Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,886 times

Advertisements

I would agree with what everyone said about being in the suburbs and commuting into downtown. It won't be fun and if you hated it just that one time.... well... just consider you have to do it day after day after day....

But, the park and ride option is nice if you have your heart set on a suburb. I know Kingwood has it and so does the Woodlands. Clear Lake also has a park and ride.

If you would be willing to look to the inner loop, I would second CityLove's recommendations. We have bought in Eastwood and have our three kids in the Eastwood schools. So far so good! I have a child in Lantrip Elementary, Jackson Middle School, and Eastwood Academy. My husband has been to a couple social events held in the neighborhood and had nothing but wonderful things to say about the people there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,310 times
"Transitional" is older, more run-down looking neighborhoods that is tansitioning into a more gentrified area. Usually associated with greater chance of home appreciation but maybe also more crime. There's a usually a mix of older houses with newer multi million $ constructions.
Do you want new and uniform looking neighborhood like those masterplanned neighborhoods? If so, you might want to look in the NE side like Summerwood or a townhouse inside the beltway. If you don't mind older houses, look in zip code 77055 too in addition to the ones others have suggested.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM

209 posts, read 524,466 times
North East Houston (Kingwood, Humble, Summerwood, Fall Creek). All relatively short commutes. Hwy 59 is the best commute in the city.

Fall Creek is 15 mins from downtown with no traffic about 25- with.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
I worked there, from Spring to there at 6am i was there in 20 min
left work at 3:30 and was home by 4

really depends on your hours, but 59 north is usually the best, you also have hardy as an alternative.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:31 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Transitional is going from a bad neighborhood to an urban, trendy neighborhood but still has a way to go and is a work in progress so still a mixed of good and bad. Do you need to be in a surburb or would being near town work for you - such as the Heights? Kingwood on 59 north is a pretty sweet commute though - they widened that freeway and its one of the better rides now.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 AM

302 posts, read 955,358 times
Move to Katy and take the bus! Works like a charm!!! 250K will buy you a nice home there, but not inside BW 8 or 610...

I take the bus every morning, takes me about 35-40 minutes depending on traffic... I can relax, read the news on my ipad, sleep, listen to music... it's very nice!!!

I work a couple of blocks from your building... You would have to walk about 1-2 blocks to the stop...

Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Except if you consider Kingwood - taking a bus would be a choice and not a necessity like it would be to live in Katy because traffic in your own car would be unbearable whereas your own car from Kingwood is a good commute.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 PM

6 posts, read 10,948 times
Thanks to everyone for the help. We are looking at Fall Creek and really like it so far. The commute was great Tuesday. I know it is only one day but I had to fly back to Ohio.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
Summerwood is also a nice neighborhood.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM

954 posts, read 1,550,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Every suburb is about a 45 minute to an hour commute to downtown. My advice is to find a neighborhood close to a Park and Ride and utilize that. While it doesn't cut down on the commute time, it cuts down on the stress tremendously.
The P&R is the way to go. Back in the '90s I was working contract for Pennzoil (before Shell bought them), and I took the Park & Ride from Clear Lake downtown to their offices, which is farther out than Pearland. On the other hand my wife worked for SW Bell and had to commute to the Gallery area where there was no P&R, and that commute was a killer. Unless you just like to punish yourself by driving in traffic, buy a house outside the Beltway and take the P&R and read, sleep, whatever on your way to work downtown/home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston