Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 03:03 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,501,700 times

Advertisements

The OP says that he can't park one of his cars in his driveway because it leaks oil DUE TO IT'S AGE?? No, it leaks oil because you won't fix it!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 AM

8 posts, read 87,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
The OP says that he can't park one of his cars in his driveway because it leaks oil DUE TO IT'S AGE?? No, it leaks oil because you won't fix it!
You think I did not think of that already? First of all, we found out the oil leak will be a major fix to permanently fix the problem, not temporary. The car isn't worth that much anymore and to fix it is a sunk cost no matter what. And of course, buying a new car is an easy solution to all right?

Old 12-13-2011, 03:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
If you have room, in your driveway, garage or in front of your house I feel it's inconsiderate to park in front of somebodyelse's home.

Legally it's not wrong, but it is inconsiderate. Don't inconvenience someone else because you have so many cars.

The fact that they are elderly and/or Chinese has nothing to do with anything. You pointing that out sends up a flag.

That's my opinion.

Mine too. It's worth a small inconvenience to keep peace with the neighbors.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,967 times
I am having a hard time getting my head around the OP's statement that he is too tired to park in the garage and will probably hit something yet he has managed to drive home from wherever! What happens to him the last few yards of his journey, he falls apart at the driveway? This has got to be the lamest excuse I have ever heard.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
People here seem to think they own the space on the street in front of their house. It doesn't matter the reason he parked it there....it's his freaking RIGHT.

You don't like it, sounds personal.

If it bothers you that much... get a neighborhood petition and have the rules changed with the association or local government.

When you purchased your home, it didn't say you owned the street.
i don't think anyone in this thread has said the spot on the street in front of their house is "theirs". but it is COMMON COURTESY to leave the spot in front of someone's house for that person. that's what garages and driveways are for..... i can see where you don't think it's a big deal since you're a "NYer". i was born in NY and one of my brothers still lives there and the layout of houses are different.....here's a scenario for you...

my brother in NY has to wake up earlier in the day to move his car that he parked a block or two away, so it doesn't get towed...all because someone else parked in front of his house.....now tell me how that's courteous to him. and i'm sure the person that parked in front of his house doesn't live there so he's prolly having to do the same thing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyguy010 View Post
From reading the overall arguments, this debate boils down to what is defined as "acceptable" and what is "not acceptable" to park in front of someone's house. We have our clear differences there, however, I will say this whether or not you agree with it, I respect other people's "personal" space as well. Keeping in mind the streets ARE public, I will never park in front of your house unless I have a legitimate reason to. It is not acceptable to park in front of people's houses for more than 24 hours, nor is it acceptable to park their frequently (and the frequency is defined differently by everyone). What is acceptable is if it avoids potential risks (such as damage or harm) and special occasions.

Most everyone on this forum is casting boulder-size stones on me towards for my reasoning -- going as far as my reasoning is selfish, greedy, and "low class" decision. So apparently it is not a legitimate reason to NOT park in the garage knowing I had a history of hitting the car's rear mirrors on the corner of the garage from being overtired.

One guy's response to that was he worked 18 hour shifts and he can still park in the garage fine...so because of that I should be able too?

Someone else said I should park on the driveway then -- I actually ran into those situations a couple times, and each and every time I had to back out my car onto the street so she or he can move the car out of the garage. Just to give you an idea of the distance between the 2 cars if they were both on the driveway, the cars would be less than a foot apart. Also since the drivers in the family don't have the best distal awareness, it isn't the best idea to put them in those situations aka costly repairs for easily avoidable problems....I mean this argument can go on and on...you will have a counter argument, and I will have my rebuttal. I guarantee you it will be a never ending argument.

But I find it weird to have to defend my position in the first place (and I honestly think my reasons are at the very least legit). Not to disrespect people's spaces nor taking public property for granted, but this is PUBLIC property we are talking about! Keep in mind, I came from a neighborhood where everyone was "cool" with each other for parking in front of each other's houses as long as it wasn't more than a day or so. Even if it was longer, we still did not go knocking on people's door to move their car out. It came as a huge surprise to me how much smack we got from just parking in front of a neighbor's house (and it wasn't even really in front of their house in the first place since part of the car cut into our driveway).

*A lot of people are saying that I park in front of the neighbor's house frequently: it happened only twice, and it is a mere coincidence they were so close to each other. Obviously I did not intend it that way, nor was "planning to". The first incident was caused by me, the second another family member. Not ignorance by me for the 2nd incident.
*I am selfish because I don't park on the driveway nor in front of my house? Clearly those who wrote that did not read my posts carefully. I wrote down my reasoning and explanations already. Ignorance at its best.
you keep mentioning the "distance between the two cars" and quite frankly i'm not buying it....most cars a relativley close in total width and most cars now a days have foldable side mirros. i have a standard sized garage and can fit two cars in there with no problem and no worries about hitting the other vehicle. i have a ford explorer and a nissan z....the explorer is obviously the bigger vehicle and wider than the z, but the z has longer doors....and NEITHER ONE has any door dings or scratches on the mirrors......i'm the one that mentioned working 18 hr shifts, and if i could drive 30 miles back home then i could park in the garage without a problem. and even if i did scratch my side mirror after a long shift, i would count my blessings that was all that happened and that i didn't get into a wreck because i fell asleep at the wheel. it sounds like you either need to stop working long shifts or at the very least, drink a cup of coffee/monster/red bull before the end of your work shift that way you're not "too tired" to drive.

everyone is saying your selfish because your "reasoning and explanations" are just that,,,,selfish. you don't want to park in the driveway because you don't want to move your cars around in the morning....you park on the street because you're tired. do you see how many times the word YOU comes up in those scenarios?

you say it only happened twice and it's not done frequently...yet your neighbors just moved in recently. and had they not mentioned their dislike for the situation, you probably would of continued to do so.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,174,639 times
Merry Christmas, everyone! Wonder what the neighbor will think when Santa parks his sleigh on his roof.

Ronnie

Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,267 times
I have a right to blow smoke in your face if I want. I have a right to play my crappy music in the car at the highest decibel just so I can irritate you, if I want. I have a right to cut in line or get the parking space you were waiting for just cause I want to. I have a right to interrupt you when you speak. I have all kinds of rights. Stresses you out? Too bad. Remember, you don't matter - it's all about me and my rights. This really isn't about laws, it's about being decent human being.

Last edited by ohmanon; 12-13-2011 at 07:27 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
The world doesn't revolve around you. The garage and driveway are there for a purpose. So sorry that is so inconvenient for you to move cars. I wouldn't like you parking in front of my house either. It would annoy me even more if I saw your driveway empty.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
The world doesn't revolve around you. The garage and driveway are there for a purpose. So sorry that is so inconvenient for you to move cars. I wouldn't like you parking in front of my house either. It would annoy me even more if I saw your driveway empty.
This ^^ plus everything dbbd said above and what modster wrote & what ohmanon wrote, too.

You asked for thoughts on this and it appears that most, with a few exceptions, feel the same way - to park in front of someone else's house because it's more convenient for you when you have an empty driveway shows a lack of courtesy.

The more you write, the more defensive & petty you appear. JMO.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 12-13-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
I don't see that big of a problem with it, but your neighbor does, so that should be an incentive to work out something with this person. I'm actually of the same mindset as NYer75, but we do have a different layout here in the Northeast. It's not uncommon to have to park your car 5 or more blocks from where you live. It's generally just an inconvenience to have and here you're the source of your own pain---however you're in Texas and people are very protective of their property, so you gotta do as the Texans do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: