Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:08 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Anything on the west coast is going to be more expensive than anything in the south but for good reasons. I thought I was moving to Houston a couple of years ago but after an extensive visit I knew I was not moving there. Friends actually laughed when I told them I was thinking about moving there. Houston has its good points but it is simply too hot and oppressively humid with too many bugs and an automobile is a must. Cities too big and spread out where the automobile rules is not my kind of city. Seattle on the other hand is more compact, walkable, bike friendly and dense. Its downtown alone will blow dt Houston away. Seattle's population is 587,000 but yet has at least 10 times as many dt residence as Houston. Weatherwise there really is no comparison. 6 months of unbearable heat and humidity or 365 days of fresh air. Houston real estate is cheap but if thats the only reason to move there, to get a cheap house then no thanks.
Would your Seattle friends laugh the same way if you told them that you're moving to Los Angeles? It's more expensive than Seattle and as you say West Coast cities are expensive for good reasons. LA is just like Houston, sunny auto-dependent sprawl but with low humidity. If Houston didn't have the humidity, would you change your mind?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Would your Seattle friends laugh the same way if you told them that you're moving to Los Angeles? It's more expensive than Seattle and as you say West Coast cities are expensive for good reasons. LA is just like Houston, sunny auto-dependent sprawl but with low humidity. If Houston didn't have the humidity, would you change your mind?
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm going to give you my answer. Yes, my friends would laugh if I told them that I was going to move to LA, and no if Houston didn't have the humidity I personally wouldn't change my mind.

Outside of a few friends that I made while I lived in Houston, I didn't find anything to like about the place.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
In all honesty I probably would move to Houston if it weren't for the weather. I lived in L.A. for a few years and I do have to say though, Houston and L.A. are not that much alike imo.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:16 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In all honesty I probably would move to Houston if it weren't for the weather. I lived in L.A. for a few years and I do have to say though, Houston and L.A. are not that much alike imo.

I don't see why people here in Houston are trying to convince people such as pwright1, that life is good in Houston; when he never will be. Living there is very expensive. It is depressing, gloomy, cloudy, rainy, freezing (9mo out of year). That type of environment would have me super-SAD ASAP!!!!. pwright1 loves it there and nobody is going him change his mind, so let him be happy there. I love to see the same old pictures he is always showing us. It should be called false advertising, because that kind of scenery only last 2 wks out of the year!!!. Anyways, this tread should have ended long long ago.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM

127 posts, read 163,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm going to give you my answer. Yes, my friends would laugh if I told them that I was going to move to LA, and no if Houston didn't have the humidity I personally wouldn't change my mind.

<b>Outside of a few friends that I made while I lived in Houston, I didn't find anything to like about the place.</b>
Except for the Houston City-data forum. :-D

Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase33 View Post
Except for the Houston City-data forum. :-D
True...lol

I'll admit that while I don't care for Houston itself, I found Texans in general to be very nice people...

Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM

127 posts, read 163,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
True...lol

I'll admit that while I don't care for Houston itself, I found Texans in general to be very nice people...
I think to really understand and appreciate Houston...you have to live there, though some people who visit do like it. Everyone has their own opinion.

Aww, how sweet!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,464 times
considering that the OP hasn't even logged into City-Data for some six months and the fact that this thread appears to have seriously run outta gas......this one is now closed Thanks for the input everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston