Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sleeping in a car at Wal-Mart or a strip mall will get you either run off or arrested for trespassing. You'd be better off in a large cargo van with tint on the front doors and a sunshield for the front, so you can have some kind of privacy. Still sounds like a terrible way to live. If you decide to go with it, maybe you can put all your thoughts and feelings into lyrics for an emo record. If successful you'd be an inspiration to millions of teens like yourself.
If Wal-Mart allows recreational vehicles to stay over night in their parking lot, why would they run off a kid sleeping in his car?

I agree he would be better off selling his car and buying a small van or panel wagon with more room in the back. Put in an ice chest for food, a camping stove for cooking, even a solar sun shower bag, its not a great hard ship. As far as comfort, it is not much different then living on my sailboat, which I have done for weeks at a time.

Sun Shower 5 Gal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,746 times
Living out of your car in houston is not that unsafe. for people saying he has to arm himself that is a little silly. if he were to say i'm thinking of squatting in downtown houston by myself that would be another thing.

"sez the person without any kids" commenter - yeah I don't have kids. I had the type of parents that had their children live on the streets to get away from them. so easy to blame young people though

Covenent house is a little rough. at 19 i'd use that as a last resort and get case management/referral elsewhere if needed.

from the OP's posting it sounded as if he has some money or is working as he noted looking for a place of his own

Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,994,493 times
OP - if you have good parents (maybe just a bit overbearing or you've tired of them telling you what to do) you might truly want to consider staying - get some sort of part-time job save up money for an inexpensive apt. or apt. with a roommate and then move out. Your safety is more important than someone nagging. However, if it is a bad situation for your own care and safety, then do what you need to do but the sooner you find shelter, the better. Some colleges have bulletin boards w/people advertising for roommates - you might check that option out at school

Old 03-12-2012, 08:00 PM

169 posts, read 428,718 times
do you have a job? if not, get one. before you go to sleep in the walmart parking lot, go apply for a part time job inside first.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If Wal-Mart allows recreational vehicles to stay over night in their parking lot, why would they run off a kid sleeping in his car?
Well, I knew someone several years back who almost got arrested for doing exactly that. OP- take your chances. IMO someone in an RV versus a bum sleeping in his car (with his dirty underwears on the back seat) isn't viewed on the same level. Again, trade in the Corolla and go with the van. Some girls will definitely dig the van.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 95,702 times
Well, if you're in college, why not get a dorm at the college? (or transfer to a college that has dorms if yours does not).

Otherwise, see if you can afford to "camp" at a state park, a screened shelter is usually about $22 a night, if you can come up with a tent a simple camp site is even cheaper, $12? a night maybe. I don't know which part of Houston you are in to be able to recommend one or if there are even any in the imediate area that has what I'm thinking. I know the Sam Houston State Park in Huntsville does but that's a drive. But you would have access to showers as part of the camping fee.

Another option, head in your car to San Marcos TX and check out Gary Job Corps

Are you receiving Pell only or Student Loans and Pell? You could get a cheap place on student loans IF you were considered Independent, due to your age you are considered Dependent and do not get as much loans, but I think is enough to pay for a dorm but not enough to live on your own.

You need to find somewhere to stay weather it be a camp site, dorm, jobcorps, cheap motel, because in a nut shell it is unlawful to be homeless. Let me explain why, because everything is private property and private property owners can and will have you kicked off and banned from their property (especially walmart). Then if you're on public property you're under the discresion of the local police which will ticket you for loitering. The only place you might get away with it at is a state ran road side rest area but you are limited to ONE night so you'll need to find a different one each night.

Your best option until you can get a dorm is a cheap camp site.

Last edited by techguru; 03-12-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 12:07 AM

15,525 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Some Walmarts will let you sleep in the parking lot overnight, it's up to the manager. But, I believe I read some time back that the city of Houston banned it. I recall a time or two that I let a kid park his car and sleep in my driveway. Sometimes we all just need a little timeout.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 AM

169 posts, read 428,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techguru View Post
Well, if you're in college, why not get a dorm at the college? (or transfer to a college that has dorms if yours does not).

Your best option until you can get a dorm is a cheap camp site.
not sure how long it's been since you've been in college, but dorms are more expensive than apartments now. sometimes a LOT more.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:41 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,915,922 times
If its for a few days to a week, the car is fine. Just keep moving it to different WalMarts and truck stops. You can get a shower for a few $$ at the local Y or truck stop. Longer than a week and you need a better plan.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:42 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,171,954 times
Sounds like you needed solid plans before you moved out. Sleeping in your car shouldn't have been one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston