Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 11:11 PM

56 posts, read 234,454 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving to Houston so that our son can attend the Westview Middle School in the fall. This private school is located in West Houston at 1900 Kersten Dr., off Hammerly at Beltway 8. I work by myself, so I will get a small office near the school. Commute to this school is our primary concern.

We visited the area this weekend and viewed a lot of neighborhoods. We prefer new construction, so we spent most of our time in the Katy and Cypress areas. Our favorite community was Bridgeland, however we're now reading horror stories about the 290 commute. Do you think it will take us > 30 minutes to travel from Bridgeland to the school during rush hour?

Also, I'll be taking my son to and from school, so would we be able to take advantage of the HOV lanes? If so, how much would that reduce our commute?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:43 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
Yes, it will take you at least that long. Does the 290 HOV lane extend past Hwy 6 yet? It was scheduled to open in Aug 2011 but the HOV map hasn't been updated to reflect it. Even if you could access the HOV lane there isn't a convenient access ramp to the beltway. You would have to exit the HOV at the W. Little York P&R and work your way through some busy intersections to get on the beltway heading south.

We live off 290 just inside the beltway and travel that highway several times daily with DH working downtown and kids going to private school in town. We don't find the commute to be onerous at all, but again we live inside the beltway. My mother lives off Huffmeister and I've driven her many times to appointments. It has taken the better part of half an hour just to get to the beltway from there on 290, one exit past Hwy 6.

Does it have to be new construction, or will newer construction work for you? Have you considered Lakes on Eldridge? It would be much more convenient for you and has a similar vibe to Bridgelands.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Not only is the nightmare known as 290 something to consider, but how long do you plan to stay in Houston?

Bridgeland is a new community, once you buy the house you will never be able to sell it for close to your purchase price. People will always want the new build around the corner...just like you want new now. Not only that, the houses seem to sit a while, even brand new. Buying there is a long term commitment.

I would do some more research a little closer in. Eldridge Lakes and Twin Lakes are good options, and are for the most part built out communities...yet very isolated.

There are other options, but your tolerance for remodeled older homes would have to come into play. But resale and appreciation are a definite perk.

Personally, living within 15-20 minutes of the school is almost a must for most. Illness,sports and all the random things parents have to participate in comes into play.It can equal to a lot of driving.

Good Luck

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-23-2012 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Thanks for your replies. We looked at Lakes on Eldridge this past weekend as well. We liked the neighborhood, but the elementary school leaves a lot to be desired. Our other son will be attending a public elementary school, so that is another consideration for us. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in my original post.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
there isn't a convenient access ramp to the beltway.
Oh, that's not very nice. Do you know if there are plans to add a flyover between 290 and the Beltway?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,984 times
OP is correct, the HOV won't help you much at all since there is no direct Beltway exit off of it. I would also look at Jersey Village and Nottingham, Green Trails,etc in Katy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston