Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How safe do you feel at your apartment building?
Very safe. Gandolff safe guards us. 1 20.00%
Pretty safe. Though there are the occasional sketchy characters 2 40.00%
Safe enough. I don't stay there long enough to need safety. 1 20.00%
Not safe at all. I constantly sleep with one eye open. 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:55 AM

6 posts, read 17,393 times

Advertisements

Some parts of Houston I feel, have a notorious reputation for... well... not the best criminal track records. But with that being said, who would feel safer with standard apartment security? As a college student, I'm going to be moving into an apartment soon and was just seeing the general consensus on this topic.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:03 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongz View Post
Some parts of Houston I feel, have a notorious reputation for... well... not the best criminal track records. But with that being said, who would feel safer with standard apartment security? As a college student, I'm going to be moving into an apartment soon and was just seeing the general consensus on this topic.

Thanks!
lets clear up a mis-conception security is not there to protect you, they are a deterrent at best, and eyes on the scene at most

Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 17,393 times
What method of security would you then feel is the safest deterrent?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 PM

833 posts, read 1,887,587 times
The more security just means they need to charge you more in rent to pay for it. The best security is being apart of your community and getting to know your neighbors and contacting the police if anything looks off.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,835,641 times
I was once a property manager, and while I get the whole concept of premise liability and needing to take some steps to enhance safety, it always struck me as odd how people look to landlords/their apartment complex to provide them with a level of safety they have given up expecting from their local law enforcement agencies.

People freak out and blame the apartment complex if their car gets broken into in their megacomplex parking lot. Ronald Reagan had the best security in the world and it didn't stop Hinkley from shooting him, but tenants will expect their landlord to watch over them like the secret service and then some.

As for the most effective method of security? Common sense and common precautions. Depending on the area there are various levels of random criminal acts in apartment complexes, but far too many are because people are stooopid and don't take the simplest precautions, then blame the complex for not doing more to protect them. They will leave laptops, checkbooks, Ipods and such in plain view in the car and then wonder why they got broken into, if they even bother to lock their car at all. They will have parties with people over they don't know very well. People who later return to rob them because now they know what is in the apartment. I would venture to say that in most average apartment complexes, the vast majority of break ins are people who knew what was in the individual unit before they broke in. They were either a friend, or a friend of a friend kind of deal, who went back in to get that good stereo system or computer. Be careful who you let in your apartment!

Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM

285 posts, read 568,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I was once a property manager, and while I get the whole concept of premise liability and needing to take some steps to enhance safety, it always struck me as odd how people look to landlords/their apartment complex to provide them with a level of safety they have given up expecting from their local law enforcement agencies.

People freak out and blame the apartment complex if their car gets broken into in their megacomplex parking lot. Ronald Reagan had the best security in the world and it didn't stop Hinkley from shooting him, but tenants will expect their landlord to watch over them like the secret service and then some.

As for the most effective method of security? Common sense and common precautions. Depending on the area there are various levels of random criminal acts in apartment complexes, but far too many are because people are stooopid and don't take the simplest precautions, then blame the complex for not doing more to protect them. They will leave laptops, checkbooks, Ipods and such in plain view in the car and then wonder why they got broken into, if they even bother to lock their car at all. They will have parties with people over they don't know very well. People who later return to rob them because now they know what is in the apartment. I would venture to say that in most average apartment complexes, the vast majority of break ins are people who knew what was in the individual unit before they broke in. They were either a friend, or a friend of a friend kind of deal, who went back in to get that good stereo system or computer. Be careful who you let in your apartment!
You are absolutely spot on. At my old apartment in Austin (a newish 300+ unit "urban"-style midrise), tenants would gripe constantly to the management about the need to beef up an already comprehensive and costly security system. The complex, being in a transitional area near downtown, was constantly wrestling with car burglaries, car thefts, and robberies. Despite the obvious crime issues, residents would leave everything from cell phones and GPS units to backpacks and bikes (attached to a bike rack) in/on their car because they felt the security guards, huge gates, and cameras would "protect" their belongings. But of course, they didn't. What was particularly odd was that the same vehicles were targeted over and over again - some of the tenants just never seemed to learn. Lesson: even if an apartment looks secure, take all the precautions you can to avoid being an easy victim of crime!

Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongz View Post
What method of security would you then feel is the safest deterrent?
CHL , a dog and common sense(Like don't be predictable in your movements in coming and going to your apt).

Old 04-26-2012, 08:41 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,566,312 times
I've always lived on the top floor and never had an issues in Houston. I currently live in Bellaire and we have a guard who patrols at night and it's pretty good. Never felt unsafe here.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Its apartments with security guards that scare me.

I have lived in a handful with no security and didn't have a care in the world. Now my brother's complex has cops patrolling day and night and there is still rampant crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston