Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

If Dallas get to count Ft.Worth, can Houston count the Golden Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:50 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
If Dallas get to count Ft.Worth, can Houston count the Golden Triangle?
No. Because Fort Worth's city limits is only 10 miles from Dallas city limits and whether people believe it or not. Tarrant County is the suburban county of Dallas (this does not mean Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas).

Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Harris County was the county with the largest population gain at 88,452 or 2.2%.
2011 Population Estimates Show Gains in South, West
I thought Tarrant County was growing faster than Dallas county.

Thought Bexar and Travis would be higher too

How on Earth Did Dallas County go from adding less than Half the number Tarrant was adding to gaining more?

I think this estimate is doing what the last decade did- that is showing Dallas growing faster than Houston, Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio, when in fact all of these grew faster than Dallas.

I know Dallas county is more than just Dallas, but that County gained 149K last decade for the entire decade so gaining 50 K in just over a year I think is overblown. Tarrant on the other hand gained almost 365K last decade, which is far more than Dallas County.

Bexar gained 320k and Travis gained 210K.

Odd That Dallas county would all of a sudden pass all of these

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
You really can't compare Houston and D/FW because it is actually comparing 1 major city against 2 major cities. Dallas consistently relies on Fort Worth to make their numbers look as good as Houston's.

Look at the 2010 census... the city of Dallas grew less than 1% while the city of Fort Worth grew substantially at almost 39%! When you combine those together, along with their 100+ suburbs, it makes "Dallas" look like a hotspot.

Houston doesn't rely on another major city to boost it's metro population. Houston has far less suburbs than DFW and a small MSA area than DFW. Eventhough our growth from 2010 to 2011 wasn't as high was DFW, it is still very close... a remember Houston is way better than Dallas! =)
C'mon bro!

Take it to the thread formerly known as the smackdown thread. Stuff like this makes all Houstonians look bad.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. Because Fort Worth's city limits is only 10 miles from Dallas city limits and whether people believe it or not. Tarrant County is the suburban county of Dallas (this does not mean Fort Worth is a suburb of Dallas).
How is Tarrant a suburban county for Dallas? FW Metro has about the same percentage of jobs in the Metroplex as it does people in the Metroplex, so I'm not sure how this is true.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:10 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That Growth in Tarrant/FW is because Dallas County is not the "cheap" place to start a family/relocate. But trust me those people most likely work in or near Dallas for the most part. I hate to crush the identity of FW but to people outside of Texas when they come to the Dallas/Ft Worth area they come to "Dallas". On TV it's "Dallas". That show big rich Texas takes place in Dallas but is filmed over around FW. I think Houston is the only place that divides Dallas and FW into two separate functioning cities that happen to be next to one another. That is not reality.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
That Growth in Tarrant/FW is because Dallas County is not the "cheap" place to start a family/relocate. But trust me those people most likely work in or near Dallas for the most part. I hate to crush the identity of FW but to people outside of Texas when they come to the Dallas/Ft Worth area they come to "Dallas". On TV it's "Dallas". That show big rich Texas takes place in Dallas but is filmed over around FW. I think Houston is the only place that divides Dallas and FW into two separate functioning cities that happen to be next to one another. That is not reality.
You're just flat out wrong. You can't honestly believe that most if those people commute to Dallas. Please explain the I-35W traffic then. Believe it or not, Fort Worth has a bunch of jobs and enough to support the FW Metro division. Everyone is not going into Dallas.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:01 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
You're just flat out wrong. You can't honestly believe that most if those people commute to Dallas. Please explain the I-35W traffic then. Believe it or not, Fort Worth has a bunch of jobs and enough to support the FW Metro division. Everyone is not going into Dallas.
The majority of employment centers in the Metroplex are East of FW.
That is a fact.

I-35 W is a horribly designed road. That explains the traffic.

Yes, people work in FW, of course.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Houston is a manufacturing powerhouse of higher paying jobs and wealth creation than Dallas has. Dallas relies on financial services, electronics manufacturing and logistics...all are low wealth creation compared to Manufacturing which Houston gets grief from Dallas. You want pretty? California or Fla has that... with low income in this economy. You want higher wealth creation good paying jobs... Houston has it hands down and the beauty lovers look down on Houston for it. We are bi polar...wanting beauty which we cant afford. Houstons growth boom is just beginning, Dallas will do better than most...but will follow Houston

Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The majority of employment centers in the Metroplex are East of FW.
That is a fact.

I-35 W is a horribly designed road. That explains the traffic.

Yes, people work in FW, of course.
Like i said above your post, the Fort Worth metro holds nearly the same percentage of jobs in DFW as it does people. Not everyone works in sprawling suburban campuses and midrise buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston