Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:37 PM

25 posts, read 219,862 times

Advertisements

Im relocating to the Houston area this coming summer and Im strongly considering going the "barndomiun" route. I've had the big fancy home and I'm over it, but love the idea of a very low maintenance, sturdy and relatively low cost home/shop. These appear to be very popular in Texas. Id like to discuss the pros and cons of this concept, from design, available land, zoning, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:00 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I've never heard of this before, but found some interesting pics through google. I wonder how hard they would be to cool in the summer (which lasts about 9 months here in Houston)?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I've never heard of this before, but found some interesting pics through google. I wonder how hard they would be to cool in the summer (which lasts about 9 months here in Houston)?

I don't think cooling would be all that bad if its well insulated because its really a house within a metal building so you have two layers of insulation and a big air gap between the two.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,238 times
zoning.... um none. Also, I see so many of these around town so I don't think you would have to build one...just use one of the many abandoned buildings

Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
I ran across one or two of these but never knew that they had their own species name until I googled just now. I have no idea about pros or cons, sorry. Update us as you find out more, interesting idea.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 PM

They are basically a commercial metal building, but with a living space rather than offices and typically half or more is open to be used for stowage or maybe a home business. They are faster and less expensive to build than a conventional stick built house and no worries about termites, rot, shingles, etc. You can go as plain or fancy as you want.

Last edited by bazooka; 12-15-2011 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
My family has been on this trail for a while. In Houston, between he heat, mosquitos and allergies, we don't spend a lot of time in the yard. We have been considering a bat cave approach. The building can be configured a many ways to permit lots of sun.
Good luck with your project. Subdivisions are out due to deed restrictions.
I was told some time ago by a real estate agent that some folks had converted hangers at our local little airport into housing.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
They have Silo-miniums on Woodall Rodgers in Dallas.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:08 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My family has been on this trail for a while. In Houston, between he heat, mosquitos and allergies, we don't spend a lot of time in the yard. We have been considering a bat cave approach. The building can be configured a many ways to permit lots of sun.
Good luck with your project. Subdivisions are out due to deed restrictions.
I was told some time ago by a real estate agent that some folks had converted hangers at our local little airport into housing.
I knew someone who lived at an airport community in Waller.
She commuted by plane most days.
Flew her plane to the little airport that used to be on Westheimer outside the beltway where she kept a beater car which she drove to our office just inside the beltway.

This is another barndominium I photographed last year out in Chappell Hill.

http://bluelemonphoto.com/current/in...in_the_country

The architects are LOJO | Logan and Johnson Architecture

Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM

45 posts, read 217,034 times
The property would either have to have no deed restrictions or restrictions that would allow this type of structure. You might have to live further away from the city/city conveniences to get this property. I know for some that would be a pro and for some it would be a con.

If you make your living working in the "barn" part of the barndominium, or you can telecommute, no commute would be a huge pro.
Cons? Resale might be tougher as that type of home would probably not appeal to the masses.

I know a lady who built one off of 288 in Pearland or Manvel. The bottom is an actual barn (4 stalls) and she lives on top. I also visited another one in Germany which again was a barn on the bottom with lots of stalls, living space on top and attached to an indoor riding arena. This was a horse trainer's home - it was amazing! It was so effecient, great use of space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston