Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:44 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
Houston wasn't originally built around the automobile.
This is the rail system in 1927 before the freeways.
Sadly,
it seems to me like all around the World governments were convinced to ditch train and light-rail plans to force people to buy cars.

When you look around the World, the most livable cities have a great lightrail/subway system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
There is no such thing as a Houston mindset. We all have our own separate opinions and views on things.

As far as downtown; downtown doesn't offer nearly enough to bring in a large amount of visitors. It doesn't offer much uniqueness to where people would feel the need to visit. People aren't out walking because the city isn't built for walking. Have you seen the sidewalks and notice how people drive here??? I walk a lot, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
There is no such thing as a Houston mindset. We all have our own separate opinions and views on things.

As far as downtown; downtown doesn't offer nearly enough to bring in a large amount of visitors. It doesn't offer much uniqueness to where people would feel the need to visit. People aren't out walking because the city isn't built for walking. Have you seen the sidewalks and notice how people drive here??? I walk a lot, but I wouldn't recommend it.
There is a such thing as a culture mindset.. where ever you go....And its not the most walkable city it ranked in the 40,s of the top 100.. but I walk around downtown all the time, people really hyerpbole most things

Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
I actually find Downtown Houston to be walkable. Houston as a whole though? Ha.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 PM

571 posts, read 1,282,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceb View Post
I'm a native Texan but not a native Houstonian, but after a year and a half of living here I'm ready to move to a city like New York with better public transportation and more publicized events. I like Hermann Park and Discovery Green, but living out in the 'burbs (League City), it's such a pain to have to drive in town, find parking, blah blah blah. It's a shame that rail system above doesn't still exist, I'd rather use that than fight the insane traffic any day.

Texans in general have a very different mindset I think, as compared to people who are more used to walking or using public transportation. Last week I was in New York for business, and had to walk just under a mile from the train station to my destination. When I said that in front of my colleagues, their basic response was "Good God a mile?!" It's less than 20 minutes. You could never tell someone in Texas to walk a mile anywhere.
I completely agree with this.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:58 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
I agree on promotions! I always hear people say Oh I went to ___ last week or yesterday and I'm like WTF? I didn't hear about it. The only things I ever hear about are some exhibit. That's nice and all but I don't want to keep going to see Body Worlds and King Tut and going to just museums. They promote the hell out of those but just routine/usual stuff you never hear about. On the radio, commercials. Is there anything else they can tell me on the radio other than some exhibit?

Jeez. Stop the Kmart commercials and maybe do some commercials on what's going on, some big event or any event that could be worthy. Do we even still have Kmart here?

I read someone on here say the learn about stuff from the Houston Press. I honestly had never even heard of the Houston Press. Not the events one. That was a stupid name choice. I knew of the one the Chronicle smashed but not this current one.

I wish there was more of a connection between the suburbs and the city. I hate comments like well just live in the city or near it so you can get to stuff. People live where they want. People live all over other states smaller suburbs and still have a connection to the city when something is going on. I agree when you want to do something and then do there's the issue of parking and unless you come crack of dawn early you'll be walking or dropping the backseat and passengers at the door and I'll see you in about 20 minutes. The transportation is REALLY holding Houston back something fierce.

I think Houston could be a tourist city if/had they just predicted and made it better. People fly in at IAH, stay near the airport then have a rail or something other than Metro or renting a car and being in gridlock to get to things about the city.

But Houston was built for business. LA and NY had business in mind but they also, worked in entertainment WAY back when so both are on an even playing field. It'll be YEARS before Houston gets better. If they tried to work in a transportation system when will this be completed? Like completed completed all over the city and it's suburbs? 2040-2050? It needs a good 20 years and probably longer with people fighting for it and against it.

Transportation could really change Houston for the better.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
I watch KHOU every morning and they show commercials and announce about the main events in Houston and every city in the metro that are doing things as well. Especially on Friday mornings for the weekends. Now they don't promote everything but they do promote main and big events like the Rodeo and me being AA 97.9 promotes a lot of events as well (for my taste).

Houston should have fixed its downtown a long time ago to support its college student base (which is sometimes looked over). There are 6 or 7 universities that are surrounded by it. When I also think about it the nearest real malls on the SE side are Almeda and Baybrook which are like 30 mins away from DT. This mall in DT would be beneficial. If they build it with the university rail line students will come, which makes up a pretty good portion of people living in the inner loop.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
I've noticed that alot of you have ideas and/or complain about what the city is not. Why won't some of you voice your opinions to certain officials to get a step closer to change Houston for the better? It's just a suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston