Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:48 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,601 times

Advertisements

Posted this in the Austin Forum and wondered about my Native and not so native Houstonians....

Is it upwards.....or outwards. Mostly, by those who have built upwards, they think it is outwards.

But, I think it is both ways. There's a LOT of "sprawl" in NYC...upwards. Very unattractive to me. I think NYC is a very ugly city, but Chicago is quite nice. Doesn't Chicago have sprawl both upwards AND outwards.....hmmm?

I think Houston and Dallas get a bad "rap" for outward "sprawl" when compared to other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:47 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Although I don't think every solution to limited space and transportation is a bigger or newer freeway, its nice to have the choice to live out and commute or live in and be able to afford it.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,888 times
dude put on NatGeo or animalPlanet. that'll blow your mind for a while

Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
dude put on NatGeo or animalPlanet. that'll blow your mind for a while
Ok Tim,

I think I said you needed your own comedy show......not so much now!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:56 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,581,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Ok Tim,

I think I said you needed your own comedy show......not so much now!
you don't have cable huh

Old 11-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
you don't have cable huh
I do too! Clue me in....I think you are the Bomb....tim.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,985 times
Outward sprawl makes things more difficult to get to and promotes big box stores, chains, and a void of interesting things to do. However, upward sprawl creates population denstiy which leads to a concentration of people, places, and small businesses which are able to survive.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,005,041 times
Anything "outside the loop" is sprawl.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 AM

385 posts, read 968,249 times
I hate outward sprawl and all that participate in it.
It should be outlawed, and the developers that aide it, tried and imprisoned.

but then again I have some worthless acreage 3 hours northeast of Houston that I will sell for millions in 20 years for some morons that don't want their kids to go to school with minorities and is willing to drive 4 hours to work so that they can have a house that looks exactly like every other house in his hood and they can eat Chillis or TGIF for dinner.BARF

Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
I hate outward sprawl and all that participate in it.
It should be outlawed, and the developers that aide it, tried and imprisoned.

but then again I have some worthless acreage 3 hours northeast of Houston that I will sell for millions in 20 years for some morons that don't want their kids to go to school with minorities and is willing to drive 4 hours to work so that they can have a house that looks exactly like every other house in his hood and they can eat Chillis or TGIF for dinner.BARF
Aren't you a charming fellow.

We should all be locked in towers of doom a square mile around the city center then should we?

Why do people seem to forget that before NYC built upward, it sprawled outward at an equal pace. At some point, commutes overwhelm people's desire to move outward and you start seeing types of densifying. Even in Houston, king of city sprawl, the townhouse developments you see going up are evidence that even Houstonians are tiring of moving farther and farther out from the city center and alot of people moving to the far extents are not the ones commuting to the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston