Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,489,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Oh yes, Europeans are so very resourceful. They also handle their economy very well as well.

And again, oh yes, other states are so green and ahead of their time. California is a wonderful example. They also have a robust economy.

More people are moving to this state than any other. Funny...our anti-European ways and horrible resourcefulness don't deter them.

GIVE ME A BREAK!
Greece is a small part of Europe. Last time I checked, our unemployment rate wasn't 4%.
If you're implying they wouldn't be successful here.. well, then you didn't read the article -> "The chain entered the U.S. market in 1976 and now operates more than 1,000 outlets across the country."

Kind of far, though. Too bad. Looks like they won't open until 2013. Would have been nice if they had mentioned that in the article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM

18,133 posts, read 25,311,830 times
Hilarious,
there's an Aldi's smack right in the center of the best part of Overland Park, KS (South side of Overland Park)

Best Places to Live 2010 - Top 100: City details: #7 - Overland Park, KS - from MONEY Magazine

Old 02-07-2012, 06:42 PM

833 posts, read 1,888,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
So if I don't have a quarter on me for a cart I can't shop? Why not just higher an extra kid at minimum wage to take care of carts?
Because you would need more than one for a business open 7 days a week with extended hours. Also the cost of an employee is just not what you pay them but benefits and taxes.

Also carts walk off all the time and is a very big expense for any store. Have them locked up makes it a lot more difficult to walk off.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:14 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,509,668 times
Bunker Hill HEB/Costco has cart parking spots EVERYWHERE. So I never see free-range carts there. I don't know what other HEB's do, but this plan works. 25 cents to walk the cart is going to be less effective than easy access cart parking.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
Oh yes, Europeans are so very resourceful. They also handle their economy very well as well.

And again, oh yes, other states are so green and ahead of their time. California is a wonderful example. They also have a robust economy.

More people are moving to this state than any other. Funny...our anti-European ways and horrible resourcefulness don't deter them.

GIVE ME A BREAK!
You know what's funny? You harp on about how Europe is in such a shambles economically yet the last three retailers to start business in the Houston area are from California and Europe (2 are from Europe, actually).

How does it feel to have 74 cent a dozen packaged in a plain gray carton bagged by yourself Aldi store brand egg on your face?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,938,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
This is a really good idea. Seriously...is this being done anywhere?
Not in Texas, but...

BottleBill.org - What is a bottle bill?

Quote:
Today, ten states and eight Canadian provinces have a deposit law requiring refundable deposits on certain beverage containers. Although bottle bills meet with opposition from many members of the beverage and grocery industry, several states and provinces have expanded their laws to cover beverages such as juice and sports drinks, teas and bottled water—beverages that did not exist when most bottle bills were passed.
Actually there are 11 states with bottle bills
California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, Oregon and Vermont.

Container deposit legislation in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Texas unsuccessfully attempted to introduce a bottle bill into legislation in 2011. The bill set a redemption goal of 75% with a deposit rate of $0.10 for containers 24oz or less, and $0.15 for containers larger than 24oz. Beverages covered would be beer, malt, carbonated soft drinks, mineral water, wine, coffee, tea, juices and flavored and non-carbonated waters (dairy products excluded). Containers made of glass, plastic or aluminum containing a beverage of 4 liters or less would be covered. The Texas bottle bill did not gather enough votes.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 PM

172 posts, read 389,801 times
You know what IS a really seedy grocery store? The current Kroger on Mason Road in Katy. It has barely changed since the 80's when the Safeway (now Big Lots) behind Dairy Queen was still open. The Randalls which was Albertsons in Katy is my favorite grocery store of all time. Why the people of Houston rejected Albertsons I will never understand. That chain had some really nice stores in a time when Houston was littered with filthy Randalls and Kroger stores which were desperate for a remodel. Neither Randalls nor Kroger cleaned up their act until a while after Albertsons sold out, with the exception of the Albertsons stores they each bought. I feel that Randalls today is a very overpriced chain, and Kroger is a mediocre chain with a near monopoly and no consistent layout for their stores. That said, I do love what Randalls (SINCE Safeway took it over) has in terms of selection. The newer Randalls (and Kroger) on Mason is beautiful, but is too big for me to conveniently shop. Randalls prices themselves are not terrible, but their unit prices are a ripoff.

Last edited by magicoz; 02-07-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 10:28 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,166,621 times
Germany is the only competent economy in commie EU

Compare std of living of the $200K/yr worker of Exxon/Kinder, etc in Hou/Dall vs $200K/yr guy at Daimler in Stuttgart (or $300K/yr IT slave at GS NYC or $300K/yr rather mediocre/inept software engineer at GOOG in SiliconVy)....costs/size/quality/HVAC/lot size of house; ability to drive a new Merc to office/run errands; and access to a WFM-lvl grocery store in terms of costs, qual of fresh produce/fish/meats, etc

NYC is US' closest version of a 3rdWorld EU/Asia-wannabe slum....and until a few yrs ago, NYC lacked decent coffee or grocery stores until SBUX from WA or WFM from TX invaded the cesspool

And from what I understand, Germany's closed economy vs retailing yields about as inept, absurdly costly choices as would face US consumers if forced to buy only invariably crappy, uncompetitive US-engineered/built cars

Germans engineer/build great cars but largely depend upon CA-engineered chips/software and WA/GA-engineered birds (and any US/global consumer benefits from TX/OK-engineered innovations in unconv o&g)....global competition ultimately benefits any value-conscious consumer or worker or investor

Old 02-07-2012, 10:31 PM

172 posts, read 389,801 times
Is this my imagination, or was there a Kroger in the current Goodwill building? If there was, it would have been built no more than 30 years ago, but moved across the street at least 25 years ago. Perhaps there was a fire or something at the old one?

Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,461,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
You know what IS a really seedy grocery store? The current Kroger on Mason Road in Katy. It has barely changed since the 80's when the Safeway (now Big Lots) behind Dairy Queen was still open. The Randalls which was Albertsons in Katy is my favorite grocery store of all time. Why the people of Houston rejected Albertsons I will never understand. That chain had some really nice stores in a time when Houston was littered with filthy Randalls and Kroger stores which were desperate for a remodel. Neither Randalls nor Kroger cleaned up their act until a while after Albertsons sold out, with the exception of the Albertsons stores they each bought. I feel that Randalls today is a very overpriced chain, and Kroger is a mediocre chain with a near monopoly and no consistent layout for their stores. That said, I do love what Randalls (SINCE Safeway took it over) has in terms of selection. The newer Randalls (and Kroger) on Mason is beautiful, but is too big for me to conveniently shop. Randalls prices themselves are not terrible, but their unit prices are a ripoff.
The only thing I like about the Mason & Kingsland Kroger is the size. Unlike the newer superstores, it's not so big that it takes 30 minutes just to grab a few items! I wish more developers would go back to that scale.

Albertsons left Houston not because of market rejection but because of managerial incompetence. They were losing money after a poor merger choice a few years before. See this Chronicle article: Albertson's pulling out of Houston / 43 stores closing, 10 immediately

The article mentions the lack of differentiation between its competitors; basically what exactly made Albertsons different or more unique than Kroger, Safeway, H-E-B, and Fiesta?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston