Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I dunno, Chicago and Manhattan have tons of buildings in a really small area.
DT to TMC is about a mile.
DT to GW is about 4Miles
DT to UT is about 6 Miles
DT to GP is 14 miles

DT to TMC is the only one that is feasible. and it is very likely because of all the undeveloped land in between. All they need to do is start building tons of 10-15 story buildings. Many people would kill to live in midtown but the land owners are just sitting on the land making it more and more expensive. Crap by the time condos start going up there no one will be able to afford living there. So sadly its is probably gonna be more apartment complexes going up there
Apartments add great density and street life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
no they don't. Apartments house thousands here and everyone drive. in some areas there are seas of apartments housing tens of thousands and no retail whatsoever. those don't fit in well with merging skylines. who wants to merge skylines with apartment complexes? most of them build more parking lots than living areas.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
no they don't. Apartments house thousands here and everyone drive. in some areas there are seas of apartments housing tens of thousands and no retail whatsoever. those don't fit in well with merging skylines. who wants to merge skylines with apartment complexes? most of them build more parking lots than living areas.
I guess it depends on the city and the aparment development. DC has some nice apartment developments that add density and street life.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
the key is "urban planning"
Yes, apartments are a good idea, just like the suburbs are a good idea.
But the longer I live in the suburbs, the more I see that there is really bad urban planning when suburbs are built (no public parks, roads too narrow, no sidewalks, etc, etc.)

Same thing applies to apartments,
you can't have 1000s of people living in a few buildings without making sure that there was some good urban planning done before.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,231,263 times
Quote:
And that's why I'm annoyed by development in Houston; the midtown, 4th ward areas and more have extreme potential, but the city is screwing it up. Small sidwalks,little to no retail, and more. It's more than just throwing up urban style apartments.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,463 times
The "Urban" sprawl and different BDs are what make Houston special.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,274,629 times
Quote:
I dunno, Chicago and Manhattan have tons of buildings in a really small area.
DT to TMC is about a mile.
DT to GW is about 4Miles
DT to UT is about 6 Miles
DT to GP is 14 miles

DT to TMC is the only one that is feasible. and it is very likely because of all the undeveloped land in between. All they need to do is start building tons of 10-15 story buildings. Many people would kill to live in midtown but the land owners are just sitting on the land making it more and more expensive. Crap by the time condos start going up there no one will be able to afford living there. So sadly its is probably gonna be more apartment complexes going up there

happy new year to everyone!

I think you're being a little generous on the 1 mile difference between TMC and downtown. It's gotta be at least 4.

I think we all tend to forget how spread out Houston really is

stoneclaw/C2H

Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,292,292 times
No one can name a # 3 other than us? Of course we are already third best skyline. Who else ?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
No one can name a # 3 other than us? Of course we are already third best skyline. Who else ?
Miami????

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
h

I think you're being a little generous on the 1 mile difference between TMC and downtown. It's gotta be at least 4.

I think we all tend to forget how spread out Houston really is
google maps says the distance straight up San Jacinto from the MD Aesthetic Surgery Center (Tall buildings near Binz) to the Tall buildings near Webster is 1.7miles.

At least 4????Maybe if you take highways to get there.

I think we all tend to overplay how far apart things are in Houston sometimes. Thats why we don't walk anywhere.

And there are tall buildings in between the two points that I chose. There are good sized residential buildings, plus there are the HCC administration buildings etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston