Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 AM

72 posts, read 183,741 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Houston, TX BADLY. The state of Texas offers quite a few things that, as a person and as a businessman, are very appealing. Then, when you start talking about what Houston offers, it only gets better.

I've been wrestling with the idea of Houston for some time now, because I am no fan of extreme heat. However, it's difficult to overlook all the "pros" of Houston for a few cons that may not be AS BAD as I'm making them out to be.

The biggest con of them all is the heat.

I'm curious to know how others are coping with it. It is undoubtedly hot and humid, but I would like to know from those who've moved to Houston how much of a factor it has been, and would they do it all over again.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Not a transplant but for the most part a few acclimate but it seems most never stop complaining. You learn to adapt .... you do all your outdoor stuff early in the a.m. or late in the evening and your indoor stuff in the rest of the day. Other than that - it is just acclimating to the summer heat as you go in and out during the routine of your day.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
The heat & humidity is bad but it's not as if the majority of us here (posting on c-d anyway) don't have central air, a/c in our vehicles & a/c at work.

My husband has Multiple Sclerosis and the heat & humidity exacerbate his symptoms to the point where he can be completely incapacitated - he cannot move and is extremely lethargic and feels sick to his stomach. Imagine what a 104* fever would do to you - that's what he feels like. I warned him about the heat & humidity before we decided to move here but even he admits that until you live here, you really have no idea how bad it can get. That being said, now that we live here, he just makes adjustments to his/our lives. It's a given that he can't join us in most outdoor activities unless there's plenty of shade or easy access to a/c. It is what it is.

Honestly - if HE can adjust then anyone can if they choose to. As for the rest of the family, we do indoor activities and if we do outdoor, we just avoid the hottest part of the day. I think we're actually a little more organized because we have to plan things out a little better.

Would we do it all over again? Probably. Our other choice was 3 hrs north of Seattle to live near DH's sister - would have loved the beautiful scenery & proximity to BC (and teenage cousin babysitters!) but with limited health care choices there and the future retirement location for my parents, Houston won out.

I have a like/hate relationship with Houston but that's because of the sentimental tug of friends that I left behind in San Diego. But over the long term, it was the right decision for our family.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:17 AM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
I am transplant from NE Ohio.
I love the extra sunshine.
The heat and humidity we had in OH. It's just that it was for 2 weeks instead of 6 months.
I miss not being able to open windows in the house.
But overall- it is no worse that 6 months of winter.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 AM

659 posts, read 1,377,202 times
Give me a break. If you really want to do business tone down the wimp factor.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM

114 posts, read 225,186 times
It seems if you're thin you get used to it, you spend time inthe water as well, pools or lake. But the fire ants and Mosquitos are worse. Houston is the best for business! If you are church going and conservative you will like it here. My neighbors think I'm" different" because I'm neither of those things and I am funny looking. Yes we as a family suffer for it, my kids have few friends. But we are stuck here because our jobs

Old 10-09-2011, 08:31 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,844 times
Moved from upstate NY (rochester) 13 years ago.
The weather here is the COMPLETE opposite. Long summers instead of long winters.
I always hated the cold and knew I dealt with heat better than cold/
But fwiw, I go mountain biking at noon during the middle of the summer. I just cut my time back when its near/over 100 degrees because at that point it's just plain dangerous to be pushing your body at 100% in that kind of heat.

Everything here is (over) air-conditioned anyway. So it's always easy to cool off. Plus the heat allows for so much more in the way of outdoor fun/activities vs the cold. Your body will adjust as the years go by. Soon you will be freezing when the temps hit the 50's, which was shorts and sandals weather for me when I was in Rochester.

As a city, Houston is ok. Pretty stable financially due to oil. But it has its advantages and disadvantages like most other big cities.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 AM

72 posts, read 183,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Give me a break. If you really want to do business tone down the wimp factor.
So I'm a wimp because I not indifferent to a disagreeable climate?

Maybe, but I'm not going to just move, an assume that my 'indomitable manliness' will suppress my desire to be in an agreeable climate.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:13 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,805,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillion View Post
So I'm a wimp because I not indifferent to a disagreeable climate?

Maybe, but I'm not going to just move, an assume that my 'indomitable manliness' will suppress my desire to be in an agreeable climate.
Ignore him.
More than the heat, you are going to have to get used to the Texas "mightier than thou" attitude.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM

208 posts, read 270,188 times
But it's true, you have to man up.
Personally I only feel THE heat when I mow the law in the heat, find lunch in the heat and go to my car from my building (when i'm parked outside and away from my building)
The heat is NOT the biggest con here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: