Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,108 times

Advertisements

Appalling...

Jewish school to give up shot at state championship to observe Sabbath – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 06:43 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,495,689 times

I saw the school team being interviewed on the local news stations and they handled themselves with such grace and dignity. They did not place blame on any party, did not put on a spectacular rant, but rather said they were accepting of the rules. It's good to see them teach their students some good values and set a good example.

I was disappointed that the officials of the league did not yield a little considering that they could have played after sunset, it's not like they were trying to move the game to another day even.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM

20 posts, read 39,847 times
So happy to see the school, team, and players stand up for what they believe in! It is too bad the league did not budge, but perhaps it is leading to a more important learning experience for all the students involved.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I'm in favor of helping them out as long as it's reasonable.

BTW, I was reading about the Sabbath and I was surprised when I read Matthew 12:8.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Hilarious,
Wednesday they say
"You get put in adversity and the way you handle things says a lot about your character.
So this is an opportunity to show our character," Chris Cole, coach of the Beren Stars, told CNN Houston affiliate KPRC."

Next day I read this
Court order puts Jewish school back in playoffs
A group of parents with boys on the team subsequently sued TAPPS and a judge has now issued a temporary restraining order requiring the agency to reschedule the game.
TAPPS director Edd Burleson said Thursday that the association will honor the restraining order and allow Beren to play Friday afternoon.

Here's an idea...
how about we have a law about this for all religions?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:29 PM

563 posts, read 910,590 times
^^I think it's great but where do we go from here with religion and sports?

I can already see a headline in the not-too-distant future: "Team stops with 3 minutes left on the clock to face Mecca."

Last edited by MobileDave; 03-01-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 02:37 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Hilarious,
Wednesday they say
"You get put in adversity and the way you handle things says a lot about your character.
So this is an opportunity to show our character," Chris Cole, coach of the Beren Stars, told CNN Houston affiliate KPRC."

Next day I read this
Court order puts Jewish school back in playoffs
A group of parents with boys on the team subsequently sued TAPPS and a judge has now issued a temporary restraining order requiring the agency to reschedule the game.
TAPPS director Edd Burleson said Thursday that the association will honor the restraining order and allow Beren to play Friday afternoon.

Here's an idea...
how about we have a law about this for all religions?
Typical hypocrites lol

Old 03-01-2012, 02:44 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Good way to show the kids that you don't have to follow the rules, if you don't get your way, just take somebody to court and sue them.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:54 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,176,658 times
The NCAA makes it so that BYU doesn't have to play any games (all sports) on Sunday even if they make it to the NCAA championships. So, they do it for Mormons, why not Jews?

Ronnie

Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,478,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Good way to show the kids that you don't have to follow the rules, if you don't get your way, just take somebody to court and sue them.
Wait a second. TAPPS is the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. This is the umbrella organization under which all private schools in Texas play sports. But they have made a rule that necessarily excludes all Jews from fully participating. The law is unjust. The legal system has been put into place so that when someone is unjustly wronged they have a way to settle the dispute. When someone lies and uses the legal system to get their way even when they haven't been wronged, it's immoral. There was nothing wrong with what this school did. They used to avenues legally available to them to challenge the rule of an organization that was unjust.

Let's think back a few years. Rosa Parks broke the law when she sat in the white section of the bus. The law was unjust. At that time there was no legal recourse with which she could dispute the law. So she made a quiet statement to try to challenge the unjust law. Now, thanks to Ms. Parks and many others likes her, we have the legal means to fight these types of things...and you say they are wrong to use them. Shame on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: