Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 16,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Houston is becoming a high energy Boron molecule. (with 5 business centers around the nucleus CBD.)
When I first came to Houston and noticed all the business districts, I immediately though of Los Angeles. Both cites are quite sprawling (LA obviously more so, but then it's also much larger) and have a number of spread out business districts. LA does have, however, a relatively less important downtown than Houston, but basically what you have is a city that as it expanded, saw businesses grow out in their own little clusters to accomodate people moving out from the city.

In LA there's downtown, obviously, but also Santa Monica, Burbank, Long Beach, and places in Orange County like Irvine. Those are just the spots that come to mind off the top of my head.

I think Houston simply follows the path of a large, sprawling, rapidly growing city. As people move outward, it makes plenty of sense to have businesses move outward to make their own little business districts just as if it were a collection of smaller cities rather than one big city with only one major business hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,568,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMay View Post
In many cases these sorts of big infrastructure projects can see effectively lose-lose.
Well, not for the developers.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m48xhp View Post
It already has. Exxon moving up there, Anadarko is already there and goign to build another tower, Waste Connections moved from CA to The Woodlands.

It is becoming a corporate utopia.
Exxon didn't move to the Woodlands. They moved into Houston's ETJ in the Spring area. The campus will be annexed by the COH once its complete. The tax dollas!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
I've known about Grand Parkway for a long time, but I seriously don't think that much of it will be completed in my lifetime. They've got to finish acquiring the right-of-way.

One interesting thing to note is this: Part of that eastern stretch will run along State Highway 146 and go through the Fred Hartman Bridge near Baytown, so that would be a spectacular piece of a partly-completed puzzle.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

8 posts, read 16,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Well, not for the developers.
Excellent point!

Old 02-01-2012, 02:51 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I've known about Grand Parkway for a long time, but I seriously don't think that much of it will be completed in my lifetime. They've got to finish acquiring the right-of-way.

One interesting thing to note is this: Part of that eastern stretch will run along State Highway 146 and go through the Fred Hartman Bridge near Baytown, so that would be a spectacular piece of a partly-completed puzzle.
How old are you? 90?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
How old are you? 90?
Try 45.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So, in order for "this area" to succeed in landing this business, we'll expand and further stretch the meaning of "this area" until there is nothing but "this area."

Ingenious.
actually the area as already defined by the census consist of 10 counties.
For the most part most of the rings have been confined to only one county.
The flaw in your logic is that Houston is stretching out to meet these highways.
That is false, The highways are actually stretching out to meet other counties in the metro.

While all of 610, Beltway 8 and most of 1960 have been confined to Harris, Waller, Montgomery, Brazoria, and Chambers are starting to get a piece of the action.

I am surprised that they have not been crying for a piece a long time ago. I hear that little can be done in DFW without the smaller burbs crying for a piece of the action.

Anyway you guys are acting like these projects are going far out of the Houston metro. In actuality it is just peeking out of the central county.

Compare transportation in DFW and Chicago with that of Houston.

DFW:

Chicago:

Detroit:

Houston:

I know these are old and it doesn't show 59 and beltway 8, and two additional counties (Austin and San Jac) are missing but what it does show is that Houston doesn't serve its metro uniformly as some other cities do.

people say that Houston MSA doesn't have room for 10 Million people, I ask why not. If these outside counties grow their counties the area can easily get to 10M. There are 9 counties totaling 8300 sq miles to support the 4M additional people.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,963,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Exxon didn't move to the Woodlands. They moved into Houston's ETJ in the Spring area. The campus will be annexed by the COH once its complete. The tax dollas!
Houston should annex all that **** and tell the NE people who complain about the city limits to suck its fat one. A lot of Greenspoint isn't in Houston City limits either. I did not know that. HP's US operations headquarters arein Houston ETJ in Greenspoint. I would annex that **** too. And annex all of the land around the Energy district. All of Katy, Spring, Cypress. Everything.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Houston should annex all that **** and tell the NE people who complain about the city limits to suck its fat one. A lot of Greenspoint isn't in Houston City limits either. I did not know that. HP's US operations headquarters arein Houston ETJ in Greenspoint. I would annex that **** too. And annex all of the land around the Energy district. All of Katy, Spring, Cypress. Everything.
You'd annex it but would you put a bird on it?

The ETJ was meant originally to prevent Harris county from dividing up into a hundred different municipalities and choking off the develop of the city of Houston but now that Houston covers all of Harris county and is looking to gobble up sections of other counties it may find it a little more difficult because why would other counties voluntarily give up their tax base to benefit a city not located within them. Houstons ETJ I imagine will begin to run into some serious turf wars soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston