Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM

169 posts, read 450,171 times

Advertisements

well, if you have to stay in a hotel, the best hotel for large groups is Casa Del Mar (61st and Seawall), it's a little dated but each room is like a small apartment complete with full kitchen and sleeps 6! The bed set up is 1 queen bed, 1 queen pull out, and a children's bunk bed. Connecting rooms are available. The only downside is even though you are on the beach here, it isn't that large in this location so you have to get up and out early.

If you can afford it, a beach house is a much better option, cleaner bluer beaches with less people. Beach Houses can fit most budgets but are still very expensive. You also have to supply all of your toiletries, which drives up the cost exponentially when you realize everything you need. The best part of a beach house the smaller number of beach goers you experience because there is only room for about 20 outsiders to park in the beach access parking lots located in most neighborhoods.

The best way to honest figure out what you would like is to actually come down and visit the island for a weekend and drive around to see what you might be able to get when you come for the full trip.

The Website for Casa Del Mar:
Casa del Mar Beachfront Suites | Galveston TX Condo Hotel
Websites for the two biggest beach house rental companies:
Galveston Vacation Rentals | Galveston Real Estate | Galveston Rentals | Galveston Realty
Galveston Beach House Vacation Sales and Rentals – CENTURY 21 Bay Reef Realty – Galveston Island Texas Real Estate
Galveston Tourism Website:
GALVESTON.COM: Official Website of Galveston Island, Texas Tourism & Marketing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:34 PM

22 posts, read 68,151 times
Everyone:

Thank you so much for all of the information. We are considering a beach house. Now the question, if the ocean is not good to swim there- do you suggest an area with a pool? Is there a difference between beach side vs bay side?

Old 03-25-2012, 06:15 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,618,395 times
If you really want to splurge, then the San Luis Hotel! As for Moody Gardens, it was nice in the past but since the hurricane it isn't so nice.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:17 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,886 times
The water is fine. Enjoy the beach and the water.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:28 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
If you really want to splurge, then the San Luis Hotel! As for Moody Gardens, it was nice in the past but since the hurricane it isn't so nice.

I agree completely awesome hotel with a nice pool and gulf views. For those who find the water so bad, reminds me of hunting for golf balls as a kid in muddy ponds on the Oklahome local course. Since I didnt die not get sick from that venture, I certainly had no ill effects of the muddy gulf water west of the mississippi river like Galveston. Any wonder we have few manufacturing jobs if people are afraid of galveston water, controling the forces of nature in refining or deep water drilling isnt for those afraid of galveston water imho. I would be more worried about getting sick at nail salons which seem to be in nearly every US suburban retail center. Not a high value add industry such as oil and gas.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:03 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
The condos I know of that are directly on the beach (rather than behind the seawall) are Seascape, Pointe West, Palisade Palms, Beachtown.

Then yes, people rent out their beach homes.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:00 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,872 times
We stayed at the Commodore maybe about 5-6mos ago- it's right off the seawall.

It is an older hotel and it's not perfect but it was clean and the location cannot be beat. Our room even faced the ocean- AND it didn't cost us an arm and a leg.

The owners are incredibly nice too and seem to be very hands on.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,289,966 times
The water is FINE!!! it is brown from the silt from the Brazos. We have a beach house and we swim in the water almost every weekend every summer. I have swam in Galveston all my life...it is not polluted or harmful. flesh eating bacteria can happen anywhere. If you have a open wound dont swim.
Rent a house from one of the above mentioned agencies and you will have a blast.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:06 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
The water is FINE!!! it is brown from the silt from the Brazos. We have a beach house and we swim in the water almost every weekend every summer. I have swam in Galveston all my life...it is not polluted or harmful. flesh eating bacteria can happen anywhere. If you have a open wound dont swim.
Rent a house from one of the above mentioned agencies and you will have a blast.
Let me know when you want to rent it for a weekend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston