Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 PM

8 posts, read 87,603 times

Advertisements

So we recently have a new neighbor that moved in and already had a bad start with them. It's an elderly Chinese couple and they were downright rude giving me the ugly grumpy looks for parking in front of their house, and we don't park their unless we really have to! The only times we parked there, they complained to us twice -- one in person and the other at our doorstep. I was wondering if you can give me some of your opinions on who's "right" and "wrong".

So here is how we park our cars: 2 in the garage and 2 in the front of the house. We don't want cars on the driveway because the cars in the garage will be a hassle to get out. I park my car in the garage, and the other family member that I will mention later on parks in front of the house.

The first time:
I was in a rush to attend an event at night. I parked in front of their house because it is much easier to drive out from there. So why not park on the driveway? Because the neighbors across from us always park in front of their house and (sometimes on their own driveways!), so reversing out onto an already narrow street is occasionally very tough to perform. I came out an hour later to leave and I happened to bump into the neighbors when they were putting our their trash. It so happened my car was in the way of them putting their trash can out because their trash can was tipping due to an overload of boxes (since they just moved in), and they didn't want it to hit my car. Fine, I agree I caused them an inconvenience and I would be more than happy to move my car out for them. However one thing I did not like hearing from them was their rudeness in explaining to me "that this isn't just your space you know, we have to use it too" <Then they gave me an ugly look>. I don't see the purpose of that tone because neither side had bad intentions, and all it was was just bad timing. I kindly apologized to them, and went on my ways. I was even eager to greet them since they were new neighbors -- so much for that..

The second time:
One of my family members parked in front of their house recently because there were no parking spots in front of the house. Long story short I was tired that night and thought it was easier to park in front of the house (and don't ask why), and the other slot was already occupied. Why did he not park on the driveway? Because the car leaks oil due to its age, and we don't want it to stain our driveway which it badly did on our old house. And no, we had no intention to stain the road in front of the neighbors house either. In fact he parked really close to our driveway so it appears the car is more on our side than the neighbors. This was for one night only, less than 24 hours. The next morning the neighbor elderly lady came knocking on our door and rudely telling us we need to move our car out because we were taking their space. We told them it was public property, and the elderly lady asked why don't you park on your driveway? Our response? "None of your business". Come'on do we have to give a reason? Keep in mind, we only park in front of people's houses if we have to. Otherwise we always keep our property where it "should" belong. The elderly lady then said to us that we are a strange family.

I was wondering if any of you can give your thoughts. It angers me that this neighbor can be so territorial about a space that wasn't theirs in the first place. We weren't inconsiderate, or at least never intentional. I only wish a happy neighbor relationship, that's all. Thanks.

**The area is non-gated and is completely open. In fact my entire subdivision isn't gated.**
**Also they only have 2 cars, so they don't have other cars that need to take up the front space either. If so then we would have avoided their fronts in the first place.**

Last edited by friendlyguy010; 12-10-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 PM

696 posts, read 1,726,584 times
Bad neighbors = sleepless nights.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:23 PM

171 posts, read 414,295 times
Unless it is gated and private then it is a public roadway. Technically its just as much anyone's as theirs. Just watch out for fire hydrants.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyguy010 View Post
So we recently have a new neighbor that moved in and already had a bad start with them. It's an elderly Chinese couple and they were downright rude giving me the ugly grumpy looks for parking in front of their house, and we don't park their unless we really have to! The only times we parked there, they complained to us twice -- one in person and the other at our doorstep. I was wondering if you can give me some of your opinions on who's "right" and "wrong".

So here is how we park our cars: 2 in the garage and 2 in the front of the house. We don't want cars on the driveway because the cars in the garage will be a hassle to get out. I park my car in the garage, and the other family member that I will mention later on parks in front of the house.

The first time:
I was in a rush to attend an event at night. I parked in front of their house because it is much easier to drive out from there. So why not park on the driveway? Because the neighbors across from us always park in front of their house and (sometimes on their own driveways!), so reversing out onto an already narrow street is occasionally very tough to perform. I came out an hour later to leave and I happened to bump into the neighbors when they were putting our their trash. It so happened my car was in the way of them putting their trash can out because their trash can was tipping due to an overload of boxes (since they just moved in), and they didn't want it to hit my car. Fine, I agree I caused them an inconvenience and I would be more than happy to move my car out for them. However one thing I did not like hearing from them was their rudeness in explaining to me "that this isn't just your space you know, we have to use it too" <Then they gave me an ugly look>. I don't see the purpose of that tone because neither side had bad intentions, and all it was was just bad timing. I kindly apologized to them, and went on my ways. I was even eager to greet them since they were new neighbors -- so much for that..

The second time:
One of my family members parked in front of their house recently because there were no parking spots in front of the house. Long story short I was tired that night and thought it was easier to park in front of the house (and don't ask why). Why did he not park on the driveway? Because the car leaks oil due to its age, and we don't want it to stain our driveway which it badly did on our old house. And no, we had no intention to stain the road in front of the neighbors house either. In fact he parked really close to our driveway so it appears the car is more on our side than the neighbors. This was for one night only, less than 24 hours. The next morning the neighbor elderly lady came knocking on our door and rudely telling us we need to move our car out because we were taking their space. We told them it was public property, and the elderly lady asked why don't you park on your driveway? Our response? "None of your business". Come'on do we have to give a reason? Keep in mind, we only park in front of people's houses if we have to. Otherwise we always keep our property where it "should" belong. The elderly lady then said to us that we are a strange family.

I was wondering if any of you can give your thoughts. It angers me that this neighbor can be so territorial about a space that wasn't theirs in the first place. We weren't inconsiderate, or at least never intentional. I only wish a happy neighbor relationship, that's all. Thanks.
I, personally have always found parking cars in the street to look tacky. A lot of homeowners associations even have ordinances against it if the community is gated. The cookie cutter neighbors in suburban Houston are usually lined with cars in the streets. When I was living in Southwest Houston I'd always try to park my car in front of the house I was living at because there was no room in the driveway so it wouldn't **** the neighbors off & out of common courtesy.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I, personally always found parking cars in the street to look tacky. A lot of homeowners associations even have ordinances against it.
I agree to an extent, however, sometimes there really isn't anything you can do about it. Of course if the household has only 2 cars, then why should they be parking on the streets anyways right? However, we have 4 cars (and one is actually a friend of ours we are taking care of since he is out of town). Having 2 cars on the driveway and inside the garage is not desirable in any way because it is always an extra step to get the car behind it out so the one in the garage can get out. Also the spots in front of our house are already occupied, and the next free spot is farther down the street. It doesn't make sense to park that far keeping in mind that we won't be parking in front of the neighbors house temporarily.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,054,186 times
Sounds like a bad start already. But you can park on the street in front of their house without any issues. They might not like it, all they can do is complain to you.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyguy010 View Post
I agree to an extent, however, sometimes there really isn't anything you can do about it. Of course if the household has only 2 cars, then why should they be parking on the streets anyways right? However, we have 4 cars (and one is actually a friend of ours we are taking care of since he is out of town). Having 2 cars on the driveway and inside the garage is not desirable in any way because it is always an extra step to get the car behind it out so the one in the garage can get out. Also the spots in front of our house are already occupied, and the next free spot is farther down the street. It doesn't make sense to park that far keeping in mind that we won't be parking in front of the neighbors house temporarily.
Ok, if you're going to park in the street just do so the right way ie: going with the flow of traffic or you CAN be ticketed.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ok, if you're going to park in the street just do so the right way ie: going with the flow of traffic or you CAN be ticketed.

Haha, I agree! I had a friend that was ticketed in front of his own house, only to find out the police ticketed all his neighbors and neighborhood for parking in the opposite traffic.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Next time he approaches your house to discuss it, be prepared to offer some crab rangoon. That'll smooth everything right over.

Short of that, tell him you'll be all too happy to move your car after he produces a title to the spot in front of his house with his name on it.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:08 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
Actually I find parking in the street pretty annoying. They must have garages and driveways for a reason right? You can park two cars in the garage and two more in the drive way. Is it convenient? Nope. But you rather screw the guys across the street so you can keep it convenient for YOU right?
I had a similar issue with my previous house and it wasn't pretty at all but he got the message after a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: