Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Just got a call back and they offer only $3500 more with an extra vacation week. So I will gladly accept the offer!
Congrats, sounds good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,764 times
I only got a $7500 raise from my contract job, but now I will have the extra benefits and vacation time.

So I think is a good deal for me and didn't want to push the envelope

Old 11-10-2011, 10:39 AM

208 posts, read 270,117 times
You must be paid well in the new job. Employee to contractor is normally at least 1.5 to 2x the money

Old 11-10-2011, 10:41 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
Just got a call back and they offer only $3500 more with an extra vacation week. So I will gladly accept the offer!
Congrats, now you can take everybody here out for happy hour.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
emirate25,

Good for you. There are serveral opportunities in Texas for professionals. I am in the middle of a job search myself in Technology. The daily phone calls from recruiters is so overwhelming. I only applied for 5-6 positions. Most of the calls were initiated by HR or recruiters from a posted resume.

My first offer was for a $15k paycut! Many told me to take it and that nobody was hiring. I now have 2 pending offers for a $10k increase. That's a $25k/yr spread between first company and the other companies. These jobs are direct hire positions.

I have 2 friends that were laid off from energy, last year. Both of them got $20k increase doing the same job at a different company. Go figure. It's harder to find a McDonald's job than it is a professional job.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:17 PM

635 posts, read 1,704,764 times
Thanks everybody for your best wishes!

Old 11-10-2011, 01:54 PM

302 posts, read 955,287 times
Not sure I understand the comment "Employee to contractor is normally at least 1.5 to 2x the money "

I'm a contract worker and know for a fact that the staffing agency I get paid through has a premium of 35% over what they pay me. Once I get an offer, I would expect it to be more than what I make now, but much less than what they them...

In a previous position I had I was offered an 8% increase when going from contract to full time and I gladly took it... The benefits were too good to pass... 4 weeks vacation and awesome health insurance...

All of the numbers you guys are throwing are nice, but they don't mean much because we don't have a base to compare them too... if you give %s, that my help getting a better idea at negotiating your next raise...

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM

In my experience and field, subtract all that goes to headhunters, middlemen and other leeches (upto 40% of billing rate), a 100k employee should be making atleast 200k without benefits (but with OT) or a 150k employee atleast making 300k, and so on. A 'pass-thru with benefits company' with medical, dental, vision, all sorts of insurances, billing, w2/tax prep, some vacation, can be used for ~20k up/year

Old 11-10-2011, 03:58 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Booker, are those numbers for short term assignments only?

I know folks make 1.5X-2X, but they are working short term assignments(< 1 yr). Last month, A recruiter offered 2X as a W-2 contract with health insurance, but it was only for 6 months. I passed on it, because there were direct hire job offers with great benefits.

I didn't know it was possible to get 1.5X-2X in an assignment that would last longer than a year. Which industry is that, anyway? I might have to change industries. *smile*

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Booker, are those numbers for short term assignments only?

I know folks make 1.5X-2X, but they are working short term assignments(< 1 yr). Last month, A recruiter offered 2X as a W-2 contract with health insurance, but it was only for 6 months. I passed on it, because there were direct hire job offers with great benefits.

I didn't know it was possible to get 1.5X-2X in an assignment that would last longer than a year. Which industry is that, anyway? I might have to change industries. *smile*
Well, think of it this way. Senior employees (associates/lower rank officers) have some protection, benefits, grievances, well being, lives, carreers, family, holidays and if you sue them you're suing yourself. They're expensive, expensive to train, expensive to fire, expensive to retire, possibly inefficient, a little laid back. Contractors are all business (ideally), and you can sue them (1-2mm insurance is required). There accountability. Contractors can be let go hassle free and rehired from vetted sources easily when the need arises. As a contractor, you are taking a risk but as you know money is made by takings risks, I guess that's in general.
I'm in IT supporting the business like most. Government regulations keeps the IT industry going. As for the 'short term assignment' in this field, well its really a way for the employer to let go of the weaker contractors. Obviously, it keeps the contractor on his toes. IT programs lasts for years and just keep adding new roles so getting extended is frequent. Some have maximum #years for contractors but they easily just give you a 1 month vacation to reset that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: