Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times

Advertisements

Racist A$$ city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 PM

433 posts, read 701,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I'm sorry but I think children should be learning English in our schools and make that the primary language in school (don't agree with standing in a corner for speaking a native language though). The best way to learn is to speak the language. Having a Latino name shouldn't hinder anyone from getting a job provided they have the language skills, job skills or education needed. Asking people who want to be citizens of the U.S. to speak the language isn't asking a whole lot.

Pearland is very diverse in the 518/288 area because so many people have flocked there for the access to Houston/Med Center area and the overall newness of the area -- older Pearland, not so much on the diversity.
These people were not strictly speaking Spanish--at times certain native words come out when trying to express yourself--especially while you're still learning. It must have been devastating to stand in the corner as a child and be punished while other kids who got in trouble weren't required to. Ask a Latino you know well if many take on a American names for jobs and education. You will be surprised.

Learning one's culture isn't all fun and games--food and festivals(I-Fest, Rodeo). Heck, this state requires you learn to their history even in college. It goes both ways. Immigrant experiences(history) includes bad incidents. Why would they want to tell you all the stories of struggle anyways when their stories get dismissed as doubtful, asinine and inebriated?

Asking people who want to be considered legitimately diverse to try and gain true perspective of these immigrants isn't asking a whole lot.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:10 PM

433 posts, read 701,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You're confusing immigrants and "immigrants". It's called illegal immigrants. Put a dictionary on your birthday wishlist.
I don't think anyone is getting confused. It is very obvious what many here refer to as immigrants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Fairly? If they can get jobs and thrive in Houston they will stay if not they will move to California which is some's definition of a fair deal. They will be treated like the hardworking decent people they are.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I've seen so many different race percentages for the Houston area (as well as others) since the 2010 Census to the point where I dont know what to believe.
here is an article you might like: U.S. Census Bureau Black History Month Feature for February 27 - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/26/4293243/us-census-bureau-black-history.html - broken link) Houston 3rd after NY and Chicago for black owned businesses

also relevant to the thread. Texas Asian Center opens in Houston Museum District:
http://www.statesman.com/life/travel...t-2214440.html

Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
here is an article you might like: U.S. Census Bureau Black History Month Feature for February 27 - PR Newswire - The Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/2012/02/26/4293243/us-census-bureau-black-history.html - broken link) Houston 3rd after NY and Chicago for black owned businesses

also relevant to the thread. Texas Asian Center opens in Houston Museum District:
Asia moves into Houston Museum District

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Racist A$$ city!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
I don't think anyone is getting confused. It is very obvious what many here refer to as immigrants.
I wasn't specifically referring to illegal immigrants (although Houston's illegal immigrant population exceeds 400,000). My point was that if a city has sanctuary status, then the city probably isn't against immigrants be them legal or illegal.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:01 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I wasn't specifically referring to illegal immigrants (although Houston's illegal immigrant population exceeds 400,000). My point was that if a city has sanctuary status, then the city probably isn't against immigrants be them legal or illegal.
Just wondering,
who's job is it to get those people? The city or the federal government?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM

563 posts, read 910,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
These people were not strictly speaking Spanish--at times certain native words come out when trying to express yourself--especially while you're still learning. It must have been devastating to stand in the corner as a child and be punished while other kids who got in trouble weren't required to. Ask a Latino you know well if many take on a American names for jobs and education. You will be surprised.

Learning one's culture isn't all fun and games--food and festivals(I-Fest, Rodeo). Heck, this state requires you learn to their history even in college. It goes both ways. Immigrant experiences(history) includes bad incidents. Why would they want to tell you all the stories of struggle anyways when their stories get dismissed as doubtful, asinine and inebriated?

Asking people who want to be considered legitimately diverse to try and gain true perspective of these immigrants isn't asking a whole lot.
Before I went to college, which I finished in the past few years, I worked at a place that had a few illegal immigrants. None were afraid of using their real names (Inez, Shakun, Cezar) and none were afraid of being picked up or their children being ostracized at school. All of them have been here 7+ years and have learned an abundant amount of English; not because we told them to, but because they wanted to learn to have a better life.

Texas doesn't require you to learn about Texas History in college. It is an option which I did not take. I don't know if you are slanting facts to make a point or if you have some kind of ulterior motive in this discussion. Yes, some immigrants have a harder time than others adjusting to a new country but if it were me, knowing the easy-going (sanctuary city) laws we have here in Houston, I would move here in a heartbeat over most other U.S. cities.

I couldn't understand what your point about the "food and culture" comment. What I do know is on March 11 for "Go Tejano Day," the largest Livestock Show and Rodeo in the world and the City of Houston are giving free Metro Rail rides to Reliant for anyone who wants to go. Last years attendance was at capacity with almost 75,000 people. Why don't they do this on any other day? Such a horrible city....

http://ridemetro.org/News/Pdfs/Event...lier031112.pdf

Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Just wondering,
who's job is it to get those people? The city or the federal government?
Get them? Like round them up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston