Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:54 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
As far as destination, Galleria is more urban and trendy hood.
What is meant by this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 09:11 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14bricks View Post
what is with you and the gap?

Old 07-26-2020, 02:10 PM

134 posts, read 133,428 times
I'm going with the Galleria

Old 07-26-2020, 06:47 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
And please leave Dallas and Miami out of the discussion
Yeah, Miami isn't worthy of this discussion because they doesn't have a central mall--just balkanize it in various developments all over Dade County. Dallas isn't worthy because NorthPark Mall comes close, but it's showing its age (Galleria keeps getting facelifts every 10 years) along with the presence of nearby Galleria Dallas.

Lennox-Phipps kind of reminds me of Tysons in D.C. But isn't Perimeter a formidable competitor, preventing Lennox-Phipps being the center like theGalleria does for Houston? Or is Perimeter more like Memorial City Mall? Lennox and Perimeter gets plenty of mentions, while Phipps is on the sidelines.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:48 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Yeah, Miami isn't worthy of this discussion because they doesn't have a central mall--just balkanize it in various developments all over Dade County. Dallas isn't worthy because NorthPark Mall comes close, but it's showing its age (Galleria keeps getting facelifts every 10 years) along with the presence of nearby Galleria Dallas.

Lennox-Phipps kind of reminds me of Tysons in D.C. But isn't Perimeter a formidable competitor, preventing Lennox-Phipps being the center like theGalleria does for Houston? Or is Perimeter more like Memorial City Mall? Lennox and Perimeter gets plenty of mentions, while Phipps is on the sidelines.
Perimeter is more like Memorial or The Woodlands Mall. Galleria is on a different tier than Perimeter.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Perimeter is more like Memorial or The Woodlands Mall. Galleria is on a different tier than Perimeter.
Thanks for the confirmation. The second-ring location of Perimeter is more similar to MCM.

I remember Perimeter because of the Bloomingdale's store. (Good marker, along with Nordstrom, to determine if a mall is middle-market or upscale/luxury.) It closed in 2012, but the Lennox store is still open.

Found this article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Bloomingdale's closing 4 stores, including Perimeter Mall

Quote:
Because Atlanta's luxury market is focused at Lenox and Phipps Plaza, Bieri said, having a Bloomingdale's elsewhere may have stretched a luxury shopper too far. He said it isn't unusual for Bloomingdale's to close a store but stay in the market for some time.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:51 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,566,837 times
To me, Galleria because it stands alone. Lenox and Phipps are carbon copies of each other; the same stores in Lenox can be found in Phipps. I think Galleria is easier to get to from a traveling standpoint.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:13 AM

13 posts, read 11,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I recently moved back to Houston, after living in Atlanta. The Galleria, being so large and centered, is more of a city institution. Lenox and Phipps, are merely major malls located in a much more famous neighborhood (Buckhead).

The shopping offered in both districts is more or less the same, with no outrageous differences. The remarkable distinction between the two is the whole "show-stopper" scene, associated with Atlanta's wealthy, that can be seen parading around the area. You have your random assortment of mostly black celebrities that frequent the malls, and locals get to dress up and feel like somebody for a day, buying underwear in the same store as Usher and Young Jeezy.
This is spot on.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:02 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,629 times
Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. The second-ring location of Perimeter is more similar to MCM.

I remember Perimeter because of the Bloomingdale's store. (Good marker, along with Nordstrom, to determine if a mall is middle-market or upscale/luxury.) It closed in 2012, but the Lennox store is still open.

Found this article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Bloomingdale's closing 4 stores, including Perimeter Mall
Bloomingdale's at Perimeter was replaced by Von Maur, which is the Midwestern equivalent to Nordstrom, but they've been making inroads in the Atlanta and Birmingham markets.

As for this, I'll say The Galleria. Lenox/Phipps are fine in their own right, but the Galleria packs a punch. Lenox/Phipps connecting like King of Prussia outside Philadelphia (which were two separate malls before being branded as one before they were connected physically) would make it comparable to the Galleria, but that'll never happen for a number of reasons (the elevation differences, and I'm sure the Phipps merchants don't want the Lenox crowd)

Old 07-27-2020, 01:48 PM

9,872 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Yeah, Miami isn't worthy of this discussion because they doesn't have a central mall--
Yes they do. The Aventura Mall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston