Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV_DoubleE View Post
your right, i'm guessing the valedictorian, or anyone in the top 10 percent of their school, was not waiting in line for a pair of shoes. Especially not for $180.

There's typically different mentality between them and someone that wants a pair of J's.
I went to one of the best engineering schools in the Midwest and I have to say that your comment is completely wrong.
Aside from being an ignorant comment.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:54 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Is it different than standing in line for the newest iphone? What about for the newest Twilight, Harry Potter, or Star Wars movie? Black Friday sales? People camp overnight nearly every week for something -- just because shoes aren't popular in your culture doesn't make them stupid.
Those people are losers too. I have the newest iPhone. I didn't wait in line to get it. I just waited a couple of months after it came, no lines no crowds, just in and out.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 5,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I went to one of the best engineering schools in the Midwest and I have to say that your comment is completely wrong.
Aside from being an ignorant comment.

two things:
1. what does going to a great engineering school have to do with anything?
2. What part of that was ignorant?

If I was "
  1. Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
  2. Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular
Please inform me.

Im from Dallas, went to middle school in Oakcliff, this is when they robbed the train for the blue and grey J's, everyone in the hood had a pair then.
went to high school in oakcliff and garland(a suburb).the majority of people's emphasis on J's was different between the two schools. Oakcliff, was majority black and Hispanic. majority of people, alot of them smart, alot didnt care about school as much, the mentality of the majority was that you were cool if you had a pair of J's. If you only looked at the top ten percent, that changed. Not saying that no one in that 10% wanted them, there was just more of a reasonable mind frame than if you looked at the school as a whole.

move to the suburbs(white school), and things change abit. there are still some that will go wait in line for shoes, but not as much when compared to the black and Hispanic schools. even there the majority of people that really cared about the shoes were black. not all, because a few white kids had them too.

Im using colors to describe culture. not saying that all black, whites or whatever act a certain way, but there is a certain percentage that lives up to the stereotypes.

Anyways, I went to Prairie View A&M, Its an HSBCU. things such as shoes was a hot topic there for alot of people. Not all, but a good majority, most people would not have gone and waited in line for them, but they would go pay extra money to be one of the exclusive few to have shoes like that.

And while there are people that would spend money on shoes like that, and wait in line for things like that. The majority of people that were focused more on their academics, were probable in labs or study groups getting ready for an exam or finishing a report.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,992,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
Is it different than standing in line for the newest iphone? What about for the newest Twilight, Harry Potter, or Star Wars movie? Black Friday sales? People camp overnight nearly every week for something -- just because shoes aren't popular in your culture doesn't make them stupid.
*sigh* The thing is...Jordans have been associated with black people for years. Sure, there's no "black only" on the box and the shoes are for any and everyone but honestly, tell the truth...on a busy, normal day say you see 1000, you'll most likely see them only on black guys and maybe like 10 white guys in between.

I've had these madness discussions with family and friends for years and for me it's just stupid because from what I see over the years (and I'm from the generation who remembers being in elementary/middle school when these shoes first came out and people went postal) it always felt like it was the hard working, single moms really working hard and struggling to get her son some expensive a$$ Jordans. You know they're getting free lunch but they have Jordans on and their whole outfit is like $200 with the shoes? WHAT? Let's stay in that apartment and eat free lunch but as long as Jordans line the floor and Roc-a-wear lines the rack you're solid. It just feels that way, but then again, I don't care what color you are. There's no logic in that, whatever color of the rainbow you are.

Twilight, iPhones, and all the others are really and completely diverse.

I've said it once before and got looks that should have had me 6ft under from people but I personally don't like it, well I pretty much hate it. I hate that clothes and shoes and stuff from black celebrities are mostly bought by black people and they're hella expensive. If everyone bought them in equal quantities it would be cool but they don't. I heard someone once say "For us, by us, to rob us" and I had to nod and agree.

And I may have stepped in it good with ^^^ that but I honestly doubt most and I mean most people regardless of color and tons of black people haven't thought the same thing

I'm not bothered greatly by it but I just know I'll never suppose that nonsense. Well it does bother me greatly when I see in my own family the ones who struggle the MOST are making sure their sons are walking the halls with as many pairs of Jordans they can scrape money together to buy and the ones who think having babies are the "in" thing are more decked out in Apple Bottoms and Baby Phat than celebs but just had their car repossessed. But that's their stupidity and if they want to do it, more power to them. I will always find it stupid. Then again, I shop at Macy's, JC Penney, Forever 21, Kohl's, Charlotte Russe, Old Navy, etc and get a truck load of clothes for what I can afford. I went to Old Navy this past week and almost did a cartwheel $10-$12 sweaters? And some cute sweaters at that? I went a little crazy but I just bought a LOT of clothes for the price of a pair of Jordans.

Then again, I don't really care for designer anything. Not urban, not designer anything.

I can find 3 cute as hell purses at Dillard's for one ugly Coach purse with those God awful C's all over the fabric.

But that's me.

Last edited by DejaBlue; 12-24-2011 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Talking Its like the King of All Kicks

I don't think they are doing nothing wrong personally. They just want a pair of J's. Everyone is different, we all like different things and believe or not they have plenty of people who are fans of MJ and his shoes (like my brother). No one complains when people stand in a long lines on black Fridays for probably the same stuff (BS), so whats the difference. Also J's are like Nike's top selling shoes so if you factor in the holidays, its kind of expected.

I remember one Christmas that all my brother said he wanted and that's all he got. He was very happy all over some shoes but I would have felt the same way if I got some Timberland boots. (big fan of Tims)

Old 12-24-2011, 10:52 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
People, this was a report on Fox. They have to do their best to please their demographic, which happens to like to see minorities portrayed in a negative light.

If you don't believe me, read the crap that scrolls on the cable T.V. Fox News. They are a bunch of sick, pathetic race baiters overseen by a creepy old man who likes to hack phones.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
People, this was a report on Fox. They have to do their best to please their demographic, which happens to like to see minorities portrayed in a negative light.

If you don't believe me, read the crap that scrolls on the cable T.V. Fox News. They are a bunch of sick, pathetic race baiters overseen by a creepy old man who likes to hack phones.
Are you serious?!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 PM

561 posts, read 972,700 times
I am 22 and I WANT THOSE JORDANS BAD!! Those shoes look GOOD. I guess the people that find those shoes ugly are over the age of 35...

But would I stand outside the mall for 10+ hours... probably not, but I wouldn't mind paying $200 for them. They are shoes that not many people have, and their instantly recognizable. It's not a race thing, just think about it, wouldn't you want to buy something that many people don't have, and people instantly recognize it. It's why middle-aged WHITE men buy Ferrari's and Porsche's and they are definately overpaying, by a very signaficant amount.

But, the fighting, the hysteria and the endangerment of peoples well-being is what is sad and pathetic.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:40 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
I am 22 and I WANT THOSE JORDANS BAD!! Those shoes look GOOD. I guess the people that find those shoes ugly are over the age of 35...

But would I stand outside the mall for 10+ hours... probably not, but I wouldn't mind paying $200 for them. They are shoes that not many people have, and their instantly recognizable. It's not a race thing, just think about it, wouldn't you want to buy something that many people don't have, and people instantly recognize it. It's why middle-aged WHITE men buy Ferrari's and Porsche's and they are definately overpaying, by a very signaficant amount.

But, the fighting, the hysteria and the endangerment of peoples well-being is what is sad and pathetic.
I'm between 20 and 25, and I don't want those shoes!

Old 12-24-2011, 02:52 PM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm between 20 and 25, and I don't want those shoes!
You must not be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston