 10-08-2011, 11:10 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
The OP put "buying property" in the subject line of the post but then asked about RENTING a home. Two different things.

If you think you will be relocated, definitely don't buy anything.

But yes, I do think renting a home is usually a better deal. The prices for apartments are really high for good ones and it is nicer to live in a house with a yard if you have an active child.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 AM

17 posts, read 32,118 times
well...either way, i am still curious as to why people choose to rent

Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGeorge View Post
well...either way, i am still curious as to why people choose to rent
well, houses are terrible at short term payback (<5 years the fix fees of selling and buying a house are usually greater than the equity you put into one)

In a market as uncertain as this, nobody wants to own a property continually losing value, upkeep can be expensive (though it doesn't have to be)

Sometimes people can't afford to buy where they want to live, so they rent instead (condos vs. apartments are a whole other discussion).

Old 10-08-2011, 11:31 AM

23 posts, read 35,907 times
One thing about buying houses is where you buy is key. A property can be beautiful but comes with a price. I bought property with 3 acres in NC a steal with 1700 sqft. Nice property with a creek, what I didnt realize that the whole street was owned by the same family(rednecks) who lived like they owned even my house. I would find things stolen, weedwackers, my drive mower gas cans books everything under the sun.....In the end I lost the house after paying 5 years and watching the principly go down 5000 and the equity non existant....The propert when i left was appraised at between 40,000 to 50000 which is rediculous. I paid 107,000 I lost my credit rating and almost my mind trying to fix everything that went out, ac well pump you name it....The previous owner was always around when he wasnt in jail trying to jerry rig stuff to make it work...It was a lesson noone want s to go through...so in short when considering buying make sure you check out the area especially at night....

Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
The OP put "buying property" in the subject line of the post but then asked about RENTING a home. Two different things.

If you think you will be relocated, definitely don't buy anything.

But yes, I do think renting a home is usually a better deal. The prices for apartments are really high for good ones and it is nicer to live in a house with a yard if you have an active child.
We rented single-family houses when we first moved to the Houston area. Apartments of similar quality were pricey but much smaller sq footage and no yard.

As far as choosing to rent, we did for a few reasons but mostly because we wanted to get to know the area before buying. So glad we did because we went from being north of Houston (The Woodlands) to SW of Houston (Missouri City). We're now in our house for the long haul but I would think it's completely understandable for families to choose to rent over buying if they're going to just be reassigned in a few years. And as already mentioned, not everyone can buy where they want to live so they opt to rent. Along with that, when we were looking at apartment options on the Sugar Land/Missouri City border, we were told that a lot of families were renting in apartments to get their kids zoned into specific schools.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:54 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
A lot of people have bad credit so owing a home is out & overall it cost lot more to own a home than renting a apt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston