Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:08 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sla07 View Post
great feedback...sounds similar to miami weather in some instances, minus the 100+ heat index...i assume it is rainy season during summer and dry during winter?
Not really, it doesn't rain every day in the summer like it does in FL. And in the winter it can feel downright cold, being wet and in the 40s-50s, reminds me my visit to the Pacific NW in the fall, just not quite as extreme. To me it seems like the wet season is in the spring, when we get massive downpours.

Something also, Dallas has what I would consider 4 seasons, while we do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 11:16 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Houston's Summer isn't anything Like Miami.

Miami will get in the 90's, be muggy, black clouds roll in at 4pm, storm for an hour, clear up, the breeze picks up and it cools into the muggy 70s. You may feel sticky walking around in the evening, but you really aren't desperately hot.

Houston will be 95+ for weeks on end, be muggy, not rain for weeks, no breeze, and cools off to the low 80's by 10pm with killer skeeters chasing you down. During the day, if you stand still you will cook.

Just to paraphrase: Houston's heat will weigh you down and make you hide indoors for weeks. Miami's heat is just sticky,with a breeze, but you still get out and do things.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Think "diaper rash" hot and humid. That's what my kids call it. Diaper rash weather.

Ronnie
Bingo. Get some cornstach powder or the Monkey butt stuff VK mentioned. Nothing like wearing flame retardant coveralls outside in the summer.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:27 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Houston's Summer isn't anything Like Miami.

Miami will get in the 90's, be muggy, black clouds roll in at 4pm, storm for an hour, clear up, the breeze picks up and it cools into the muggy 70s. You may feel sticky walking around in the evening, but you really aren't desperately hot.

Houston will be 95+ for weeks on end, be muggy, not rain for weeks, no breeze, and cools off to the low 80's by 10pm with killer skeeters chasing you down. During the day, if you stand still you will cook.

Just to paraphrase: Houston's heat will weigh you down and make you hide indoors for weeks. Miami's heat is just sticky,with a breeze, but you still get out and do things.
It made YOU hide, I guess. Isn't doing the same for me.

And y'all are sugarcoating the hell out of Miami's summers. You're mistaken if you think their "skeeters" and other flying dinosaur bugs aren't as bad as ours. Maybe not in the breezier parts, but SoFlo is more than just Miami Beach.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

And y'all are sugarcoating the hell out of Miami's summers. You're mistaken if you think their "skeeters" and other flying dinosaur bugs aren't as bad as ours. Maybe not in the breezier parts, but SoFlo is more than just Miami Beach.

I don't like Miami Beach. The summers I was there were in The Grove or The Gables, and on the Bay. Its hot, but it's not Houston Hot. JMHO or course as a native Houstonian, who frequented Miami summers

ie: RIGHT NOW
It's 84 in The Grove. Looks like it will get up to 90 one day this week though.
It's 97 at my house in Houston

Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Not really, it doesn't rain every day in the summer like it does in FL. And in the winter it can feel downright cold, being wet and in the 40s-50s, reminds me my visit to the Pacific NW in the fall, just not quite as extreme. To me it seems like the wet season is in the spring, when we get massive downpours.

Something also, Dallas has what I would consider 4 seasons, while we do not.
I used to think the same, but honestly, Dallas doesn't have much in the way of four seasons either.

In the south, you haven't experienced four seasons until you've been in the Piedmont or other Upper South areas. Think Atlanta and most points north.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM

109 posts, read 141,073 times
Quote:

i live by the bay so i get a breeze pretty much year round, even on hot days...its hot here, no doubt...just trying to see how hot in comparison to houston (based on anybody's experiences in both locations i mean)...and yes, hot can be relative...i always keep my AC at 70 in my condo so its cool pretty much at any point when im there..friends of mine find 70 to be freezing to them and they keep theirs at around 74/75 everyday...which to me is hot, indoors...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:41 AM

109 posts, read 141,073 times
Quote:
this is very accurate of miami weather...

Quote:

thanks for the info, sounds like you have experience in miami, at least understanding the weather...

Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,961,443 times
Quote:
LIT has no idea what he/she is talking about, which is why you should probably just find the info yourself. There's a wealth of weather data out there for every US city.

The average high for Houston in August is about 94/95, with an average night time low of about 75. It's a rarity for the heat index to ever exceed 110.

This is August 2010:

History | Weather Underground
If you average the coastal parts of Houston with north and west Houston, you get lower temps, but Houston regularly cross 100F in August, I don't care what the averages say. I've lived here for 20 years and if the sun is out, it's a 100F day in August.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:34 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,036,806 times
Dallas gets hotter, has slightly lower morning humidity, and slightly lower afternoon humidity. (note that afternoon humidity graph's scale, it's not from zero)

City Climate Comparisons

(regulars on the forums should bookmark this site as this kind of question gets asked repeatedly)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston