Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM

481 posts, read 1,817,287 times

Advertisements

Honor student placed in jail for tardiness and truancy at school | kvue.com Austin

Hi,

Came here hoping to catch the local angle on this news story, but I guess no one has started in on it yet. Just wondering if there is a story behind the story, seems a bit weird to me but I'm not trying to start a fight or anything. I'm just trying to understand all the facts here. Also looking for local blogs with comments on this issue.

Any comments and local insight on this? I ask because I'm not from around here, so I feel as if I might be missing something significant. I'm ... having trouble trying to stay neutral and not voice an opinion.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Truancy is a problem. The school gets paid by the state per kid in a seat when attendance is taken each day. Willis is not getting their $10 a day for her. She might as well just drop out and get them in big trouble. The district has to account for their drop outs.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,445,897 times
Sounds like it's her parents and legal guardians that need to be thrown in jail. A full time and a part time job for a high school student? I know in Michigan, high school students were limited to how many hours they could work during the school week, and also limited on how late they could work at night.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Sounds like it's her parents and legal guardians that need to be thrown in jail. A full time and a part time job for a high school student? I know in Michigan, high school students were limited to how many hours they could work during the school week, and also limited on how late they could work at night.
From what I saw her parents got divorced and moved out of state and she stayed behind to finish school but has to work to support herself. Seems like a dick move by the judge to give her a criminal record.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 17,390 times
As an Honor student, I've experienced the rigors of school and work at the same time, and it's enough to make anyone want to miss school. Especially since High School honestly doesn't teach you anything you can't learn on Google nor does it teach any necessary life skills. If they had Wealth 101 or wealth 201 or how to close a real estate deal, I would take high school more seriously. Now her, working full time and part time, that's tremendous respect on my part to her and still attending school.

Now, in the state's viewpoint, I also understand that their livelihood depends on the student's attendence. And in the eyes of the law, everybody is equal. It would be baised to treat an honor student differently than a drop out student, and therefore the judge made that decision. So this is really about an ethical and moral dilemma. Should the judge give her sympathy or treat her the same?

Old 05-26-2012, 03:26 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongz View Post
It would be baised to treat an honor student differently than a drop out student, and therefore the judge made that decision. So this is really about an ethical and moral dilemma. Should the judge give her sympathy or treat her the same?
I like what a commenter said on the news last night. It is the judge's job to impart wisdom and use discretion, so if the law allows some leeway here, he should have used it.

Sounds like the honor student would be better off finishing school via a home study arrangement if that is possible. That way, she can juggle all the commitments better and then the public school will lose ALL the funding they currently get for her.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I like what a commenter said on the news last night. It is the judge's job to impart wisdom and use discretion, so if the law allows some leeway here, he should have used it.
They always doing it when they send rich people to "rehab"

Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
They always doing it when they send rich people to "rehab"
Exactly.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:29 PM

392 posts, read 633,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsongz View Post

Now, in the state's viewpoint, I also understand that their livelihood depends on the student's attendence. And in the eyes of the law, everybody is equal. It would be baised to treat an honor student differently than a drop out student, and therefore the judge made that decision. So this is really about an ethical and moral dilemma. Should the judge give her sympathy or treat her the same?
that is a good question.

In my opinion, the judge or the school should not treat honor students the same. They should receive special privileges due to their demonstrated proficiency.

If someone at work does an exemplary job, they are rewarded, with a raise, a promotion, a special parking place, maybe a status symbol of employee of the month. The idea is that if you reward something, you get more of it.

If the school wants to get more exemplary students, they must reward them. If our society wants more exemplary citizens, it likewise must reward them. It's just that simple.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 AM

66 posts, read 117,771 times
Welcome to texas, home of the new world order. Oh, and that body of yours...isn't really yours. The state owns it in the name of public safety. Have a nice day, and remember...think of the children like we tell you to, or we'll think of the children for you, in the name of freedom and democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston