Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 18,002 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in Beaumont. I have heard terrible things about living in Beaumont. Are there any areas east of Houston that are around a 1 hour commute to Beaumont that are worth considering?

We live in Mansfield, TX which is in the DFW area. We love it. It is just outside Arlington and Ft Worth, but it still has a small town feel. The schools are great as well.

Is there anything comparable to that in the eastern suburbs of Houston/Baytown? I am up for the commute, if it is no longer than 75 minutes.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,055,298 times
I'm not familiar with Beaumont, but I can't really recommend anything in East Houston that would be worth the 1 hour+ drive. Baytown would be the same. I say, try to find the nicest part of Beaumont and save yourself the time and headaches of having a long commute.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM

105 posts, read 111,810 times
I would search Beaumont before looking for to do a commute.

That being said Mont Belvieu is decent. It is just outside of Baytown off of I-10.

There are some decent towns west of Beaumont as well.

Hamshire, Tx. Fannett, Tx

However; none of these areas is modern. You will not find a movie theatre or a mall. They are small townish

Old 01-25-2012, 02:30 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,713 times
Have you considered Lumberton? A nice, small town north of Beaumont. Many people commute to Beaumont from Lumberton....I'd say it's less than a 30 minute commute depending on where in Beaumont you are going. Id say Lumberton is very comparable to Mansfield in terms of schools and that small town feel. I'd also say Lumberton is prettier than MAnsfield as it is surrounded by pine forests. Be ready for the hottest summers of your life, however.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
You can try Northeast Houston and the Atascocita area. You can go down to I-10, or take 90 into Beaumont.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Have you considered Lumberton? A nice, small town north of Beaumont. Many people commute to Beaumont from Lumberton....I'd say it's less than a 30 minute commute depending on where in Beaumont you are going. Id say Lumberton is very comparable to Mansfield in terms of schools and that small town feel. I'd also say Lumberton is prettier than MAnsfield as it is surrounded by pine forests. Be ready for the hottest summers of your life, however.
Isn't Lumberton close to Kountze, TX??? I've heard pretty bad things about that town.

I do know people who live in Beaumont and really like it. They live in the historic area of Beaumont which is the oldest historic neighborhood in Texas, I think, if I remember correctly...

Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Isn't Lumberton close to Kountze, TX??? I've heard pretty bad things about that town.

I do know people who live in Beaumont and really like it. They live in the historic area of Beaumont which is the oldest historic neighborhood in Texas, I think, if I remember correctly...
Yeah it's about 20 miles away. I've worked in that area off and on for many years. I can tell you Lumberton is definitely the nicest small town in that part of the state..compared to Silsbee, Winnie, Kountze, Kirbyville and worst of all Vidor. When the whites and people with money were fleeing Beaumont in the 80s they were either moving out completely or to Lumberton...

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,562 times
With the proximity to all the industry over there, I bet the air in Beaumont is just lovely. Take a deep breath, and your lungs will glow just fine without an X-ray.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,142,120 times
I know some people who live in Beaumont, and they like it.

Atascocita is going to run you 1.5 hours so I wouldn't do that. Mont Belview would be about a hour and some change to Beaumont, and about 30 minutes or so to Houston if you would rather keep closer to a larger city.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
West end of Beaumont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston