Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:38 PM

913 posts, read 4,344,953 times

Advertisements

The hurricane season is here. If you asked yourself what are you going to do when power is down and your house is dark, this post is for you.

If you are undecided of a generator type to chose and your budget, please check the links below:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ying-guide.htm
How to Buy the Right Backup Generator for Your Disaster & Budget - Popular Mechanics
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000422531
Portable Generator Buyer's Guide - Emergency Generators | Northern Tool
Cummins Onan
Essential Circuit Sizing Guide - How to Size a Home Standby Generator
Generator Installation-Install Generators For Home Use*at The Home Depot
Honda Generators - Connecting a generator to your home
Cummins Onan

In short: most families go with portable gasoline generators, because they are cheaper and easier to store.
Most houses (2500-3500 sq ft) would need around 5000kW for a bear minimum: everything but the A/C, heater, oven, dryer and iron. Powering an entire house would require around 12,000kW+.

I went with a Honda EU6500is, because it has an inverter (EU models), that enables to use generator safely with any sensitive electronics (modern fridge, PC, TV) and because it is very quiet. Also because it has 240V 2-phase required to run stationary A/C units. It may power up just one, but it is enough to get by.
Honda Portable Generators and BattVerters

The second inverter-based alternative manufacturer would be Yamaha. I can’t say anything about them:
Yamaha Premium Inverter Generators

Hint: Check craigslist for generators.

How to install a portable gas generator system (back feed)

The cheapest way to hook your generator up is to have your electrician install an extra breaker and a pig tail in your breaker panel. The cons with this option is that you need to be 100% sure what you are doing when switching those breakers on and off!! This will cost around $500.

The second option is an interlock kit, which is basically metal plates on top of the breakers, that prevent operator (you!) from fiddling the wrong switches. Add $200.
Generator InterLock Kit
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=interlock+kit

The most user-friendly way to do it is a transfer switch, which is a separate box with a knife switch or a breaker-type switch. This will cost you around $1200 and up.

Generator maintenance:
- Fresh fuel only! Add Blue Marine grade Sta-bil if you store fuel for longer than a month.
- Run for 20 minutes monthly! Throw a load on it to make electric brushes clean out, large flood light or a vacuum is enough.

Few hints from user Backspace you will not read elsewhere:

Hint #1: Generators are an easy cash for thieves! Protect them! Get yourself a nice piece of the largest chain you can buy and a serious keyed lock. I recommend grade 70 or grade 80 chain, 5/16" size or better 3/8" chain size . Grade 70, 5/16" version in a 20 foot length is about $35 at Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply, or Northern Tool. The 3/8" version is $70.
Also buy a shrouded padlock with at least a 7/16" shackle or a 3/8" that has been verified to be a high performer. Here is an example.
Products - Shrouded Padlocks - 6727 - Master Lock®

Hint #2: Buy a long (3+1) 10/4 SO cord with L14-30 connector cord to run your generator out of eye sight and in a safety of your backyard.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202890987

… or make it yourself:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...-202216503-_-N
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...-202216504-_-N

Hint #3: Have an extra storage box mounted next the the breaker panel in order to store the cable inside. The same could be used for a chain. Whenever needed, you don't need to search for both in the garage. It would be right there on the wall.

Hint #4: The chances are if you're going to need it after a hurricane around here it's going to be hot and humid with very little breeze. Get yourself a small box fan and plug it into the outlet on the generator and let it blow towards the front air suction vent. It'll do wonders helping keep it cool on a 100 degree day and it'll help blow the exhaust fumes away from the house.

Hint #6:
Make sure your cable has a solid ground/earthing. As long as you use a properly wired L14-30 connector and you use all 4 conductors you'll automatically ground it via your breaker panel and home grounding rod. Some people will try to talk you into saving a few pennies by buying 3 conductor wire and not using a ground and technically it'll work just fine but I spend the extra couple cents a foot and do it right.

User Backspace, thank you for your input. This post has happened because of your knowledge and expertise.

Last edited by behtypa; 05-28-2012 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Great info!! I was looking for one a while ago. But $4K+, this baby is not cheap.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:38 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,576,646 times
Pay a little more and just go with a propane generator that kicks on when your power goes out

Old 05-29-2012, 06:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
I have the Honda, it works well for keeping the fridge going, a few lights, a fan, the TV and Satellite box. If I wanted to run the washing machine I had to unplug everything else.

My parents have a whole house gen that runs two Acs, most of the electrical in the house. I've just put one in another house as well. The drawbacks: It turns on once a month to check itself. LOUD! You have to change the oil, not an easy process, during extended use. When it runs during a power outage, you will get phone calls from the neighbors. Building a Gen. Room or House is the best way to go with these things, if you want to keep the peace around you. That, and throwing some orange extension cords over the fence to the complainers.

To me, having the Honda just makes more financial sense.It's easy to run, easy to change the oil, and really is quieter than the whole house gen.And honestly, if you're going to be out of power for two weeks, like we were around here with IKE, most likely you're going to go to a hotel after a while. Ike was a "cool" hurricane. Most of the time you will be sitting in 95 degrees afterwards. Thanks but NO.

Major storms only seem to happen every twenty years around here...so that's something to think about.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Pay a little more and just go with a propane generator that kicks on when your power goes out
Propane generators are a great option. But they are not cheap. Stationary system will cost you over $10,000, most likely $15,000.

I would rather buy 2 portable generators and a propane conversion kit. Worse come to worst I can always sell two portable generators. Stationary ones would be harder to sell.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Great info!! I was looking for one a while ago. But $4K+, this baby is not cheap.
For a bear minimum I would go with a Honda EU3500is, which is 3500 Watt. Which is enough for lights and fridge and TV and few more smaller things. $1500 on craigslist.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 AM

682 posts, read 1,942,314 times
Quote:
Did you mean a natural gas generator? Propane would require quite a large tank to power it for any length of time.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
Did you mean a natural gas generator? Propane would require quite a large tank to power it for any length of time.
There may be a natural gas conversion kit available. I just could not find it. I only saw a propane kit:
IMPCO PROPANE CONVERSION KIT FOR HONDA GENERATOR ES6500

Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM

682 posts, read 1,942,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
There may be a natural gas conversion kit available. I just could not find it. I only saw a propane kit:
IMPCO PROPANE CONVERSION KIT FOR HONDA GENERATOR ES6500
My comment was in reference to the person saying to install a whole house propane powered generator instead of getting a portable one. For a whole house generator unless you don't have natural gas service, a propane powered one wouldn't really be a good option.

You can get a 6.5kw natrual gas standby generator for a couple thousand plus a couple thousand for installation. Unless you have a old power hungry central A/C or a large house, it would be enough to power the A/C, fridge/freezer and most other small electronics. My 3 ton A/C consumes 3kw.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,235,127 times
Quote:
Natural gas, not propane. If you live in the country, you can use a propane gen. But here in Houston, we have nat gas available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
My parents have a whole house gen that runs two Acs, most of the electrical in the house. I've just put one in another house as well. The drawbacks: It turns on once a month to check itself. LOUD! You have to change the oil, not an easy process, during extended use. When it runs during a power outage, you will get phone calls from the neighbors. Building a Gen. Room or House is the best way to go with these things, if you want to keep the peace around you. That, and throwing some orange extension cords over the fence to the complainers.
Most turn on once a week. Once a month is too long to go between starts. They are loud. The weekly startup only lasts a few minutes, no big deal. But when it's running 24/7 during an outage, yeah it's loud. But the only phone calls from neighbors will be to power some juice so they can save the fridge.

As far as changing the oil, I'm not much of a handyman. I have the people that sold/installed my gen do an annual maintenance. Oil change, check all the parts, lube, filters, etc, for $225. It's worth it once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behtypa View Post
Propane generators are a great option. But they are not cheap. Stationary system will cost you over $10,000, most likely $15,000.

I would rather buy 2 portable generators and a propane conversion kit. Worse come to worst I can always sell two portable generators. Stationary ones would be harder to sell.
I have a 20K whole house generator that can handle 2 A/C units and 3500 sq ft. It was 8K installed, that includes the automatic transfer case (which is worth 1K alone) and all permits. Unless your house is well over 4K sqft, there is no need to spend 10K+.

And I will never sell it or take it. It's now a part of the value of the house when I sell it.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: