Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 10:26 AM

563 posts, read 910,480 times

Advertisements

I was glad to hear that more people are moving here but pretty unhappy with the bland caption Houston received when compared to the other cities.

Where Americans are moving this year - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I was glad to hear that more people are moving here but pretty unhappy with the bland caption Houston received when compared to the other cities.

Where Americans are moving this year - Yahoo! Real Estate
However......in particular interest to you, Dave, " And for most of the year, the weather is pretty darned good."

As a Native, I always like how Houston tries to "re-invent" itself as a different, non-engery based / oil-based city......and yet, it still is. Everybody I know there is somehow tied to oil. That's our heritage.......nothing wrong with it.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
However......in particular interest to you, Dave, " And for most of the year, the weather is pretty darned good."

As a Native, I always like how Houston tries to "re-invent" itself as a different, non-engery based / oil-based city......and yet, it still is. Everybody I know there is somehow tied to oil. That's our heritage.......nothing wrong with it.
Please recall when I said the weather in Houston sucked? The only thing I recall saying was that around the beginning of August I start getting tired of the heat and humidity (as most Houstonians will agree). I never once said that I would rather shovel snow. I wish our winters were colder but would not trade most of the days of the year for any other place.

Back to this thread, Olikee.... The point I was trying to make is that for Houston the only thing that was mentioned was industry and nothing about what else Houston has in the form of entertainment, restaurants, or anything else that was mentioned in every other city.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I'll be happy when we are in the Top 5 of any list that has to do with building infrastructure (making our life better)

Old 06-07-2012, 11:21 AM

970 posts, read 1,873,355 times
Dave, I'm not putting you down at all! (Just a little aside from others without going into RH, dew point, how quickly sweat evaporates, etc.!)

Hey, I grew up in Houston. I know the really cool, neat stuff there. Food.....all kinds.....Galore. Great museums, art........great, great people!

I grew up with the Houston-Bashing. It continues today although somewhat passive-assertively. Texas Bashing is at an all-time high.....just as bad as in the '80s.

I grew up with the Oil Biz.......it's still the city of Oil Biz and there is nothing wrong with that! There is no need to "hide" your assets.

And, yes, Houston has a LOT to offer in the way of art, cuisine,culture, leisure activities, etc........and, it's always the bad rap or not mentioned. Frustrating.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:30 AM

157 posts, read 316,946 times
Quote:
Dave, I'm not putting you down at all! (Just a little aside from others without going into RH, dew point, how quickly sweat evaporates, etc.!)

Hey, I grew up in Houston. I know the really cool, neat stuff there. Food.....all kinds.....Galore. Great museums, art........great, great people!

I grew up with the Houston-Bashing. It continues today although somewhat passive-assertively. Texas Bashing is at an all-time high.....just as bad as in the '80s.

I grew up with the Oil Biz.......it's still the city of Oil Biz and there is nothing wrong with that! There is no need to "hide" your assets.

And, yes, Houston has a LOT to offer in the way of art, cuisine,culture, leisure activities, etc........and, it's always the bad rap or not mentioned. Frustrating.
Why for years is Houston bashed? You said it's frustrating to you. Is there a desire and will by the people to learn and grow there? I worry about Houston.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I couldn't agree more.

The people of Houston know these things but the one who wrote the list has probably never been here. It's just sad that this was an opportunity for this to be communicated but once again the city was shortchanged.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:08 PM

117 posts, read 229,772 times
Wow... The author just went to Wikipedia and picked out a few random facts for Houston. Tis truly amazing how much the author doesn't care about us...

Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,636 times
PR doesn't hurt.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:12 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/houst...hread-add.html

We already have a thread for this kind of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: