Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:35 AM

563 posts, read 910,342 times

Advertisements

I am extremely proud to call this place home.

The study was conducted by Rice University which found Pearland and Missouri City to be the most diverse in the area.

Houston region is now the most diverse in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM

55 posts, read 91,853 times
"The city of Houston remained more segregated than other areas of the metropolitan area."
"The report found that Pearland and Missouri City have surpassed Houston as the most diverse in the region."

So in other words these suburbs are more diverse than Houston and other suburbs are more integrated? This is a little disappointing but after living here for awhile I am not really surprised. This goes opposite of what I was told before I moved here, but so does a bunch of other stuff LOL.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I am extremely proud to call this place home.

The study was conducted by Rice University which found Pearland and Missouri City to be the most diverse in the area.

Houston region is now the most diverse in the U.S. - Houston Chronicle
Great article, Houston has most if not all ethnic groups in relative abundance for the US. When I moved back to Houston from the NYC suburbs it reminded me of NYC area ethnicity wise. The diversity adds more economic strength and resiliency than one can imagine if they havent seen it in person. Houston isnt southern, it isnt midwestern, its Houston based upon its diversity.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM

433 posts, read 701,555 times
Let's hope Houston treats these immigrants more fairly these days.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post
"The city of Houston remained more segregated than other areas of the metropolitan area."
"The report found that Pearland and Missouri City have surpassed Houston as the most diverse in the region."

So in other words these suburbs are more diverse than Houston and other suburbs are more integrated? This is a little disappointing but after living here for awhile I am not really surprised. This goes opposite of what I was told before I moved here, but so does a bunch of other stuff LOL.
Pearland is very integrated. I don't know about Missouri City or the city of Houston. On my street, we have Asians, African Americans, Hispanics and Anglos as well as many other new foreign immigrants. And our Asian neighbors include Chinese, Korean, Indian and Pakistanis. Not sure about the Hispanics - some Mexicans, but there are also other hispanics represented.

This is very much like the neighborhood I lived in in Skokie, Il and very different from the neighborhood in Evanston, IL, btw. I like the diversity.

Last edited by nana053; 03-05-2012 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Let's hope Houston treats these immigrants more fairly these days.
Fairly? If they can get jobs and thrive in Houston they will stay if not they will move to California which is some's definition of a fair deal. They will be treated like the hardworking decent people they are.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:59 AM

433 posts, read 701,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Fairly? If they can get jobs and thrive in Houston they will stay if not they will move to California which is some's definition of a fair deal. They will be treated like the hardworking decent people they are.
Houston is a city that treats their immigrants like crap. I know of many Filipinos that were automatically placed into ESL here just because they had accents. Latinos--I feel really bad. Many stories of them told to stand in the corner of the classroom for speaking any Spanish in class. This happened repeatedly through out their school years. This is in HISD and FBISD (Sugarland). One of them is in his early 20's. This happened in the mid to late 90's.

Forced to assimilate and curb your culture. No wonder most Latinos have American names or change it so they won't be discriminated for a job. Where I grew up I never met a Latino with a name of Larry, Ray, Mary, etc...it was always Juan, Ramon, Marisol, Maritza, etc. They stay here because they either don't know any better or Houston was their 3rd or 4th option.

Just because you go to lunch with these people or eat their food does not make you cultured and accept them for who they truly are. Maybe you should stop looking at them as just numbers and people on a assembly line.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach84 View Post
Houston is a city that treats their immigrants like crap. I know of many Filipinos that were automatically placed into ESL here just because they had accents. Latinos--I feel really bad. Many stories of them told to stand in the corner of the classroom for speaking any Spanish in class. This happened repeatedly through out their school years. This is in HISD and FBISD (Sugarland). One of them is in his early 20's. This happened in the mid to late 90's.

Forced to assimilate and curb your culture. No wonder most Latinos have American names or change it so they won't be discriminated for a job. Where I grew up I never met a Latino with a name of Larry, Ray, Mary, etc...it was always Juan, Ramon, Marisol, Maritza, etc. They stay here because they either don't know any better or Houston was their 3rd or 4th option.

Just because you go to lunch with these people or eat their food does not make you cultured and accept them for who they truly are. Maybe you should stop looking at them as just numbers and people on a assembly line.
I know Anglos treated poorly because they werent good looking enough or to short. We all have issues to overcome. Ill treatment because of race should not happen in Houston or anywhere nor should ill treatment of anyone for reasons beyond his control and which do not impact his or her value as a human. Assuming things is bias too so yours too is showing

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilliannie View Post

I think this has more to do with economics and it does with race. Most of the suburbs are made up of people of the same or close to economic status.(Middle class). The city on the other hand is made of of people from the very poor to the very rich. And usually people of the same economic status are going to live together. So of course its going to look like its more segregated.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Pearland is very integrated. I don't know about Missouri City or the city of Houston. On my street, we have Asians, African Americans, Hispanics and Anglos as well as many other new foreign immigrants. And our Asian neighbors include Chinese, Korean, Indian and Pakistanis. Not sure about the Hispanics - some Mexicans, but there are also other hispanics represented.

This is very much like the neighborhood I lived in in Skokie, Il and very different from the neighborhood in Evanston, IL, btw. I like the diversity.
I always thought that sugar land was the most diverse suburb. My friend use to live in Pearland and every time I went there I seen lots of Whites and Blacks, but not to many hispanics or asians. Maybe it was just his neighborhood. Sugarland on the other hand, I always see lots of asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston