Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Wow $6k? I had 19 windows and it wasn't anywhere near that amount. That sounds high but maybe not - I've had mine for about 5 years.
Heck, for 25 windows, we couldn't find a quote under 9K from most of the contractors online and from local store fronts (Lowes, Home Depot, etc). Average cost was about 12k for our home when we were quoted: 100% wood, 4" louvers, 2 door shutters

It wasn't until we visited a friend in Sugar Land that we were recommended a contractor that does business via word-of-mouth, no advertising.

Here is some of the work they did in our home:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,806,661 times
^^very nice^^

Would you mind sharing your contractor's info and cost?
That is something we might like to do eventually.... the 4" shutter look.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:25 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,366,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
^^very nice^^

Would you mind sharing your contractor's info and cost?
That is something we might like to do eventually.... the 4" shutter look.
No problem

PM'ing you now.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM

413 posts, read 1,180,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
No problem

PM'ing you now.

deckhanddavy - please PM me his info too.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM

79 posts, read 302,261 times
I'd love the info as well

Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM

538 posts, read 1,362,912 times
LOVE plantation shutters, but when I built, I deliberately didn't place anything along the back wall, because I want woven wood roman shades (there is nobody behind us). We have 2" blinds everywhere else. The poor man's plantation shutters, lol.

1 1/2 years later... yep. Still nothing on those windows.

Does anyone have experience with the online companies that work off of your measurements?

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM

103 posts, read 181,743 times
I'm in the process of looking at window treatments. I think I want custom roman shades made from a fabric of my choice. I've been quoted 140 to make them and at about 33/yard for the fabric that comes out to around $300/window. Does anybody have any experience with the RollEase mechanism? Is it worth paying extra for?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,496,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
LOVE plantation shutters, but when I built, I deliberately didn't place anything along the back wall, because I want woven wood roman shades (there is nobody behind us). We have 2" blinds everywhere else. The poor man's plantation shutters, lol.

1 1/2 years later... yep. Still nothing on those windows.

Does anyone have experience with the online companies that work off of your measurements?
I used blindz.com (A Houston company on Richmond) for faux wood blinds. Worked like a charm if you measured properly. Most online places give out free samples so make sure to get some samples before buying. Color on the screen may not be what you actually get, esp with roller shades. Installed myself and saved money, but it was a pain to do an inside mount (need small drills and small hands).

Old 08-05-2012, 06:45 PM

413 posts, read 1,180,401 times
^^^

We just got quoted $21 per sq yard and for one window it turned out to be $350 something. The fabric, lining and installation is separate. (it's a 35X72 window and I have many of those)

Can you give me your guys/gals name so I can talk to them and get a quote. $130 looks fine given what I just got.

We also want to buy the fabric and have Roman Shades and curtains made (with the same fabric as Roman). Any suggestions on where to buy the fabric and get them made & installed.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:32 AM

103 posts, read 181,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
^^^

We just got quoted $21 per sq yard and for one window it turned out to be $350 something. The fabric, lining and installation is separate. (it's a 35X72 window and I have many of those)

Can you give me your guys/gals name so I can talk to them and get a quote. $130 looks fine given what I just got.

We also want to buy the fabric and have Roman Shades and curtains made (with the same fabric as Roman). Any suggestions on where to buy the fabric and get them made & installed.
My favorite place to look for fabric is Glick's on 59N (exit Kirby, I think). You can find awesome, beautiful (but discontinued) fabric for $5/yard.

Unfortunately, the fabric we want is new and far away from being discontinued.

As for finding someone to make the roman shades and curtains, if you Google Houston Drapery a lot of places will come up and since this person hasn't actually made anything for us yet (just gave us a quote) I can't speak to her abilities. I found her on the Houston Area Custom Drapery Association - Professional Custom Drapery Fabricators and Workrooms in the Houston Area Houston Area Custom Drapery Association website. Edith Williamson.

My windows are 33x70, so I bet your price will be close to mine, too.

She's not the first person I talked to from that website, but she is the first to offer me RollEase which from what I gather is a lot better than any homespun roman shade mechanism.

I also had a window seat made by working with the Foam Brothers in East Houston who created a custom piece of foam to my specifications, wrapped in Dacron at an affordable price. I took a pattern to them.

I took the foam to Ordaya's Upholstery in Stafford and they covered it for $55. That included piping and it was a trapezoid piece, 80 inches long on its longest side. Everything looks great but there is a seam just three inches from the end of the longest side. I can't help but wonder why they did it that way, but for $55, I'm .

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston