Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen281713832 View Post
I don't drink and I don't do drugs. I've decided to move out of parents home. I'm a college student and have no money but I am not a junkie.
Let's be real,
at some point you are gonna have to use the bathroom, eat, etc, etc.

Your best option is to talk to people at your college, tell them your situation and ask them how much they would charge you to sleep at their place for a few months.
Maybe somebody here can help you find some kind of lease that both of you can sign and make that person feel more comfortable about you staying at their place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:40 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
There are worse situations then living in your car. At least he can lock the doors at night. He can probably shower at the gym, some recreation centers, public swimming pools, homeless shelter a friends apartment or dorm room occasionally. There are lots of places to eat and/or get food. He will be in a city he knows, with friends around.

When I graduated from high school I took off hitch-hiking to see the country. I hitched from Wyoming to San Diego, up to Seattle and back to Wyoming over a 3 month summer. Living out of my back pack, sleeping outdoors, behind bill boards, in green-belts, parks, where ever, wrapped in a plastic tarp when it rained. Having a car to sleep in would have been luxury compared to that, but I had a great experience I will never forget.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:05 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,011,251 times
Was that experience recent? Years ago that kind of experience was somewhat common.
With Houston's crime - living homeless isn't too safe?

Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Take your pick man,
all I know is that there's way too many negatives about stay in your car (no bathroom, no refrigerator, no space, possibly getting robbed, etc.)
When you stay in somebody's place, you can save a hell lot of money in food.
I could easily live for one month on cereal, frozen chicken and rice ($50/month).
Try doing that while staying in your car, plus possibly getting robbed.

Now, take note of this...
in Venezuela and Colombia we have something called "Arepas" they look just like mexican gorditas. (Video of how to make them)
The flour is sold in most mexican stores (Arepa flour) for about $3 and makes about 10 arepas (enough to feed 5 people).
Learn to make them and fill them up with tuna and onions... and thank me later.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,606,549 times
I wouldn't advise it but if you have no choice, make sure you have some type of weapon to protect yourself. Here's a link that may help you. Good luck and stay safe!

How to Live in Your Car: 12 steps - wikiHow

Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,733 times
Echoing some of the other comments; unless your home situation is dangerous in some form or fashion, up and moving out and living in your car isn't such a hot idea. At some point you are going to need to make money and finding a job without an address isn't that easy. If you can do it, it would be better to plan for a while - get a job, make and save some money then move out.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 AM

847 posts, read 1,752,890 times
plus you'd have NO INTERNET !!! omg, how would you survive? :P

but seriously, if you don't have a job, how would you be able to pay for gas to keep your car running to get a/c or heat in your car or even to relocate to a safe place to park. i would do as others have recommended, try to stay with a friend for a lil bit until you find a job

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,004,255 times
OP - It's sometimes tempting to take "the easy way out", and have a low-effort, meaningless life. I'm not trying to preach here. From your posts, it doesn't sound like this is an end-of-the-line, last-resort plan. It sounds like something you want to do.

You should really reconsider this plan. It might sound dumb, but aim high and make the most of your life. You don't want to look back and see you've wasted part of your life. You can never get that time back.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,714,259 times
Sleeping in a car at Wal-Mart or a strip mall will get you either run off or arrested for trespassing. You'd be better off in a large cargo van with tint on the front doors and a sunshield for the front, so you can have some kind of privacy. Still sounds like a terrible way to live. If you decide to go with it, maybe you can put all your thoughts and feelings into lyrics for an emo record. If successful you'd be an inspiration to millions of teens like yourself.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Was that experience recent? Years ago that kind of experience was somewhat common.
With Houston's crime - living homeless isn't too safe?
That was in 1969 and it included hitch-hiking through places like Denver, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Berkley, Portland, Seattle. Not exactly crime free places. Its not all that dangerous anywhere if you are selective about who you associate with. Most violent crime occurs between people who know each other, not complete strangers. Who you choose to associate with has more to do with your risk level then sleeping in a car.

Most of the day he will be going about his normal business, going to school, hanging out with friends, just like he normally did. No additional risk there. If he is careful about where he parks to sleep he can get by just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston